SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:30 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Great!

I love the atmospheric feel. The music fits the mood very well.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:52 PM
Xroadie
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Mar 2006
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Great!

I love the atmospheric feel. The music fits the mood very well.

Pete
Ken Trudeau, who I talked into flying the ASK21, shot the video with a head mounted GoPro and edited it together!! He should get all the credit!!
xroadie is online now Find More Posts by xroadie
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:39 PM
Hold my beer and watch this.
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined Jan 2009
510 Posts
I just got my ASK a couple of days ago and I'm about to go maiden this afternoon. The wind has been a problem but has finally laid down for a bit. It sure looks like a nice plane, but a lot smaller than I've been used to flying.
Here's a picture of the grandson and I when I went outside the apartment to hand toss it to check out the trim.
hammerfly is offline Find More Posts by hammerfly
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:27 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,170 Posts
Flew mine of the "hi-start" last weekend ... what a cute little model. I do believe it will thermal given "moderate to strong" conditions. About 40 paces on the rubber put a nice bow in the wings on the launch, but you don't have much time to hook up from the hi-start. I think aerotowing will be much better. It will certainly make a kick-butt small hill sloper, though.

Thanks Horizon!

How about a UMX Pawnee on 3S?
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
[snip]
How about a UMX Pawnee on 3S?
Great thought!

I'd include an L-19 and Stearman. At my full scale field we towed behind both and also a couple of Citabria's with extra span wings with flaps! Never saw one of those again after they got sold. Sold off to pay for three or four L-19's from the batch that Al Parker put together from Korean War spare parts.

I love the Carbon Cub, but a fleet of tugs and a fleet of gliders would make it feel like home to me.

Pete
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Tkallev,

The creases will fade a bit in a few days.

Don't use so much line tension and the more wind the less you need to stretch the rubber for a good launch.

Someplace around here I have a digital fish scale and I am going to use it to find the line tension that gives a good launch without bending the wings. It's small enough to carry with my gear. I originally bought it to weigh airplanes so it's doing what I bought it for.

Pete
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:00 PM
Hold my beer and watch this.
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined Jan 2009
510 Posts
I need to dig up my old fish scales that I used to use for my sailplanes "back in the day". Sure wish I still had the little ones around to chase after the high start. They are all grown and gone now. Oh, wait, I've got grand kids for that. LOL
hammerfly is offline Find More Posts by hammerfly
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:16 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,170 Posts
I think the 40 paces is just about right, there was no wind and the bow in the wings was just during tow, nothing permanent.

I want a 2-33, 2-32 and a 1-26 ... I have an old Sterling kit for the Schweizer 2-32 that is just begging for some UMX gear
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
I think the 40 paces is just about right, there was no wind and the bow in the wings was just during tow, nothing permanent.

I want a 2-33, 2-32 and a 1-26 ... I have an old Sterling kit for the Schweizer 2-32 that is just begging for some UMX gear
If you got creases at the aileron corner, it's too much.

On the gliders, YES! I've flown them all and the 2-22 also. The 2-22 was very pleasant to fly and I got my first hour in one.

I'd also like a Ka-7 since our club had two and I've logged a lot of flights in them.

Dreaming on I'd like a Minimoa and a Grunau Baby.

I started to build a Vampyr a couple of times but managed to be just a bit too small for the gear. This time I will build it of foam and make it definitely big enough. The 1923 version had a larger rudder. Unfortunately it was damaged and didn't distinguish itself. I plan on making the 1922 version but will use LOTS of coupled rudder, taking a hint from the '23 version. The Vampyr had a relatively wide chord and will fly in a higher Rn range and therefore probably fly better than its primitive looks would lead you to expect.

For Horizon the ASK-21 is a bit of a niche product and no one is competing with them on it so I think we may be on our own and have to build to pave the way.

Pete
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:18 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
tkallev,

Sorry, someone commented on getting creases in the wing at the inner edge go the ailerons. I thought it was you. Probably someone on the ASK-21 thread in the RTF forum.

BTW. I did get creases in my wing. The manual suggests 35 paces. A friend launched mine for me on my fourth or fifth flight and he didn't read the manual nor did I warn him so I had creases all over my wings. They gradually go away but not entirely.

Pete
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:20 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
My friend and I have had good luck towing the ASK (and a Scorpio Habicht) with a Mountain Models Cessna 180. It's not perfect, since the Cessna has no ailerons, but it works surprisingly well.
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:06 PM
USA, TX, Waco
Joined Nov 2010
79 Posts
What servos do you have in the Habicht, Please?
stephen Damon is offline Find More Posts by stephen Damon
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:59 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen Damon View Post
What servos do you have in the Habicht, Please?
HS55 on the elevator and an old Cirrus CS21 on the rudder. You could probably go smaller on the rudder. The elevator servo has to do double duty as the tow-release, so the HS55-class might be the minimum I'd go with.
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:08 AM
UK
Joined Feb 2008
30 Posts
Ask 21

[QUOTE=PeteSchug;23463025]tkallev,

Sorry, someone commented on getting creases in the wing at the inner edge go the ailerons. I thought it was you. Probably someone on the ASK-21 thread in the RTF forum.

BTW. I did get creases in my wing. The manual suggests 35 paces. A friend launched mine for me on my fourth or fifth flight and he didn't read the manual nor did I warn him so I had creases all over my wings. They gradually go away but not entirely.

Pete[/QUOTE

Just a word of caution, to check for cracks in the same areas, ours developed them with very little use, a few hand launches.
Herman65 is offline Find More Posts by Herman65
Old Sep 13, 2013, 08:37 PM
Corner Ketch, DE
Joined Sep 2005
1,317 Posts
[
ASK21 overview (0 min 44 sec)

Some info on doing a electric conversion of this plane
creeve is offline Find More Posts by creeve