SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Jul 2006
11 Posts
Build Log
World's Worst Builder

I just completed my second Berkfalke II 55..From Chris William's Plans and it was enlarged from 1/4 scale to 1/3 Scale. The first one I built with the help of my father who was a very accomplished builder and a life long modeler. Unfortunately, the first Berkfalke flew away at an aero tow in Washington last summer and then shortly there after my father passed away. I am a life long flier, but never a builder. The first one I did all of the cutting out the parts, but my dad did all of the finishing, correcting my mistakes, and doing the last 10 % which we all know takes 90% of the time!! So, on my own I built another one.. Yes, there are still people who cut all of the parts by hand. I am amazed by all of the very good builders on this forum but i am not one of them. I have found that building is such a joy and I still cannot believe that i have finished this. Scott
scottdivot is offline Find More Posts by scottdivot
Last edited by scottdivot; Nov 17, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:58 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,784 Posts
I like it!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:59 PM
Gene C
Joined Aug 2008
78 Posts
Scott,
Good to here you did not give up. The first one was a great looking ship. I remember Paul searching the trees and underbrush with only a few items recovered. I hope this one will fly as well. I just finished a 1/3 scale ASK-18, we should meet up in Yakima next June. No trees or underbrush at Disappointment field just great lift..
Gene
justhuman is offline Find More Posts by justhuman
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:24 PM
Florida
Joined Jul 2004
834 Posts
Great job Scott! It looks excellent!
Joser
Thermaleer is online now Find More Posts by Thermaleer
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:42 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
It takes time and maybe a mentor or two to acquire building skills. We're not born with skills, only the ability to learn them.

From here your plane looks great.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:38 PM
United States, CO, Delta
Joined Oct 2005
495 Posts
Scott. I have the 2 Handsome Pilots that meet their demise,plus one Voltz Servo.Let me know if you want them,i will ship them to you. As Always Paul
paul dufek is offline Find More Posts by paul dufek
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:22 PM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,802 Posts
Nice job!
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:39 AM
Upwardly Mobile
Roodepoort, South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
1,038 Posts
Hi There,
Superb, really like the colour scheme, well done with the build, hope you enjoy the flying and then go on and build many more, it is very rewarding.IMHO
Regrads
Mike
mikegbogh is offline Find More Posts by mikegbogh
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Jun 2006
358 Posts
As scotts brother i can attest to his lack of building skills... lol It seems that after dad died Scott got some of dads soul and building skills.... It really is a miracle.. I'm so proud of him :-)
dlgloco is offline Find More Posts by dlgloco
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:37 PM
Joined Jul 2006
11 Posts
worlds worst builder succeeds first flight

/Users/SCOTT/Desktop/IMG_0074.JPG/Users/SCOTT/Desktop/IMG_0075.JPG/Users/SCOTT/Desktop/IMG_0076.JPG/Users/SCOTT/Desktop/IMG_0080.JPG/Users/SCOTT/Desktop/IMG_0081.JPG/Users/SCOTT/Desktop/MVI_0088.MOV

After waiting since mid November I was able to fly my Berkfalke II for the first time last weekend at Visalia. It flew great, turned on a dime and was joy to fly.
Last edited by scottdivot; Jan 26, 2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:32 PM
Joined Jul 2006
11 Posts
anyone can do it

Well, i am proof that if you want to become a builder, you can. I had very limited prior building experience but i could fly. Been flying rc gliders since the late 1960's but i always was just a flyer, not the builder. I Just started cutting out the pieces and built one piece at a time starting with the Fuse. The most important thing i can tell you is to be persistent and do not stop working on it. .It takes time and the last 10 percent takes 90 percent of the time spent. If it does not look right, do it over and no mistake cannot be fixed. Yes, It did come out 2lbs heavier than the first one, but it flies just as good.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:48 PM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,123 Posts
Congrats Scott, a great looking model. Tenacity and perseverance are the hallmarks of this hobby, explains why so few take it up.

Steve
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:19 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Scott,

There are a couple photos of your glider, from last weekend, here:

http://www.rcaerotowing.com/forum/sh...-Sat-1-19-2013

You did a great job!

Mike
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:24 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Scott, your dad would be very proud of you. For taking on the project in itself, and even more so, for finishing it. How do you think he got to be such a good builder? By never giving up, and learning one new skill after the other. You've already done something harder than most people in this hobby - you can only get better from here. Congratulations.

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:05 PM
TEAM HORIZON
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,549 Posts
Bravo Scott, glad to see you follow through.

LEN
www.RcAerotowing.com
Lbuff1 is offline Find More Posts by Lbuff1