HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:04 PM
in the beginning...
United States, MO, De Soto
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
Question
Reasoning for a Micro motor running slow?

Champ motor isnt running at full rpm's, barely wants to get off the ground on a full battery, what do i check or do here? Is it common? While holding it, it feels smooth and seems ok, I replaced the prop for a more balanced one,just not fast enough
thanks
boats
bm2thirsty is offline Find More Posts by bm2thirsty
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:34 PM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
736 Posts
Sounds typical of a motor crapping out. These motors are hit and miss with some lasting a really long time and others not so long. The good news is they are cheap and easy to replace plus you can upgrade to the T-28/P51 motor which will make the Champ scream.
ForsheeMS is online now Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:40 PM
in the beginning...
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
hmm, ok time to do some research then. thank you
boats
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:44 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
What batteries are you using, how old are they and how cold is it there?

Since Winter is coming, there is going to be lots of threads that say "my Champ/T-28/Etc doesn't have any power/shuts off early/pulses".

The answer is Batteries. Lipo's don't work in the cold and they don't last forever. 6 months is a lifetime for a 1S micro battery and 55 degrees or below will shorten flying times considerably.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:37 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,034 Posts
Don't get mad at me for asking - but is the replacement prop the same length and pitch as the original and have you checked to make sure it's on the right way?
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:20 PM
in the beginning...
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
I will double check the prop if its on the right way honestly didn't think about that when putting it on, but it is the stock replacement,.. Its for sure not the batteries, after having issues I took em out and flew the p-51 around with em, tried 3 different batteries, same results.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:54 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm2thirsty View Post
I will double check the prop if its on the right way honestly didn't think about that when putting it on, but it is the stock replacement,.. Its for sure not the batteries, after having issues I took em out and flew the p-51 around with em, tried 3 different batteries, same results.
If the batteries fly a P-51, its definitely not the batteries. A new 4 site motor is a good swap. these are usually cheaper than a mustang motor, but the same spec.

P/N EFL9052
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:02 PM
in the beginning...
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
Is it just as simple as swapping motors? Or are the gears etc..gonna need replacing also. If I used either a p-51 or 4 site motor?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:05 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Is it just as simple as swapping motors? Or are the gears etc..gonna need replacing also. If I used either a p-51 or 4 site motor?
You just twist the old motor out and the new one in with needle nosed pliers.

Gears and plugs are the same. Mustang and 4 site motor wires are longer so they are easier to plug into the brick.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Assume you know this, but numbers on the prop go to the front, plane will still try to fly if prop is on backward, but have no power.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:06 AM
in the beginning...
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
The prop is/was on properly, so i'm just gonna take it apart see if anything pops out at me, if not then i guess its time for a new motor...

@ungn, just to verify, this is the motor that you said will work without changing anything around correct? is that a stronger motor then the stock champ? or bigger?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...FQeDnQodmXYA3Q
thanks for the help
boats
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:27 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
The prop is/was on properly, so i'm just gonna take it apart see if anything pops out at me, if not then i guess its time for a new motor...

@ungn, just to verify, this is the motor that you said will work without changing anything around correct? is that a stronger motor then the stock champ? or bigger?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...FQeDnQodmXYA3Q
thanks for the help
boats
The Motor is the Same size as the Champ motor, just more powerful.

You should be able to get one for about $11 shipped. If A-main has free shipping that is about the right price when ordering a single motor.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:00 AM
in the beginning...
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
perfect, thank you