HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:03 PM
United States, HI, Pearl City
Joined Aug 2006
301 Posts
Cool
Airbrush Rain Drops

Hi!

I have been doing a complete overhaul of my Jouster and decided to try my hand at some airbrushing. I watched a bunch of videos on YouTube and thought, it can't be that hard, so here we go.

I repainted the fuse with Krylon Fusion Gloss White and waited several days for it to dry. I taped up the area that I wanted and sprinkled on some water drops. Pulled out the airbrush and used some bright blue enamel paint and sprayed it at a very shallow angle. I still have to wait for the water to dry, but it's looking way better than my first attempt (which I didn't use enough paint).

Scotty
wsmorton is offline Find More Posts by wsmorton
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:34 PM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
1,965 Posts
Nice try
some airbrush info here
regards
Sam
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=985105
samwei1950 is online now Find More Posts by samwei1950
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:47 PM
Joined Aug 2006
301 Posts
Thank yo for the link. There's some great ideas in there I just might have to try myself.

Here's some more pics of my progress. It's not exactly what I had in mind, but it's getting there. I'm still learning how to use the airbrush and the paint/thinner ratio might be too much on the thinner side. The other side will be better.

Scotty
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:55 AM
Lover of fast slope gliders!
United States, AZ, Goodyear
Joined Apr 2004
550 Posts
Ahhhh!!!!!! The old Jouster lives!
glasairIII is offline Find More Posts by glasairIII
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:40 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Mar 2012
38 Posts
A quick note if you want your drops to pop a coat of clear over the top will help give the three-dimensional look.
radacl69 is offline Find More Posts by radacl69
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined Aug 2006
301 Posts
Thank you for the tip. I am still playing around with the paints, angle of spray, thinner and clear coat to get the best effect. I have already removed the paint three times and am still getting use to the airbrush. Practice makes perfect. The I also found out that the effect is very delicate (rubs off easy) if you don't follow with some kind of clear coat. I'm using the enamel paint (model master) from the hobby store and feel that I might need to get some different paint that works better with an airbrush. In the meantime, I still have to finish installing the servos and rudder. I really like the dual action airbrush, I just need more practice with it.

Here is the video I use for inspiration to keep at it.
Airbrushing Water Droplets (8 min 30 sec)

Scotty
Old May 19, 2013, 01:06 PM
Joined Aug 2006
301 Posts
Well, after a break from the Jouster to finish up some other projects, I decided to get back to airbrushing the Jouster fuse. I wasn't really happy with the way the first attempt came out, so I re-sanded the fuse and tried the raindrop effect on the tail. It came out a little better, but still not as perfect as I had hoped. Even with a few thin coats of some Clear Gloss, it looks just OK. So I then decided to add a chrome/silver leading edge to the tail with some shadow effect and it looked a little better. I also added another thin clear coat to help lock in the silver and shadow.

Here are some pics of the results.

Scotty
Old May 19, 2013, 01:16 PM
Joined Aug 2006
301 Posts
On to the next step...... Panel Lines and Rivets!

After watching some videos on how to do this, I gave it a try and it didn't come out too good because of the white fuse. Panel lines are supposed to be black. I also did some practice rivets to get a feel for the technique. I re-sanded the fuse, again, and then decided where the panel lines will go. I airbrushed those areas in black and bought some 1/8 inch pinstripe to use for the mask.

Here's some pics before I apply the pinstripe mask.

Scotty
Old May 19, 2013, 03:21 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,648 Posts
You're hired! I'd love to see my old Cumic done up in a scheme like that!
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old May 19, 2013, 03:42 PM
Joined Aug 2006
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossfly72 View Post
You're hired! I'd love to see my old Cumic done up in a scheme like that!
Thanks!! I just applied the pinstripe to create the panel lines over the black. I used 1/8 inch wide pinstripe from the auto parts store. I would have much preferred 1/16 inch, but I will have to make do with what I can find locally. The cheap pinstripe also didn't have an absolutely perfect edge but it will be close enough.

Now I have to decide what color to paint the fuse. I already have some chrome enamel but I also have some pearl blue acrylic that would also look really nice for the panel colors.

Scotty
Old May 19, 2013, 05:28 PM
Joined Aug 2006
301 Posts
I decided to paint the fuse silver, since I am going for that metal panel look. I also used some 220 grit sandpaper when I re-sanded the fuse and now the small grooves made by the sandpaper makes the silver panel really stand out.

Now to let everything dry for a day or two and then give it a thin coat of clear gloss to help keep any smudges to a minimum as I handle the fuse to finish the painting.

Scotty
Old May 20, 2013, 05:08 PM
(Batteries not included.)
Mesa AZ
Joined Jun 2001
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasairIII View Post
Ahhhh!!!!!! The old Jouster lives!
Is that the Jouster I built from Harley's plans? If so I'm happy to see that it's still around.
Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft
Old May 20, 2013, 05:56 PM
Joined Aug 2006
301 Posts
Yup! That's the one!! The fuse is getting the new paint job, some new servos and an LiFe battery with regulator. I'm also redoing the rudder and elevator with some lighter covering. I'll then focus my attention on the wing and install some smaller servos and new covering. I also have to straighten out the warps in the flaps and ailerons. If all goes well, she'll be back in the air by fall.

I'm really tempted to put our names under the canopy, starting with yours. I have forgetting who had it after you. I think it was Eric ???? and then me.

I just gave her a light coat of clear gloss to help keep the paint from smudging while I finish the painting.

Scotty
Old May 22, 2013, 07:05 PM
Joined Aug 2006
301 Posts
Made some more progress yesterday and today. I airbrushed the rivets using the template I made and then went over the masking tape edges to highlight the panels a bit.

I'm not perfectly happy with the way the rivets are turning out. I will need to make a new template after this project to better apply the rivets. I'm also thinking of adding a bit of highlight to each rivet to help it stand out a bit more and to help clean it up. I haven't decided how best to do this, yet.

More to come....

Scotty
Old May 23, 2013, 08:56 PM
Joined Aug 2006
301 Posts
After looking at a ton of pics of real/airbrushed/Photoshopped rivets, I saw that I needed a touch of some white highlight. So back to the workbench to touch-up the rivets.

It came out much better with the white highlight. The next step is to remove the pinstripe to expose the panel lines. I am thinking of adding a few decals first. I have to find some thin decal sheet that I can use in the inkjet printer. Maybe some "No Step" decals here and there.

Scotty