SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by 420TEE, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:24 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,616 Posts
Don't be surprised if Walmart comes out on top of the bidding war & rebrands the snack line Ol' Roy.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:56 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
Ha ha Chauncy I miss you buddy you were a great dog!

BTW he got Ol’ Roy and leftovers every night as growing up we were poor and he never had an issue. That said back then I also worked at Wal-mart and was required to wear a tie everyday, I made $4.25 an hour which was better then minimum wage at the time. I will qualify my statement saying it is a very different world and employer these days.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:45 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,123 Posts
Hope...
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Last edited by woodybob; Jan 18, 2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:03 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,616 Posts
LOL!!!!! That's going up as my new avatar on our expat forum.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:53 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,668 Posts
Arrrrghh!!!!
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:16 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,616 Posts
To paraphrase Moses' oft-repeated words...

Quote:
So, as we set out this year to defeat the divisive forces that would take Twinkies away, I want to say those fighting words for everyone within the sound of my voice to hear and to heed, and especially for you, Mr. Rayburn: 'From my cold, dead hands!'
Old Jul 08, 2013, 09:46 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,616 Posts
Twinkies are B-A-C-K!

There is a God in heaven!!

Quote:
As more than 50 million Twinkies start making their way to stores next week, the first order of business for the 83-year-old brand's new owner is to let customers know a classic is back.

But behind the return of the familiar cream-filled sponge cake is a leaner operation, free of the union contracts and the $1.3 billion in debt that saddled the brand's previous owners. With that clean slate, the new owner and chief executive, C. Dean Metropoulos, plans to launch an ambitious growth plan and avoid the problems that led to two Chapter 11 bankruptcies, the last of which ended in liquidation.

In his first interview about the company's strategy, Mr. Metropoulos said the new Hostess Brands LLC, based in Kansas City, Mo., will be focused on innovation, efficiency and getting more Twinkies in more places.

"Wherever you find a Snickers bar or M&Ms, you should be able to find a Twinkie," he said.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...534891582.html
Old Jul 08, 2013, 11:18 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,939 Posts
Wal-mart stores are supposed to be getting the first shipments.
While Hostess was down, the catering outfit that fills the vending machines at work put Mrs. Freshley's version in. I found them to be much better than the Twinkies and other products that they copied.
I don't like the idea of them putting down the Union while the upper management robbed the company blind which was really the downfall of IBC.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:40 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Just love these guys who diss the unions. They won't find out why unions developed in the first place. They won't beieve that Europe has been running on "unions" (called guilds) for the last 400 years. If you bury your head deep in the sand, then you won't be bothered by facts.
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Jul 12, 2013, 07:25 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,939 Posts
Seeing how forum sites like this don't like politics I won't get into Michigan's new Right-To-Work laws. Let's just say that I've been a Union worker for coming up on 41 years now.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Jul 12, 2013, 09:59 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
I am a member of the Craft brewers guild of Virginia. It is one of 49 other such guilds in the US for our industry..

no dues, nothing about labor.. all that blah blah It's a trade organization that promotes our product segment and works on changing laws that limit access to our product. as well as connecting workers with employment opportunities, and business people with investment opportunities in our segment.

it really is about growing our segment, making jobs in our industry, and promoting our industry as a whole.

Friends.. if I may please ask all of you, please write to your respective representatives and ask them to support the Small Brewer Reinvestment and Expanding Workforce Act.

H.R 494, the BREW act.

the meat of the bill establishes that any brewery that makes under a million bbls a year is considered a "small" brewery, and there fore, the federal excise tax per bbl of beer goes from almost $10 a bbl, to around $3.50 a bbl. the pre 1993 tax level.

and... um.. that's pretty friggen big.. it meens the industry I work for.. EXPLODES!!

in a good way...

thank you for your time.. and... yay team twinkie.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:35 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Good for you guys, bgnome! Maybe that will save the horrible reputation of American beer. IMHO, there is no better holiday than going from village to village in the UK sampling their unique regional and local beers... My liver will hate me for that, gotta die somehow!
Old Jul 13, 2013, 04:43 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Good for you guys, bgnome! Maybe that will save the horrible reputation of American beer. IMHO, there is no better holiday than going from village to village in the UK sampling their unique regional and local beers... My liver will hate me for that, gotta die somehow!
Thank you good sir,
We are also making inroads to distance the term "American Beer" from beer made in America, to it being called by its style Guidline term of "American style Lager"

The US's craft beer movement over the past 35 years has actually turned the US into a world Beer tourism destination

A lot of old world styles which are mostly extinct in their homelands are being represented by folks in the American craft beer movement.

another purpose for trade guilds..

If more labor unions followed the path of trade guilds, there probably wouldn't be so much of a backlash against them. IMHO.

The Twinkie situation, by my observation, was that both labor and management were willing to destroy the company to get their way.. and well... they did.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Last edited by bgnome; Jul 13, 2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:32 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
I have always maintained that there is no such thing as a labor problem, there is only management problems. I worked in union shops and non-union shops, and the only times I ever got really screwed over was in non-union shops where the boss wasn't the King, he was sure he was God. It is guys like them that make unions necessary.

The reason that guilds don't work here in North America is that companies aren't mature enough to cooperate with them. Personally, I think they should eliminate all mangement courses and degrees, and make the professors work in non-union shops for the rest of their lives....
Old Jul 24, 2013, 07:42 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
Amen to that brudda! I work construction as a trade and too many kids show up as 'construction management' types who have no idea what to do and how to deal with people to do it. This is why in a town with a huge surplus of labor/trades for construction the project managers go far away where they can bully and bait the suppliers and labor into doing the job cheaper (and not nearly as well) as locals can.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008