Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by 420TEE, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:40 PM
United States, CT, Wethersfield
Joined Mar 2006
1,107 Posts
Isn't a twinkie supposed to survive a nuk blast and last 1000years
Browndog is offline Find More Posts by Browndog
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:36 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
Isn't a twinkie supposed to survive a nuk blast and last 1000years
Yes it is, but we had one division manager take a package of twinkies, and
a package of cupcakes, and slip it between the glass panels at the top of his cubicle.

They sat inside, visible to everyone, for six months, at which point they started molding very badly.
One of the senior managers finally asked him to remove them.

So, less than a year, and that doesn't speak to the freshness prior to mold growth.

Oh, and Little Debbie is one of the subsidiaries of Hostess, or the other way round.
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:11 PM
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Aug 2011
140 Posts
Hostess

Not to worry! China take over and continue to supply these treats and probably ship them in the same containers as their lead painted toys and other wonderful little bobbles.
DDWILLIE is online now Find More Posts by DDWILLIE
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:26 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg View Post
BOB- YOU SAY YOU STUFF “LITTLE DEBBY”. BAD BOY!!!!
Robert Pulse is offline Find More Posts by Robert Pulse
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:36 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,065 Posts
Oh, the horror, the horror!
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:36 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,661 Posts
Rich you want to live forever? Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven. (Milton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH404 View Post
The loss of Hostess is bittersweet....

As a little kid our parents would say 'be good and you could have a twinkie or a cupcake'...But after the sugar rush it was so hard to stay good because we were bouncing off the walls....I also grew up on Coca-Cola and Pepsi too.

Today I try to keep my kids away from such sweets and tell them that Soda is for the grown-ups. (Even though I rarely touch the stuff anymore) This is simply because that stuff is so darned bad for kids (or anyone else for that matter)...

I do have fond memories of Twinkies though..When I was 5 I would call for my neighbor who was the same age and we would walk down the block and get Twinkies from the old lady that we would affectionately call "The Twinkie lady"...It was a different world then.

-Rich.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:37 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Wow. A huge company taken down by an obnoxious minority. That really stinks! Open your eyes, America!

Ho Ho's are so much better than the other brands, and Twinkies, and all their other stuff. I'm really bummed
Andy, et all....

The employees voted to stay out on strike KNOWING their jobs would be forfeit. The "owners" were vulture private-equity funds. Financial rapists, who had apparently already forced major working condition, benefit, pension and wage concessions from their employees previously by threatening to take the company into bankruptcy, firing everyone and selling out if the employees didn't bend the knee. The employees capitulated but management still took the company into bankruptcy again anyway. (Also, according to a management-hired consultant, the proposed cuts to the employees compensation wouldn't have saved the company and he also pointed out that company executive compensation would not have been adversely impacted by the proposed cuts.)

The vultures and management were ramming a bankruptcy court-ordered 27 to 32 percent combined wage and benefit reduction down the workers throats. Those were their own jobs to sacrifice! The employees just went all-in and called instead of folding like the good little serfs management expected.

It was the workers' right to shove their proverbial finger up the company. I think you might do it too if your employer walked in and said 'you're going to take a 27 percent or more compensation cut. You don't like it? Well tough ! We got the judge to go along with it. We have voided your contract.'

I'd say that, like Samson, the employees were entitled to bring these financial Philistines' gilded temple down upon their heads, after all it had been the employees' workplace in the first place.

Americans bend no knees to kings, financial nor otherwise. It is high time Main Street got its guts (and other parts) back and reminds Wall Street of that fine old tradition.

(Oh, and don't worry. Your sweet tooth won't go a-wanting. One of the other industrial bakers, Entenmann's owner, Bimbo Bakeries USA has already been mentioned, will buy the rights to the Hostess Brands and recipes. The Ho Hos, Twinkies and Ding Dongs will probably be back on grocery shelves in a year of two. Wonder Bread will rise again.)
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Nov 17, 2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:18 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,263 Posts
RIP Twinkies! 1930-2012.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:20 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,563 Posts
Do the name BAIN CAPITAL mean anythin' to ya?
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:22 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,635 Posts

No Embalming Required!

It's alive, ALIVE!!
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:42 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki View Post
Yes it is, but we had one division manager take a package of...
We did that once with an "Apple Pie" or whatever they call that thing from a "Major" fast food resturant... We ended up forgetting about it only to rediscover it a few years later still in its cardboard package- it looked just as "good" all those years later as the day it was set aside...
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:51 PM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Pulse View Post
Little Debby!

Never heard of it but looked it up and ..........

Sorry, couldn't help it

Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Ahh they were good, a bit pricey but tasty. And I have had a moldy Twinkie as well so that combined with current events has opened my eyes to the reality that they are not eternal. Guess just the roaches and gators will be left.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:25 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,542 Posts
It is a sad day for a peice of Americana has died for now. the stores shelves went empty really fast. I managed to buy the last of the visable berry pies they had at my favorite grocery. I can understand both sides and the decisions each made. The bottom line became when you have to charge 4 times the price for some thing that is comparable, people will usally take the less exspensive route when pocket book is lite. Greed on both sides are to blame and I feel sorry for those that it effected that were not part of the strike: suppliers, middle people, distributors, sales people, office staff.......
My imagination when the news came through was to picture Will farrels charater from "OLD SCHOOL" standing at the grave of old mblue, but this time replacing it with Twinkie or Ding Dong singing "dust in the wind" and finish with sayiny " Your my snack Twinkie, i love you!!"
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:38 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,397 Posts
Twinkie

If you only knew how GOOD those Green twinkies were for you, no body would be complaining, just buying them anywhere they could get them!
Robert Pulse is offline Find More Posts by Robert Pulse