HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Jack Crossfire, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:30 AM
Calif*
Joined Sep 2006
2,125 Posts
Discussion
Servocity pan/tilt notes

It's an extremely heavy duty machined, high quality camera mount. It has potential mounted on a heavy duty tripod for making panoramas, but it's not precise enough to make timelapses or aim a telescope.

After some shock at the lack of potentiometers for determining the angles, it turned out the servos are multi-turn winch servos & the gears are designed to convert the complete range of the servos to exactly 1 360' turn.

They take the standard 50Hz 1ms-2ms servo PWM. The servos turn quite slowly & there's a long delay, which means you'll need an IMU to know where it's pointed at any instant.

The $50 dual servo controller saves time in figuring out the protocol, but does nothing but generate PWM. There's no feedback from onboard position sensors. It has no voltage regulator.

Most of the cost goes to having it made in a strange country.
Jack Crossfire is offline Find More Posts by Jack Crossfire
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Falcon 9 footage
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:09 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Crossfire View Post
Most of the cost goes to having it made in a strange country.

I looked at the pictures first before reading the text, and was thinking "Yeah. It's $45 because it's made in the US" when you nailed it with even a better description.

I've been following all your blogs with great interest. Keep 'em coming.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09