HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Would you put your contact details on the plane?
Yes - (Not every one is bad, I am insured, I will risk it) 69 74.19%
No - (I would rather lose a plane than face litigation, fines) 24 25.81%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:03 AM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
There every where I tell you, every where!! Watching, listening .... even the chipmunks are wired.

OH EMM GEE!!! You're right!!!
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:28 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Of course I do. Besides being an AMA requirement, it's the responsible thing to do..

And as important, years ago I got a call to come get my glider that was 50 miles away..
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Last edited by rtbates; Nov 19, 2012 at 10:30 AM. Reason: forgot
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:17 PM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
793 Posts
I lost a Radian about 4 months ago. It had my name and phone number on it. It never came back so I assume some mongrel pinched it or it is in the middle of a forest waiting for the lipo to go up in flames, start a forest fire destroying 1000's of acres of trees, destroy hundreds of homes, kill lots of people. Sounds funny but it is a serious question. I am amazed what fire forensic experts can find and attribute the starting of fires too.
Watdazit is online now Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:48 PM
Tricopters Rule
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2012
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse_7 View Post
There are quite a few guidelines that are regularly ignored, especially by park fliers.

If you read the safety code, it actually states that you have to maintain control through the entire flight. I'm willing to bet that in a large claim, the AMA would try to use that to avoid paying out. Lawyers would make it a very complicated ordeal.
The Ama will do everything in its power to avoid paying period!
The insurance is just a sales gimmick to fund the museum and jobs for the boys.
Panzlflyer is offline Find More Posts by Panzlflyer
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:00 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,277 Posts
Truth be told the AMA will do everthing in its power to get the claim PAID. The premium was paid by the AMA to an insurance company. It is in the AMA's best interest to get the claim paid.
Having said that because the hobby is as safe as it is there are few large claims. That does not mean that I am not an AMA member. I am and have been for many years and I will be so for as long as I am able. Better safe than sorry.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:19 PM
Tricopters Rule
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2012
532 Posts
I am an AMA member as well, its been my experience that they have done nothing.
Panzlflyer is offline Find More Posts by Panzlflyer
Last edited by Panzlflyer; Nov 19, 2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:03 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
I lost a Radian about 4 months ago. It had my name and phone number on it. It never came back so I assume some mongrel pinched it or it is in the middle of a forest waiting for the lipo to go up in flames, start a forest fire destroying 1000's of acres of trees, destroy hundreds of homes, kill lots of people. Sounds funny but it is a serious question. I am amazed what fire forensic experts can find and attribute the starting of fires too.
That was my reasoning as well. In the U.S., there have been forest fires that were accidentally started. After the fire is out, the law will be looking for whom ever started the fire and when they find them, they can almost bet on jail time, a heavy fine and restitution for the burnd down homes. And if someone died in the fire, well they might as well go out and hang themself.
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:37 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,083 Posts
Is anyone aware of a legal case involving a rc plane? I did some "rough" calculations and I would say it is very improbable that a plane will directly hit a person. Unless of course you are mad enough to fly it in Bangkok, Mumbai or Wall Street.
rcmaverick is offline Find More Posts by rcmaverick
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:41 PM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,375 Posts
I find the "hit & run driver" mentality of some of you disturbing.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
It is disturbing but all you to do is experience it one time and discover the thousands you will spend to defend yourself. When the person walks away from court he has nothing but debt, the lawer and his client have made out quite well. Heck, even the judicial system makes out from the hefty fine they levy against the person. If I see my plane impact and injure someone then yes, I will render assistance and aid and take my lumps.

My plane flys off into the blue yonder and starts a forest fire that burns 20 homes, I probably won't be telling anyone I was flying in the area.

We Americans are far, far too fast to want our 'pound of flesh' when someone feels that they have had their feelings hurt or their ego bruised. Cause a minor injury and they want a leg from you. Sad as it is, that is the American way.
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:59 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
My wife was dropping my daughter at school. She has this Toyota Echo (3dr). The doors if you have observed are extra long. On a windy day the door flew open as she tried to open it and slightly hit a newish car next to it. There was no dent just a 2 mm x 5 cm line of white paint. She waited for the owner to return and apologized. The owner would not listen and just started abusing. She cleaned up the paint with a soft cloth. She took pictures before and after. There really was no visible damage. However the new car owner decided to take it up with the insurance co. They made a claim and "fixed" the damage. We landed up paying an excess of $500. We argued using pictures but we lost. When I asked for the proof of repair:

"Damage to rear bumper bar"

I am yet to figure out how?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:56 PM
United States, IA, Sidney
Joined May 2012
177 Posts
Just my local tel. number got my plane back after 10 days in a backyard. I am not worried about this. My Radian has more info. on it then a phone number.
tyme4me is offline Find More Posts by tyme4me
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:06 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmaverick View Post
My wife was dropping my daughter at school. She has this Toyota Echo (3dr). The doors if you have observed are extra long. On a windy day the door flew open as she tried to open it and slightly hit a newish car next to it. There was no dent just a 2 mm x 5 cm line of white paint. She waited for the owner to return and apologized. The owner would not listen and just started abusing. She cleaned up the paint with a soft cloth. She took pictures before and after. There really was no visible damage. However the new car owner decided to take it up with the insurance co. They made a claim and "fixed" the damage. We landed up paying an excess of $500. We argued using pictures but we lost. When I asked for the proof of repair:

"Damage to rear bumper bar"

I am yet to figure out how?
if your wife took pictures...i'd so be fighting that !!
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:50 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
if your wife took pictures...i'd so be fighting that !!
In Australia once you have comprehensive insurance you can straight go to the insurers repair yard and get it fixed. I was told regardless of whether you caused the rear bumper damage, you will still have to pay excess since you admitted to the "accident". Why should I fight this and waste my time to save my insurer money? I have to pay $500 anyway..

All you need is one slight nudge or brush with another car and you can get your entire car fixed. Perhaps get the car serviced, engine tune ups - some new decals as well. Ok I am being sarcastic now..
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:55 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmaverick View Post

All you need is one slight nudge or brush with another car and you can get your entire car fixed. Perhaps get the car serviced, engine tune ups - some new decals as well. Ok I am being sarcastic now..
wow....didn't know that man, that's pretty extreme !!! guess you gotta take one for the team for that....hate that for you
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC