SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Would you put your contact details on the plane?
Yes - (Not every one is bad, I am insured, I will risk it) 69 74.19%
No - (I would rather lose a plane than face litigation, fines) 24 25.81%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:03 PM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,371 Posts
IMHO that's a bit like asking if you would leave your contact info if you accidentally hit a parked car while you were driving.

Of course I would.

I'm careful when I drive, and I'm careful when I fly, so the chances of damaging property or causing injury is slim, but there is always risk.

If you aren't prepared to take responsibility for an action or activity, then I'd say don't engage in that action or activity.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:25 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,532 Posts
Being an old free flighter I put the AMA stickers on all my stuff out of habit. It has brought a few planes back home over the years. And being a contest flyer it's a rule that you have your name stuck on the planes somewhere. As said, if you can't take resposiblity for your actions then maybe you shouldn't be flying models. I've seen all kinds of goofy crashes in 40 years of playing with model airplanes,stuff happens,simple as that. But if when stuff does happen and someone gets injured or property gets damaged you should step up to the plate. Paranoia be damned, do the right thing even though you think it might hurt. No excuses for not doing so in my book.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Eagle has landed
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:54 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,089 Posts
None of my indoor planes have my info, because#1 I have never had one go outside without me carrying it. #2 most all my outdoor planes will not get out of the flying site, that is 10 miles from town, and the nearest house is 3 miles away. That being said, they will go on my wife's trainers, that can fly for some period of time with little to no input. We consider ourselves to be safe and responsible flyers after 53 years of flying together, and me as a contest flyer for quite a few years. Got burned out and out hucked by the younger crowd Yes we have had several lost free flight models returned over the years, and one by a youngster of about 10 years of age. We promptly told him to keep it, gave him some fuel and a glow clip, instructed him on the proper use of the plane and sent him home a "Happy Camper" which gave us a warm and cozy feeling, and made him a hero. Cell phone# and reward are sufficient. Roy AMA # 8045/CD
Mr. foambuilder is online now Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:16 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfwreck View Post
Hey now,
If you're in the AMA and don't put contact info or your AMA number on the model it voids your insurance. But that's a side issue. I take responsability for my actions. Now I don't put a lot of info on the plane just phone number email and the word $reward$. I've found that most folks think fifty bux is a great reward for a plane and even a slope Zagi is worth more than that.
RobII
I take responsibility for my action, however I just forget to put my name on my plane, and there is no houses that are extreamely close to our field.
3Daddict is online now Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:47 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,830 Posts
i think its more useful for folks who fly farther out and higher up - i fly low altitude and close to me so i never saw the need for putting my contact info. not saying you can't lose a plane that way but typically you'll know where it lands. plus, i don't fly anywhere else except my club field and keep it close. if i cause anyone any trouble they know where i am.
but while i do have AMA i also don't assume that if someone does decide to sue me they would stay within the limits of AMA coverage. you can be sued for any amount. specially in CA.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:07 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
yep phone number,mailing addy,and name on all my planes.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:02 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,069 Posts
I use a black sharpie and write my name and phone number on the belly of all my planes. I am willing to own up!
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:18 AM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,643 Posts
It seems that most AMA members will put their name on the plane. I do not because of the litigious nature of Americans. Just as bad are the police. Should link to the plane fail for what ever reason and your plane inpacts a car with someone in it, you will get sued and the police will find a way to write you a ticket. If given the chance, the police will even haul you off to jail. If you were doing 3D then the witnesses will all claim that you were flying erratic.

When someone says they put their name and number on their plane because they do not mind owing up to their actions, they should realize that it is not they that owe up ... it is the insurance company. Saying they are going to 'owe up' or 'man up' is admirable, but the reality is that it could cost them a lot more than the actual damages caused by the errant plane.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:34 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
It seems that most AMA members will put their name on the plane. I do not because of the litigious nature of Americans. Just as bad are the police. Should link to the plane fail for what ever reason and your plane inpacts a car with someone in it, you will get sued and the police will find a way to write you a ticket. If given the chance, the police will even haul you off to jail. If you were doing 3D then the witnesses will all claim that you were flying erratic.

When someone says they put their name and number on their plane because they do not mind owing up to their actions, they should realize that it is not they that owe up ... it is the insurance company. Saying they are going to 'owe up' or 'man up' is admirable, but the reality is that it could cost them a lot more than the actual damages caused by the errant plane.
Just because your paranoid don't mean there not really watching you
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:27 PM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
Ama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
I know, I have been guilty of it on many occasions. It's very common that people overlook this rule. I am trying to get back into the habit, because quite frankly, if you put the address in the plane you have a better chance of getting it back if you ever lose it.
By receiving an AMA card you have agreed to their practices and rules. You don't adhere to their rules, you don't get anything from them in return when the sh_t hits the fan.

Curious as to what your defence argument would be in a liability trial? Cause the AMA lawyer is going to stand up and produce evidence you did not meet their criteria, you falsified your application and therefore...you are screwed by a simple, irresponsible mistake.
Foambird is offline Find More Posts by Foambird
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:36 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
I actually put my contact info on other pilot's planes when they aren't looking.............so far I have a dozen free planes I need to rebuild and the phone keeps ringing
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:41 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
2,014 Posts
Lol!
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:14 AM
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Jan 2012
287 Posts
I fly close to a prison. I don't need to loose one over the fence and have them think I'm delivering drugs or something.
LawnDartMike is offline Find More Posts by LawnDartMike
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:11 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foambird View Post
By receiving an AMA card you have agreed to their practices and rules. You don't adhere to their rules, you don't get anything from them in return when the sh_t hits the fan.

Curious as to what your defence argument would be in a liability trial? Cause the AMA lawyer is going to stand up and produce evidence you did not meet their criteria, you falsified your application and therefore...you are screwed by a simple, irresponsible mistake.
There are quite a few guidelines that are regularly ignored, especially by park fliers.

If you read the safety code, it actually states that you have to maintain control through the entire flight. I'm willing to bet that in a large claim, the AMA would try to use that to avoid paying out. Lawyers would make it a very complicated ordeal.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:37 AM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
Just because your paranoid don't mean there not really watching you
There every where I tell you, every where!! Watching, listening .... even the chipmunks are wired.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member