Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by bobepine, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:06 AM
Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins
Canada, ON, Kapuskasing
Joined Mar 2012
1,373 Posts
Trader Rating: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
I forgot to mention that I decided to submit a new design today for a small quad I will be testing.

I will call it the Armattan One.

The design is the result of collaboration between Creepy1 and I. He basically put the design together and then I modified it to address a few things I felt needed tweaking. I basically added strength to the arms, modified the center piece, changed the skids placement and tweaked the size of the whole thing as well as motor mounts. Oh and I added the Armattan logo to the center piece and I lined up the mounting holes

It's called the Armattan )ne because it doesn't use center plates. It's a one solid piece of 6061 aircraft grade alumi. The current V3 center plates are 1.6mm thick for a total of 3.2mm. Aditionnally, it requires using 8 bolts and it overlaps onto the arms to clamp on them when assembling the frame. Now, if we take out this overlap, use a smaller center piece and eliminate the need for 8 bolts, I think that despite going from 3.2mm to 4mm on the center piece, the result is a frame that will be quite a bit lighter.

In other words, the arms are much shorter as they do not need to extend between center plates and we lose 8 steel bolts and nuts. And we also lose weight by dramatically reducing the size of the center piece, although we add rigidity by using 606i, 4mm at the center.

This frame will be a small 260mm, motor to motor, acrobatics frame.

Full credit goes to Creepy1 for this design. It is his idea. And it's a brilliant idea. He gave me the OK to do as I see fit with the design so I modded it a bit based on recommendations from the boss at the CNC factory, and based on my own preferences as well, but bottom line is the design will remain about 90% Creepy1's design.

I will have two of them made to test and I decided to ship him one FOC. The other one I will test myself.

Stay tuned for the Armattan One 260.

Many thanks, Mr. Creepy1

Best,
Chris
Thanks bud. Happy to have helped. Lets be honest. Your quads are solid, unbelievably priced, and tuned to fly like nothing I've seen. Hopefully this way it will be cost effective, and actually put abit of that cash in your pocket instead of all in your quads. You deserve it bud. Can't wait to see it!
Creepy1 is offline Find More Posts by Creepy1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:04 AM
Finding Creative Ways To Crash
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan's Flyin View Post
Dude.......There is nothing to laugh about. I think it looks great! That is one of the best things about these. You get them and make them your own! Your own style, colors, lights, all that stuff. If anyone ever steals it and I see that Quad, I will KNOW that is yours!
You are being very humble. It is a cool quad. It's HUGE! We have the 2 biggest Armattans in existence! Good job and tyvm for the pics.
Thanks Bryan!

"If anyone ever steals it and I see that Quad, I will KNOW that is yours!"

LOL! Yup, I pretty much could pick-out any of your Armattan's out of the crowd. I got your six...*Big (heavily armed) Grin* Hahahahaa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
I agree with Bryan - I see nothing wrong with that build! In fact I think it looks like a pretty decent job. I hope you'll video it soon!
Thanks rexless, I know it looks a little funky, but I like it. It will be a bit before I get any vid. (Couple week’s maybe) I'm under a self imposed grounding until I get some more stick time on the little ones. Not flying the 700 sense Thanksgiving, then just snatching it up and going balls-out was a mistake. It only takes a split second to lose concentration, and then goes the orientation and WAMMOO! I've once again turned my 700 into a plow and I'm tilling-up the pasture..Hahahahaaa!

However, I'm not so sure how long I'll be able to hold-out because; every time I get a glance of it, the ole thumbs and eyes start to twitch. Then, I get this real childlike yet devilish look on my face and begin to repeat: "Must fly the Armattan" "Must punch the throttle and hold wide open" Bwaahaahaahaa!

-Pat
RCCrashTestDummy is offline Find More Posts by RCCrashTestDummy
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:12 AM
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Chris,

I was just going over all of your recent posts and it really sounds like you've a LOT of good stuff in the works. I'll just sit-back/wait and see what you come-up with rather than go full custom 600mm+ on the frame. The flat 500mm+ CNC arms you mentioned and new 6061 center plates might be just what I'm looking for at a production price.

-Pat
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:14 AM
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
One more thing Mr. B. Flyin; do I see a Hexasquid in your very near future? Hehehehee, that would look AWESOME!

-Pat
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:21 AM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCrashTestDummy View Post

Thanks rexless, I know it looks a little funky, but I like it. It will be a bit before I get any vid. (Couple week’s maybe) I'm under a self imposed grounding until I get some more stick time on the little ones. Not flying the 700 sense Thanksgiving, then just snatching it up and going balls-out was a mistake. It only takes a split second to lose concentration, and then goes the orientation and WAMMOO! I've once again turned my 700 into a plow and I'm tilling-up the pasture..Hahahahaaa!

However, I'm not so sure how long I'll be able to hold-out because; every time I get a glance of it, the ole thumbs and eyes start to twitch. Then, I get this real childlike yet devilish look on my face and begin to repeat: "Must fly the Armattan" "Must punch the throttle and hold wide open" Bwaahaahaahaa!

-Pat
I don't think I've had a single flight of any multicopter without at least a few "unplanned landings". Tough to take it slow and easy ... where's the fun in that!

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:40 AM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Trader Rating: 34
Quote:
One more thing Mr. B. Flyin; do I see a Hexasquid in your very near future? Hehehehee, that would look AWESOME!

-Pat
Yes you do.......a couple of them at the least!! Also going to do one with non-Squid arms but about the same size 530-550mm. May even go bigger if Mr. L will let me!
I came up with a new design last night while cranking down a few glasses of Crown. It is totally freaking radical! Going to talk with Chris and send him over my crude drawings and see what he says.
Bryan's Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Bryan's Flyin
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:43 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,264 Posts
Trader Rating: 164
Quote:

-Pat
You say what? All custom made as per Bryan's request. He had to wait a long time but it's finally here. Not exactly cheap, either, but man... oh man... this thing is a monster. Just beautiful, if you ask me. Motor to motor is 550mm. Top plate is 1.6mm 1051 and bottom plate is 2mm, 6061. VERY strong. Metallic plate and anodized plate can be swapped to change to a metallic look if wanted.

Best,
Chris

bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:49 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,264 Posts
Trader Rating: 164
And this one is Bryan's 600mm hexa. It's using the same center plates as the above Squid. Also a monster, and even bigger than the Squid Hexa.

Both frames pictured in the last two posts are not actually assembled. The parts are just layed out to give youse an idea.

Best,
Chris

bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:53 AM
Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins
Canada, ON, Kapuskasing
Joined Mar 2012
1,373 Posts
Trader Rating: 11
Quote:
You say what? All custom made as per Bryan's request. He had to wait a long time but it's finally here. Not exactly cheap, either, but man... oh man... this thing is a monster. Just beautiful, if you ask me. Motor to motor is 550mm. Top plate is 1.6mm 1051 and bottom plate is 2mm, 6061. VERY strong. Metallic plate and anodized plate can be swapped to change to a metallic look if wanted.

Best,
Chris

I gotta say... with the arms like that it forces the weight balance to the bottom which makes for a lower center of gravity. Perfect for a camera gimble due to it being less prone to shakes. Well done guys!
Creepy1 is offline Find More Posts by Creepy1
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:03 PM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Here is what I am building today. Another CNC 355, but this will be a bad little monster with the 2600kv RCX motors, 30 Amp RCX SimonK esc's, KK 2.0 w/ LCD and one of my custom wiring harnesses to eliminate the power dist board and make it lighter and a low profile center!

Pic 2 will be on the Hexa-Squids! Pic 3 is where I live and the Squids will be doing a lot of Lake flying this spring and summer. Lake of the Ozarks, MO. Over 2000 miles of shoreline! It is permisable for women to go topless on the Lake I know, I know....I live in Hell, but somebody's gotta do it! Google : Party Cove, Lake of the Ozarks and you will see........ (WARNING: Boob alert!)
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:15 PM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Quote:

Best,
Chris
Quote:
And this one is Bryan's 600mm hexa. It's using the same center plates as the above Squid. Also a monster, and even bigger than the Squid Hexa.

Both frames pictured in the last two posts are not actually assembled. The parts are just layed out to give youse an idea.

Best,
Chris
HOLY SH*T!!!! Those are beautiful!!! I am speechless! Dude.....YOU are the man! To answer your question last night....YES I would like those ASAP!! WOW!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:20 PM
ma:re
Joined Nov 2012
77 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Quote:

Best,
Chris

This is the nicest and most beautiful frame ever seen!

When are they going on sale? Preorder available?
mare22 is offline Find More Posts by mare22
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:35 PM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Cold Weather Quad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
You know I think that is a golden idea! I was thinking of just wrapping the ESC in light plastic and leaving them on top if the arms but for cold weather flying the heat could be useful! When I was flying I did check the ESC s a few times and never noticed any heat but all together there might be enough generated to keep a small space a little warmer than ambient.

Then in spring if the temperature is making the container to hot we could change over to mounting on the arms. I really like the idea of an all weather flyer.
So although I have lots of other stuff to do I can't get this out of my mind. I think it can work with the ESC's inside the soap box. Here's a mockup with two ESC's. With careful trimming of the heat shrink and some creative wire harness making I think it would work. It will actually be easier when the motor wires go directly out a hole in the side of the box right next to the ESC at each motor arm. The RX can velcro to the top of the box, with the connection wires on the hinge side.

Add some of that mesh wire cover stuff to put the motor wires through and it should look super clean.

I took the pic outside so there's snow in it .

cheers,
Andrew

PS. I had a bit of mis-information in an earlier post. The F20 ESC's already have a heat sink. I was just playing with my faulty one and I took it off to see if any of the FET's looked suspect.
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:57 PM
WITCH HUNTER EXTRAORDINAIRE
USA, FL, Boca Raton
Joined Feb 2001
832 Posts
Trader Rating: 102
Nice!!!
bushpilotx1 is offline Find More Posts by bushpilotx1
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:04 PM
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Quote:
Holllleeeeyyy sheep sh^t Batman! Game freaking over, Check F-ing Mate!!!

My goodnes that looks even better than I imangined. My head is swimming with idea's right now.

Order from Chris
Order lower KV motors for hex, 2200kv gonna burn to much juice.
Order more ESC's
Order GoPro
Spend countless hours on forums gathering info on FPV set-up, return to home GPS goodnes, etc.

Ahhhhh! losing my mind... Must eject/log-out, credit card catching fire! To quote the great Col. Steve Austin: "I can't hold altitude, she's breaking-up, she's breaking-up!"

-Pat
Closed Thread