HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by bobepine, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:48 PM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Change to 2822-12 1800kv motors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3SHXX View Post
Andrew, I went with the "RCX 2822-12 1800kv motors", amazing power, smooth and I am getting at least 10 minutes time with just the cheap Zippy HK 2200mah 20c batteries.....!!!
Hey Chris,
apologies in advance, but is it too late to change the motor choice for my CNC355 DIY kit to these ones (RCX 2822-12 1800kv)?

The more I think about it, I think they're a better match for the kind of flying I'll be doing for quite a while to come.

If it's too late, then that's OK.

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:17 PM
United States, TX, Spur
Joined Sep 2011
298 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan's Flyin View Post
C'mon Man!!!! At least email me a pic! You killin' me over here!
+1 for sure Chris. Hex is GOOD!
I was about to e-mail you to ask about a Hex center plate and cost of 2 extra arms for Brian's first design. Now I am glad I did not order the first Bryan frame yet.

Thurmond
T3PRanch is online now Find More Posts by T3PRanch
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:56 PM
WRX STI V - EJ22 - 35.3 PSI
Malaysia, Selangor, Puchong
Joined Nov 2012
874 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Hey quick question folks, I'll be running the 2826 motors 30amp escs... In time to come. Yall think I should get a set of extra 7 inch props too? That way I'll have 8 and 7 inch props.
U think I'll get more flight time with those? I mean I can always switch when it Fancys me, i.e if I need a longer flight time...

Cheers
Ayo
Ayodhya is offline Find More Posts by Ayodhya
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Nov 2012
874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan's Flyin View Post
I believe you to be exactly right about the cooling effect of the alumi against the esc.
I have come to believe that the natural cooling effect of the prop wash against the metal and the actual esc itself is beneficial for cooling the esc's as most metals will retain the ambient temperature and the rotors blowing down on the arms which should cool them down somewhat and that would be transmitted to the esc via proximity. That said, I wonder if removing the shrink wrap on the esc's opens it up to more damage in a bad crash, ie blade strike....or to moisture, causing a short. Or if flying in hot climates, will that heat from the sun be transmitted more easily through the alumi arms and affect the esc's? In this case, I would probably want to use white heat shrink to reflect the heat of the sun......

Personally, my next Armattan builds are going to be with shrink wrap removed and positioned on top of the CNC arms. There is a new spray coating coming out that will eradicate any moisture problems very soon.

Great comment, T3PRanch
Yea the new spray coating works fine... I have the Ar done and its spray coated and it works fine ..i.e all electronics... Still doesn't mean one should drop it off at the nearest lake or pond tho lol
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:11 AM
Joined Nov 2012
874 Posts
Oh and u guys ( Bryan &chris BC) let us know how your BC fpv design is coming along my best to both u 2 geniuses ! Keep it coming lol

Ps- cant wait to see the video... Had a wet dream about the little orange/ black power house , hehe !
Last edited by Ayodhya; Dec 23, 2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:20 AM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Thanks for the kind words,TayNinh68. I can't believe this thread has reached 50 pages already. I'm very flattered. And still, no major problems reported.
For that you are to be applauded Chris, and I sincerely wish for your continued success.

Quote:
On a separate note, I have not had time to work on a FPV design yet, mostly because I'm a bit humbled at my lack of knowledge as to what needs to go on such frames, and where it needs to be positioned- This even includes the FC position on the frame.
Flattering others by emulating their designs is an international pass-time Chris, but typically the Forward orientation of the FC is between two legs, so that a fixed azimuth camera can look between them .. sound familiar .. lol. Lack of mounting area between your center plates (only 4mm) would need to be mitigated by creating an additional equipment layer .. most likely above your PD disc position. The FC should be on top layer, so the pilot can see diagnostic led's .. adjustment pots .. USB port etc. Then you have the Rx ,, Vtx, OSD stuff .. antennae .. GPS mast and other goodies that an individual builder may want to install such as separate Rx, Vtx, and camera/gimbal batteries. It's like going from a dirt bike to a swamp buggie

Quote:
Now, that said, I have been working on something else. Bryan's Flying asked if I could put together a hexa design and I spent a couple hours at the CNC factory yesterday working with the boss on the drawing board. I put a very strong emphasis on keeping the design light this as to not need to redesign it again and again, and I think I have a final design that is simply awesome. Samples will be made this week and will be shipped to Bryan for testing next week. I have ordered two different sets; One using 1051 grade alumi, 1.6mm thick, and one using 6061 aircraft grade alumi, 2mm thick. The 2mm ones will be heavier but also incomparably stronger.
Now .. I've read all 50 pages, and one thing that stuck in my craw is your "1051" materials designation, so I guess it was not a typo. It is not a common designation here in the states excepting the 1xxx series which is basically pure unalloyed aluminum such as full-soft Aluminum 1100 "tinfoil". The 6061-T6 alloy can be effectively cold formed without effecting it's mechanical properties as long as minimum bend radius for a given material thickness is observed, and in your latest published application design, brakes (bends) should always be perpendicular to the grain. Heating is not necessary, and most likely deleterious.

I hope you are successful in going from 4mm to 2mm material thickness as weight is always a factor, but I expect some additional forming may be involved for rigidity; and if so, I suggest you prototype in both grain orientations for effects on rigidity. Still, even 2mm (0.080" here) weighs 1.13lbs (512.5 grams) per square foot .. that's gonna be challenging.

Quote:
I don't actually want to show this design yet, not even to Bryan, because it's a surprise. That's how awesome the design is. I will be producing these frames if the demand is there for it, but I won't be selling them as RXR. I'll only be selling the frames. Stay tuned, guys.
Yep .. frames only .. good choice amigo. Builders can pick and acquire what they choose. No way you wanna finance an inventory of MT4008's for instance, at a hundred bucks a pop per rotor (motor and esc retail).

Quote:
Best,
Chris
Wishing All Success
TayNinh68 is offline Find More Posts by TayNinh68
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:35 AM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined May 2005
594 Posts
Trader Rating: 65
Chris, this is the beauty of the word FREE MARKET Society. You are challenging the majors, keeping a competitive price and providing a valuable service to your customers.

I actually am waiting for the FPV frame set up for a quad. Look whats out their and make it your own. FPV needs landscape and the board needs to be accessible. The TBF design is great, aka (flying squirrel or aka dead cat)

But then make it yours!
DbleX is offline Find More Posts by DbleX
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:27 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,438 Posts
Trader Rating: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayNinh68 View Post
For that you are to be applauded Chris, and I sincerely wish for your continued success.

Flattering others by emulating their designs is an international pass-time Chris, but typically the Forward orientation of the FC is between two legs, so that a fixed azimuth camera can look between them .. sound familiar .. lol. Lack of mounting area between your center plates (only 4mm) would need to be mitigated by creating an additional equipment layer .. most likely above your PD disc position. The FC should be on top layer, so the pilot can see diagnostic led's .. adjustment pots .. USB port etc. Then you have the Rx ,, Vtx, OSD stuff .. antennae .. GPS mast and other goodies that an individual builder may want to install such as separate Rx, Vtx, and camera/gimbal batteries. It's like going from a dirt bike to a swamp buggie

Now .. I've read all 50 pages, and one thing that stuck in my craw is your "1051" materials designation, so I guess it was not a typo. It is not a common designation here in the states excepting the 1xxx series which is basically pure unalloyed aluminum such as full-soft Aluminum 1100 "tinfoil". The 6061-T6 alloy can be effectively cold formed without effecting it's mechanical properties as long as minimum bend radius for a given material thickness is observed, and in your latest published application design, brakes (bends) should always be perpendicular to the grain. Heating is not necessary, and most likely deleterious.

I hope you are successful in going from 4mm to 2mm material thickness as weight is always a factor, but I expect some additional forming may be involved for rigidity; and if so, I suggest you prototype in both grain orientations for effects on rigidity. Still, even 2mm (0.080" here) weighs 1.13lbs (512.5 grams) per square foot .. that's gonna be challenging.

Yep .. frames only .. good choice amigo. Builders can pick and acquire what they choose. No way you wanna finance an inventory of MT4008's for instance, at a hundred bucks a pop per rotor (motor and esc retail).

Wishing All Success
You clearly know a lot more about metal than I do. That said, the boss at the CNC factory has been in the business for over 40 years. I have a feeling that if he wanted to use heat to make the squid arms, he had a good reason for doing so. Perhaps he just wanted to be on the safe side.

Anyways, you seem to be misunderstanding what parts use what metal, which is probably my fault for not writing this succinctly enough. The arms remain 4mm. And the center plates remain 1051 1.6mm. Just one extra set of center plates will be cut using 2mm 6061alumi.

Weight is always something I have to try to cut down and future releases will keep getting better in that department, though, at some point, reducing weight will affect strength too much so it's a matter of finding the right balance. One thing is certain, I'd rather build something that is slightly heavier than most models out there that use G10 and CF because that just breaks too easily. This is how this whole frame making thing started. I wanted to make something strong for myself because I was tired of breaking frames every second flight. So the idea is to use make up for the weight addition with the proper specs. Mind you, the 355 clocks in at only about 30 grams heavier than the Whartox frame. I also have a V3 version in the works for the Armattan CNC frame and I think I will be able to reduce the weight by about 25 grams while retaining very good strength. The idea is to remove metal wherever it doesn't add structural strength and this is where the difference will be made with the V3. This same idea is implemented on the new hexa design.

Stay tuned...

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:14 AM
Joined Nov 2012
874 Posts
And to everyone on this thread.....MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HAAAAAPPY NEW YEAR! :beer:!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:18 AM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Trader Rating: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayodhya View Post
Oh and u guys ( Bryan &chris BC) let us know how your BC fpv design is coming along my best to both u 2 geniuses ! Keep it coming lol

Ps- cant wait to see the video... Had a wet dream about the little orange/ black power house , hehe !
Thank you very much for the kind words, but all credit should go to Chris. I just have had a couple of ideas I have written down while pounding some tall Crown & Coca Colas. So, all credit goes to Chris.
Chris takes my crude drawings and turns them into the final product and tweaks them into the beautiful works of iron you see today. He sent me a pic of the V3 center plates.........Holy SH*T!!!! They are SUPER nice!!

The spray coating I am talking about has not been released to the public yet, but let me tell ya...it's a game changer. In the company videos I have seen, they coat just the outside of an iPhone and then submerge it in a bowl of water and it keeps working UNDER water for over an hour with only the exterior of the phone being coated. I'll keep you guys posted with updates on the release.

This thread rocks, but only because of Chris and all you Armattan owners (and future owners) and contributors. A good, friendly thread where you don't get your head bit off for asking a question. Chris is a natural teacher and craftsman. He makes the people around him better through sharing his ideas and experiences with us. It just goes to show ya what we can do when we all work together!

Here is wishing you all a Merry Christmas and if you don't celebrate Christmas, I hope you have a good day anyway! PEACE
Bryan's Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Bryan's Flyin
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:55 AM
AMA# 980507
United States, FL, Loxahatchee
Joined Feb 2011
319 Posts
Trader Rating: 39
This coating company wouldn't be Liquipel?
Th3UmBrA is online now Find More Posts by Th3UmBrA
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:19 AM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Trader Rating: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3UmBrA View Post
This coating company wouldn't be Liquipel?
No Sir! Triple top secret!!
Bryan's Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Bryan's Flyin
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:22 AM
Joined Nov 2012
874 Posts
Hi Chris ,

Rated this thread !
I only wish it had more stars to vote on hehehe

Now,
A brief history on what happened to me here, might help new guys like me to understand how unique this gents services and altogether personality is:

To begin with , I didn't know and still don't know squat or least much on quads. I came here kinda worried that I might get jumped or blown off for asking stupid questions... Never happened.

From day one Chris has been an absolute pleasure to deal with... He's put up with a lot of my annoying questions, explained away a lot of questions.. And done so in a manner where even a noob like me would understand. What I've learned about him is simple, he doesn't over charge, very considerate, and even though hes modest about his knowledge in reality he really does know what he's doing. Pure genius. Don't take my word for it, just see how many of these babies he's pushed off. Also notice the lack of complains of his product by buyers. No complaints = great product.

As you scroll down further you can also see how dedicated he is ... I mean the guy is pretty much like on call for each and every one of us to help us.. And Iv noticed he does this to not only ppl who buys he's stuff ... But ppl who are just curious. To me that itself is the trait of a great builder ! Not only does his works of art perform like bats out of hell, but just watching he's videos itself will show u how dedicated this guy is. He's doing what he loves and is excelling in it ,in everyway.

For me Chris was the first guy I went for a quad, and to me he will also be the last person. I can see myself buying a lot more than just the cnc 355 in the future because Chris knows not only to sell great quads but also keep us coming back for more.. He does this with honesty and principle.

Ok I'm gonna shut up now, but before i do, it also helps to have ppl like Bryan, n3shxx,mrexx, creepy1, noahb and all of you who are so helpful to noobs like me. You guys, big thank you, y'all make getting into this hobby a true pleasure as it is meant to be.
Makes ppl like us wanna come just hangout in this thread cuz this place is too damn comfortable just not to.

So guys, newbies, pros, whoever you are, as far as this thread , the ppl in it and the quads that are built in here just wanna say two words to best describe them " TOP NOTCH"

All of you guys have a great season and my best to you all with nothing but the best wishes to you, your families and loved ones.

Best regards
Ayo
(Pronounced ah-yo) hehehe

Cheers gents !
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:43 AM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,434 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
What a great love fest! LOL
My two cents, I agree with the rest of the folks. Chris built me a great quad and although I haven't yet flown it to it's potential I have flown it enough to know it is well built and its exactly what he promised it would be. I have no doubt that once winter fades I'll be flying like a bat outta hell.
The group on the forum are great as well. I know I'll learn a ton and hopefully contribute along the way!

Now to see if I can find a good place to fly... There's 20cm of snow everywhere I look...
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:04 PM
Joined Nov 2012
874 Posts
hahah rexless , yea the holiday season got me dang mushy ! sniff sniff, dammit my woman is gonna whoop my ass when she finds out i bought this , the hubsan x4 and the ar drone 2.0 ... oh well , whats life without flying
Closed Thread