SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by bobepine, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:24 AM
United States, CT
Joined Mar 2011
422 Posts
Trader Rating: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3UmBrA View Post
Got my DIY 355 CNC kit together tonight. What a pleasure it was assembling it. Went together pretty easy. I did shorten the ESC to motor cables though to clean it up. Hovered it in my living room and it hovers nicely. Going to give it a test run tomorrow morning before I have to go to work. Here she is sitting on my workbench:
that build looks good, nice neat job, and in one night, i'm really milking mine, what motors on yours?
adrenahelin is offline Find More Posts by adrenahelin
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,667 Posts
Trader Rating: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan's Flyin View Post
Hey Thanks Thurmond! I just had an idea and asked Chris and he had these done for me. Chris is the man to get this stuff from.

I also want to add that these are more expensive than the regular straight CNC arms. The labor on these is much higher because they heat the metal first to bend it, then cut it out. I get all my frames from Chris and buy my electronics from mostly the same places as he does. 50% of the fun for me is building them.

I think Chris mailed my order yesterday and it normally takes 7 days for it to get here in central Missouri. I am hoping to get it Monday the 24th. If so, I will post pictures on Christmas day of the Squid completely built.
Yeah, they heat the metal as to not create "fatigue" so that the arms remain as strong as they would be when NOT bent. These guys know what they're doing. More importantly, they know what I use these parts for so that's why they suggested using heat. If it were used for different applications that do not require strength, they would not necessarily need to heat the metal to bend it.

Regarding shipping time, I think you guys will be disappointed this time because I got a stern warning from the post office. I shipped 12 orders today and I was told there would be a delay due to the holidays in the US. So brace yourselves for unusual wait time, here, guys. I think you're looking at 3 weeks wait this time around. Maybe even more. I actually have no idea. All I know is that deliveries will be delayed for sure.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:42 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,667 Posts
Trader Rating: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo5 View Post
Chris,
looks as we discussed ... BUT ... just had a thought ... are the F20 ESC's man enough for the 2826 motors? I seem to recall you went with 30A ones with the 2826. If not, or close to the edge, then lets go with the 2822/1800kv motors. Let me know what you suggest.

I also sent an email with my address, etc. Is there anything else you need from me at this point?

cheers,
Andrew
The head band isn't all you need. I also used a GoPro mount and I had to make adapters using clear lexan plates cut in a "L" shape, as seen in the picture.

I suppose there are different ways to go about using the GoPro headband but there will be a certain amount of tinkering to make it work with an iPhone.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:28 AM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Trader Rating: 34
Quote:
Got my DIY 355 CNC kit together tonight. What a pleasure it was assembling it. Went together pretty easy. I did shorten the ESC to motor cables though to clean it up. Hovered it in my living room and it hovers nicely. Going to give it a test run tomorrow morning before I have to go to work. Here she is sitting on my workbench:
Looks very nice. I like the esc's on top of the arms too. I think it might also help with cooling the esc's too because of the direct air flow.

Looking good, lets see the flight demo soon!!
Bryan's Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Bryan's Flyin
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:20 PM
United States, NV, Carson City
Joined Jun 2012
147 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
Hi Chris
I was able to get the Go Pro Headband and I'm waiting for it to arrive (friday) so I can start to figure out the rest of its assembly to hold the iPhone. Thanks for the help I tried Tennis headbands and a few other ideas but I know this will give me a working setup.
Thanks Again
Carl
cmeisteriii is offline Find More Posts by cmeisteriii
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:53 PM
AMA# 980507
United States, FL, Loxahatchee
Joined Feb 2011
319 Posts
Trader Rating: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenahelin View Post
that build looks good, nice neat job, and in one night, i'm really milking mine, what motors on yours?
Quote:
Looks very nice. I like the esc's on top of the arms too. I think it might also help with cooling the esc's too because of the direct air flow.

Looking good, lets see the flight demo soon!!
Thanks for the nice words guys. I didn't use the 1800KV motors on mine as I wanted to get acquainted with how she flies first. I used 4 1100KV motors from HK:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Flies nice and mellow for me right now as I suck at the acrobatic stuff lol. I will try and get some footage of it flying tomorrow morning before I drive to work.
Th3UmBrA is offline Find More Posts by Th3UmBrA
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:09 PM
Finding Creative Ways To Crash
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
Quote:
Okay Gentleman, here it is............... I call it the Armattan "-BF510- Squid" edition.
My-oh-my, what do we have here? That last pic of the 355 and the Squid together, man, makes me want them both! Must resist.....Must spend money on Christmas presents for family...Must stay away from PM and PayPal....Hahahahahaa! Looks really good you guys!

-Pat
RCCrashTestDummy is offline Find More Posts by RCCrashTestDummy
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:29 PM
Finding Creative Ways To Crash
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo5 View Post
9" props Pat? I'm running 8x4 GWS (style) props on my tricopter with 2830/1300kv motors, so I would have guessed that 8" would still be pushing things on these higher kv motors. Maybe I can talk Chris into letting me pay extra for a pair of each size?

Looking forward to this.

cheers,
Andrew
Hi Andrew,

Sorry I missed this Q. Yes, I'm running 9" props, but they're gemfan nylon props. I donít know if your "GWS style" props are more aggressive than the ones I'm running so it may make a difference. I was using HK 20amp ESC's without any problems. The motors were cool to the touch and the ESC's were what I would call warm, not hot by any means. Thatís running 3x 3,000mah 40C batt's back to back honking on the throttle flying away from me a 100 yards, then cranking it back at me as fast as my brain could handle. Oh, and letís not forget the many 1 second full throttle bursts straight-up...Hehehehee!

I plowed this thing into the ground hard enough to fry one of my ESC's and then found-out HK was out of them. So, I just decided swap-out all of them and go with some ESC's I could find here in the U.S. that were recommended by Chris. (Hobbywing Skywalkers...They don't need to be flashed with SimonK firmware to work well) Now I have to say I went with the 40amp ones as extra insurance, but it may be a bit of overkill.

If you want to play it on the safe side, just go with the 1800's. I'm quite sure you'll have PLENTY of power, because mine is just nuts! Did I mention I have 10 and 11" prop's on the way??? hehehehee! I'll keep pushing until something gives because I've got spare motors and ESC's now. If something does crap-out I'll let you guys know.

-Pat
RCCrashTestDummy is offline Find More Posts by RCCrashTestDummy
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:29 PM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
You guys can also get Hobby Wing Skywalker ESC's at Valuehobby.com. They ship fast and the prices are reasonable and shipping is extra low. They have the 20 amp Skywalker esc's for $9.99 each.

Just thought I'd let you guys know about VH, I have done a lot of biz with them and never had a problem.

Merry Christmas to everyone!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:45 PM
United States, NJ, Fairfield
Joined Jan 2012
91 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Has anyone tried the "Glacier" Lipos from epbuddy.com, I am wanting to get a couple more batteries but i am not entirely happy with the 2600 mah zippy batteries i bought from Hobby King.
mactek is online now Find More Posts by mactek
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:02 PM
Carlsbad, New Mexico
Joined Feb 2004
158 Posts
Trader Rating: 15
I run the 2200 35c's from glacier. So far (about 30 cycles) I like them very much. They hold their power very well all the way to the end. They have low internal IR as measured on my powerlab 8. When they come back in stock (at the end of this month) I will pick up a few more.

My 355 quad runs great with these, and I don't start hearing the low voltage cutoff until about 3/4 of my way through the flight and then I only here it on very hard punch outs or very heavy throttle use.

My favorite pack so far...
noahb is offline Find More Posts by noahb
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:24 PM
AMA# 980507
United States, FL, Loxahatchee
Joined Feb 2011
319 Posts
Trader Rating: 39
Quote:
You guys can also get Hobby Wing Skywalker ESC's at Valuehobby.com. They ship fast and the prices are reasonable and shipping is extra low. They have the 20 amp Skywalker esc's for $9.99 each.

Just thought I'd let you guys know about VH, I have done a lot of biz with them and never had a problem.

Merry Christmas to everyone!
Value Hobby is ok in my book. I get parts and batteries from them and they always ship pretty fast. I was thinking about getting this esc to clean things up some on the 355:

http://www.valuehobby.com/hwg-skywal...attro-20a.html

Once esc to run them all...
Th3UmBrA is offline Find More Posts by Th3UmBrA
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:41 PM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Quote:
Value Hobby is ok in my book. I get parts and batteries from them and they always ship pretty fast. I was thinking about getting this esc to clean things up some on the 355:

http://www.valuehobby.com/hwg-skywal...attro-20a.html

Once esc to run them all...
I have used the Quattro on probably about 10 of my quads. I like them a lot. They can be flashed also, but not with SimonK, I think it's called BL firmware or something like that. I have a quattro I have taken apart and I have the flash tool for it, so I
going to try and flash one of these. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Here is a thread that Chris started on the Quattro a few months back.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1711602
Last edited by Bryan's Flyin; Dec 18, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined Apr 2012
69 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
You mean the tubular arms? Sure. That's easy. Price on arms not painted is 4$ each but if you want no holes, I'll do 3.50$ And I charge 5$ for shipping just parts. So total would be 33$ shipped.

Confirm your order and I'll have it done ASAP for you.

Best,
Chris
Thanks for responding so quickly. I'm going to hold off a bit while I restrain my spending & consider my options.

I had the urge/impulse to order them them for my wire-tucked scratchbuilt because its hollow obround aluminum extrusions (200mm long) were a little heavier than expected @ 38g/arm ( 1.9g/cm [4.75g/inch] ).

Quote:
I have used the Quattro on probably about 10 of my quads. I like them a lot. They can be flashed also, but not with SimonK, I think it's called BL firmware or something like that. I have a quattro I have taken apart and I have the flash tool for it, so I going to try and flash one of these. I'll let you guys know what happens.
I'm not sure if you're aware of drug123's posts in the blheli thread suggesting these escs are somehow locked and not flashable without replacing the silab chips... please report back if you have success flashing the quattro.

Hopefully I'll have some time over the holidays where I can try flashing my partially damaged quattro esc. I burned out 2 of 4 escs thrust testing high-kv motors but all four still respond to the 'programming' and calibration sequences... should at least make for a good guinea pig.
ymboc is offline Find More Posts by ymboc
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:35 PM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCrashTestDummy View Post
Hi Andrew,

Sorry I missed this Q. Yes, I'm running 9" props, but they're gemfan nylon props. I donít know if your "GWS style" props are more aggressive than the ones I'm running so it may make a difference. I was using HK 20amp ESC's without any problems. The motors were cool to the touch and the ESC's were what I would call warm, not hot by any means. Thatís running 3x 3,000mah 40C batt's back to back honking on the throttle flying away from me a 100 yards, then cranking it back at me as fast as my brain could handle. Oh, and letís not forget the many 1 second full throttle bursts straight-up...Hehehehee!

I plowed this thing into the ground hard enough to fry one of my ESC's and then found-out HK was out of them. So, I just decided swap-out all of them and go with some ESC's I could find here in the U.S. that were recommended by Chris. (Hobbywing Skywalkers...They don't need to be flashed with SimonK firmware to work well) Now I have to say I went with the 40amp ones as extra insurance, but it may be a bit of overkill.

If you want to play it on the safe side, just go with the 1800's. I'm quite sure you'll have PLENTY of power, because mine is just nuts! Did I mention I have 10 and 11" prop's on the way??? hehehehee! I'll keep pushing until something gives because I've got spare motors and ESC's now. If something does crap-out I'll let you guys know.

-Pat
Hey Pat,
thanks for the reply. Well I'm going with the 2826/2200's so we'll see how that all works out in the fullness of shipping and my assembly. I'll try to 8" and 9" props. I'll need to get a pile of props somewhere too, as I'm sure I'll break a bunch. Where do you get yours?

I was toying with the idea of heat shrinking the ESC heat sink right to the aluminum arm, not sure if it's at all practical in reality.

I've also got to source some higher C rated batteries too. Maybe have some of these (http://www.valuehobby.com/gforce-40c...1-1v-lipo.html) shipped to my buddy in upstate NY and go and pick them up. Not sure if there are any good Canadian suppliers (I haven't found one yet) and stuff from China these days seems to be taking an age.

Well, that's it for tonight. Got hit with the flu today, so I've gotta see if I can sleep. At least I'll have the promise of a cool quad to think about.

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Closed Thread