HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by bobepine, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:29 PM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Trader Rating: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin83 View Post
I think it looks great Bryan, and should be great for keeping the blades out of the way of the camera. Nice improvement for those interested in taking pictures and video with their Armattan.

I for one, am thankful that I found this forum full of great people who share a common interest in a hobby that I love. What I think is cool is that if everyone has a neat and practical idea such as this one, constant improvements can be made over time that end up benefiting all of us.

While I understand that Chris is mainly interested in acrobatic quads and not so much in aerial photography or fpv, its awesome that he seems willing to create new designs to cater to others interests. So we all end up benefiting by having a quad for each flying style.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeisteriii View Post
Thats is a great design and I think you will find that it will actually fly better than regular designs in windy conditions. It will have a unusually low center of gravity in relation to motors and I believe that will make it more stable in windy conditions.
I agree with Justin83 we all are very lucky to have a man like Chris doing what he is for the hobby and all of us. He is a dream come thru maker with serious talent.
I have to keep working part time now (retired) to be able to pay for all your ideas and his success in making them. I got one ordered and am now having difficulty in deciding which Armattan will be my next quad. I'm loving this forum and its members.
Carl
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
Where do you intend to mount the GoPro?

On top of the Armattan logo cover?

Also wondering if Chris might move to lower kv motors to maximize flight time over the existing quads.

Chris is great; I was hoping for a workable mount configuration for a sub 250 gram cam. Would also like to see a 1/4-inch mount hole for those that want to shoot with non GoPro light cams as well.
First off, thank you all for the kind words. I too feel lucky to have found Chris on YT and on RCG. He has really inspired me also and I like the way he keeps a clean thread.

@Justin83 - Thank you. I put my GP on my Armattan 404 and made the video on YT. I liked the vid okay, but I hate the props in the way. That was kind of my inspiration to modify the arms.

@cmeisteriii - I totally agree with the center of gravity Idea and high wind situations. That was actually in my head when I was drawing up the arms. We may need to raise them a little more. I'll see when I get it flying.

@daskim - Yep, right on top or you can also zip tie a GoPro between the arms. Another thing I learned was to not shoot video using the wide angle feature on the Hero2. That really helps with keeping the props out of the shot.
You could also mount the cam on the underside of the quad and move your battery to the top position.

Thanks again guys........and Chris
Bryan's Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Bryan's Flyin
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:38 PM
United States, NV, Carson City
Joined Jun 2012
147 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
I can't wait so see a video of it flying on a windy day this could be a serious all weather any day --thats not to wet-- flyer. It might be a "Wind FPV Quad" .
cmeisteriii is offline Find More Posts by cmeisteriii
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:51 PM
United States, FL, Bradenton
Joined Jan 2012
306 Posts
Trader Rating: 36
That's a sweet new design.
To get the props farther out of view maybe you could have the Gopro mounted way out front (towards the props) on a cross bar that connects between the 2 front arms and then to counterbalance the weight do the same in the back of the quad by offsetting the battery rearward a little? With the camera closer to the props it would take alot less downward camera angle to get them out of view and for flying FPV would let you aim straighter in front sorta like how the H-quads do so it would be like a hybrid X/H frame.
overmyhead is online now Find More Posts by overmyhead
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,667 Posts
Trader Rating: 164
You're on the list, Sir. Review your order and let me know if I missed something.

Thank you.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo5 View Post
OK Chris,
let's do it then: Chris please can we go ahead with this order.

Today I confirmed I do actually have 4 F20's so I'm good there. Looks like 2 votes for the 2826/2200kv so who am I to argue.

9" props Pat? I'm running 8x4 GWS (style) props on my tricopter with 2830/1300kv motors, so I would have guessed that 8" would still be pushing things on these higher kv motors. Maybe I can talk Chris into letting me pay extra for a pair of each size?

Looking forward to this.

cheers,
Andrew
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:56 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,667 Posts
Your order is listed. PM me what you want for spares and I'll send you a quote. Arms are expensive. 12$ each.

Thank you,
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin83 View Post
Hey Chris,

I haven't even received my quad in the mail yet and I've already sold another quad for you. I've been showing my friends and family the videos of your creations on your Youtube channel. This is a great tool and you should definitely keep the videos coming, btw.

I would like to place an order for a CNC 355 RXR with spare parts for a Christmas present for a friend. I realize you are already booked up this weekend and it may be a while before you can start on this order and that is okay. It is going to be a belated gift anyway.

If you decide to take this order, send me your PayPal info again and I'll go ahead and pre-pay immediately. Thanks again for keeping this hobby exciting with your constantly improving designs and hard work. Keep it up!

Thanks,
Justin
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:22 PM
Joined Apr 2012
69 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
I would like to order 8 unpainted arms, 200mm length, no holes. Shipped to Ontario, Canada.

Is that possible? Thanks
ymboc is offline Find More Posts by ymboc
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:18 PM
AMA# 980507
United States, FL, Loxahatchee
Joined Feb 2011
319 Posts
Trader Rating: 39
Got my DIY 355 CNC kit together tonight. What a pleasure it was assembling it. Went together pretty easy. I did shorten the ESC to motor cables though to clean it up. Hovered it in my living room and it hovers nicely. Going to give it a test run tomorrow morning before I have to go to work. Here she is sitting on my workbench:
Th3UmBrA is offline Find More Posts by Th3UmBrA
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:31 PM
Master of Disaster!
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Dec 2012
302 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3UmBrA View Post
Got my DIY 355 CNC kit together tonight. What a pleasure it was assembling it. Went together pretty easy. I did shorten the ESC to motor cables though to clean it up. Hovered it in my living room and it hovers nicely. Going to give it a test run tomorrow morning before I have to go to work. Here she is sitting on my workbench:
Looks great man. Let's see a video of it flying!
Justin83 is offline Find More Posts by Justin83
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:36 PM
United States, TX, Spur
Joined Sep 2011
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan's Flyin View Post
Armattan "-BF510- Squid" edition.
So what do you think?
TOO COOL! Bryan, I think I like it a lot.

Who will have the Frame for sale? You or Chris?

Thurmond
T3PRanch is offline Find More Posts by T3PRanch
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymboc View Post
I would like to order 8 unpainted arms, 200mm length, no holes. Shipped to Ontario, Canada.

Is that possible? Thanks

You mean the tubular arms? Sure. That's easy. Price on arms not painted is 4$ each but if you want no holes, I'll do 3.50$ And I charge 5$ for shipping just parts. So total would be 33$ shipped.

Confirm your order and I'll have it done ASAP for you.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Jun 2012
147 Posts
Hi Chris
I have an iPhone and want to know what kind of device you use to keep it on the quad as its flying. I think your wearing something on your head but am at a loss as to what it is your using. I would like very much to know what it is and if possible where I can get one for me so I can film my flying.
Thanks
Carl
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:20 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeisteriii View Post
Hi Chris
I have an iPhone and want to know what kind of device you use to keep it on the quad as its flying. I think your wearing something on your head but am at a loss as to what it is your using. I would like very much to know what it is and if possible where I can get one for me so I can film my flying.
Thanks
Carl
I have a iPhone 4 hard case mounted on a GoPro headband. Works great!

Best,
Chris

Site Sponsor
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:25 AM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
You're on the list, Sir. Review your order and let me know if I missed something.

Thank you.

Chris
Chris,
looks as we discussed ... BUT ... just had a thought ... are the F20 ESC's man enough for the 2826 motors? I seem to recall you went with 30A ones with the 2826. If not, or close to the edge, then lets go with the 2822/1800kv motors. Let me know what you suggest.

I also sent an email with my address, etc. Is there anything else you need from me at this point?

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:26 AM
Joined Jun 2012
147 Posts
Hi
I'm going to get one asap its a great idea . Thanks for the pictures.
Carl
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:52 AM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Trader Rating: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3PRanch View Post
TOO COOL! Bryan, I think I like it a lot.

Who will have the Frame for sale? You or Chris?

Thurmond
Hey Thanks Thurmond! I just had an idea and asked Chris and he had these done for me. Chris is the man to get this stuff from.

I also want to add that these are more expensive than the regular straight CNC arms. The labor on these is much higher because they heat the metal first to bend it, then cut it out. I get all my frames from Chris and buy my electronics from mostly the same places as he does. 50% of the fun for me is building them.

I think Chris mailed my order yesterday and it normally takes 7 days for it to get here in central Missouri. I am hoping to get it Monday the 24th. If so, I will post pictures on Christmas day of the Squid completely built.
Bryan's Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Bryan's Flyin
Closed Thread