SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by bobepine, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:23 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,674 Posts
Trader Rating: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo5 View Post
These are great pictures, they show the scale of the quad better than earlier ones. It's smaller than I'd kinda got set in my mind, which is a good thing I think. Are the arms 1/8" thick aluminum? Which motors are one yours? I'll be very interested to hear about your flight experiences.

cheers,
Andrew
Arms are 4mm thick 6051 aircraft grade alumi. 1/8" ??? Geez... That would be freeking thin. Even stainless steel would be too thin at 1/8".

Regarding your earlier comments about ecalc, I wanted to add something. You know, I sold nearly 100 quads so far and there has been zero reposrts of failing electronics and some of the guys running these specs fly darn aggressively, such as Jim Frahm and Shafter, for example. No one is having issues. We're looking at 100% positive experience on nearly 100 quads. So that kind of throws ecalc out the window, if you ask me.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:23 AM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,740 Posts
Trader Rating: 23
Chris:

How many quads would you guess you have sold over the course of the three or so threads?
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
Chris:

How many quads would you guess you have sold over the course of the three or so threads?
Close to about 100. Maybe more. I did not keep track. The threads account for about 80% of the orders. I have many repeat orders from guys who dealt with me via PM or emails as well. I'm including frames in this so RXR quads, hmmm... Maybe around 70.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:36 PM
United States, CT
Joined Mar 2011
422 Posts
Trader Rating: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan's Flyin View Post
Looking good adrenahelin. Are you going to get her done today?
thanks Bryan, will try, not familiar with kk board yet so need to look at the videos, it's raining here so no blast off today, will enjoy some more building though. have you flown your giant quad outside yet?

Quote:
These are great pictures, they show the scale of the quad better than earlier ones. It's smaller than I'd kinda got set in my mind, which is a good thing I think. Are the arms 1/8" thick aluminum? Which motors are one yours? I'll be very interested to hear about your flight experiences.

cheers,
Andrew
thanks, this one has 2822 2600kv motors. the aluminum is nice and light, i lightly sanded it with some 400 grit automotive sandpaper along the grain to sort of polish it. with my piloting skills i'll be trying to not totally destroy it.
adrenahelin is offline Find More Posts by adrenahelin
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:24 PM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Arms are 4mm thick 6051 aircraft grade alumi. 1/8" ??? Geez... That would be freeking thin. Even stainless steel would be too thin at 1/8".

Regarding your earlier comments about ecalc, I wanted to add something. You know, I sold nearly 100 quads so far and there has been zero reposrts of failing electronics and some of the guys running these specs fly darn aggressively, such as Jim Frahm and Shafter, for example. No one is having issues. We're looking at 100% positive experience on nearly 100 quads. So that kind of throws ecalc out the window, if you ask me.

Best,
Chris
With respect to ecalc, I was reminded of the saying "those who say that something can't be done should get out of the way of those who are doing it!" There is also a lot more to the design than just the hover and maximum points regardless. For a multicopter, especially an aerobatic one, I suspect that dynamic response is much more significant as long as the overall stays within reasonable bounds for reasonable lengths of time. It certainly sounds like it would be interesting to see the output of one of those dynamic power meters that logs the current of a whole flight. That would be far more significant data.

My main reason for asking was to get a feel for the real world experience, and to see if I was just missing something. It's surprising at the difference, but hey you can't argue with the results.

On the aluminum, thanks for the info. Seeing as how I couldn't sleep last night I was trying to do some rough comparisons between aluminum and wooden booms. 4mm would be over twice as stiff and strong as 3mm, so makes good sense. Is is 6051 or 6061? I would have expected 6061-T6 seeing as how it's such a standard.

On the quad order, it's too bad (for me) you consider the DIY RTR minus a few bits a "parts" order, but that's your choice & business. I'll decide what I'm going to do and let you know. It's just all the individual shippings that add up, both in money and delay ... and it seems that for whatever reason things are often worse for Canada. Freezing rain here today, so we are well and truly "socked in".

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,674 Posts
Hi Andrew,

You're right, it's 6061. I always confuse these numbers. Center plates are 1051, IIRC.

Look, I can do a DIY kit without FC and ESCs but you won't like the price. Bottom line is I can't compete with the big guys because I buy the parts from them, I pay shipping, and then I have to pay shipping again to send them to you. It would look like this:

DIY kit is 205$ + 5$ if you want CNC skids + 210$.
Minus:
-FC 29$
-4X ESCs 35$

= 146$

I wouldn't go lower than 140$ considering it will cost me 20$ to ship this to Canada.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:53 PM
Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins
Canada, ON, Kapuskasing
Joined Mar 2012
1,477 Posts
Trader Rating: 15
Quote:
Hi Andrew,

You're right, it's 6061. I always confuse these numbers. Center plates are 1051, IIRC.

Look, I can do a DIY kit without FC and ESCs but you won't like the price. Bottom line is I can't compete with the big guys because I buy the parts from them, I pay shipping, and then I have to pay shipping again to send them to you. It would look like this:

Minus:
-FC 29$
-4X ESCs 35$

= 146$

I wouldn't go lower than 140$ considering it will cost me 20$ to ship this to Canada.

Best,
Chris
Have you thought about maybe going the 6061 route with the center plates aswell? Would be much more strong I'd think, no?
Creepy1 is offline Find More Posts by Creepy1
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:17 PM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Trader Rating: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenahelin View Post
thanks Bryan, will try, not familiar with kk board yet so need to look at the videos, it's raining here so no blast off today, will enjoy some more building though. have you flown your giant quad outside yet?
Yes I did. The wind has been blowing like crazy around here lately. It stopped gusting as hard so I decided to get in a quick flight. Nothing fancy or exciting, but very fun for me. It's so quiet. Kinda hard to hear it with the wind noise and wind chimes. My apologizes in advance.
I was using the auto-level in this video. I turned the settings down on the auto-level gains and now it's super smooth. Thank you Chris!

Best when watched in HD!

M750 Outdoor Maiden (4 min 33 sec)
Bryan's Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Bryan's Flyin
Last edited by Bryan's Flyin; Dec 16, 2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:55 AM
United States, CT
Joined Mar 2011
422 Posts
Trader Rating: 21
nice build there Bryan, looks like she's got some get up and go!
adrenahelin is offline Find More Posts by adrenahelin
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:38 AM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Trader Rating: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenahelin View Post
nice build there Bryan, looks like she's got some get up and go!
She does. I never got over 1/2 throttle in the video. If I did it would have shot out of site. Only weighs a little over a pound and those motors have 1000 grams of thrust each.1000 grams = 8.13 lbs of thrust. Yee haw!
Bryan's Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Bryan's Flyin
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:24 AM
AMA# 980507
United States, FL, Loxahatchee
Joined Feb 2011
319 Posts
Trader Rating: 39
Picked up my kit from the post office today. It was sitting there all weekend driving me nuts lol.

Chris, I left positive feedback for you here...thanks again! Looking forward to flying this beast.
Th3UmBrA is offline Find More Posts by Th3UmBrA
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:58 AM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,475 Posts
Bryan is Flyin!

That thing is sweet Bryan. I'm still waiting anxiously for that video where we can see it cruising across a field, delivering pizza or lifting supplies to the ISS. It's snowed about 25cm here in the last 2 days so my M370 is grounded. I'll have to stick to the F45 in this weather.
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:11 AM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Quote:
Hi Andrew,

Minus:
-FC 29$
-4X ESCs 35$

= 146$

Best,
Chris
Chris,
thanks for the reply.

Just so I'm clear (and not putting words in your mouth) you can do me a CNC355 DIY kit with everything, including CNC landing skids, *except* the KK2 and ESC's for $140 shipped? Sounds more than fair to me.

What motors would that be? If there's any choice (and if not, that's fine), I'd trade off the n-th degree in performance for more flight time, and robustness is important (I have a lot of "unplanned landings" ... mainly because I'm not patient enough to work up/into things slowly ). You've got the experience here, so let me know which.

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
That thing is sweet Bryan. I'm still waiting anxiously for that video where we can see it cruising across a field, delivering pizza or lifting supplies to the ISS. It's snowed about 25cm here in the last 2 days so my M370 is grounded. I'll have to stick to the F45 in this weather.
LOL... Bryan did an awesome job on that build, indeed. I'm surprised at how stable it is. No oscillation at all. Very well tuned. And yes, I'm sure that thing would be crazy fast given the weight vs thrust ration he has going. Very, VERY well done.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,674 Posts
Quote:
Chris,
thanks for the reply.

Just so I'm clear (and not putting words in your mouth) you can do me a CNC355 DIY kit with everything, including CNC landing skids, *except* the KK2 and ESC's for $140 shipped? Sounds more than fair to me.

What motors would that be? If there's any choice (and if not, that's fine), I'd trade off the n-th degree in performance for more flight time, and robustness is important (I have a lot of "unplanned landings" ... mainly because I'm not patient enough to work up/into things slowly ). You've got the experience here, so let me know which.

cheers,
Andrew
Hi Andrew,

Regarding motors, I have 2826/2200KV and 2822/1800KV on hand. If it were me, I would go with the 2826s because I like more oumff even if it means shorter flight time. That said, flight time isn't all that far apart.

The kit includes everything you need to build this, literally. Down to solder, 3.5mm connectors for the ESCs, all the required heatshrink, battery plug, distribution board, battery strap, etc. If you have a FC and ESCs, then all you would require to go fly is a receiver, battery and radio. It's one stop shopping. You simply do not need to get anything else to get the quad built. I include a checklist that shows you everything that is included. Only two items would not be checked oon your kit, ad that would be the FC and ESC. All thestandoffs needed to mount the FC are also included, of course.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Closed Thread