HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by bobepine, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,666 Posts
Trader Rating: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
Ok Armattan Gurus. My 3cm RX/KK2 connectors arrived with my batteries today. Yay!

I'm going through Chris's setup video and setting things up. Some questions.

1. I've hooked up the rx1002 to the KK2 by following the directions in the KK2 Manual.
I notice that the RX has a spot for 4.8v power source however from what I can see it seems to be getting power directly from the servo connections. Is this the normal way to run this? I'm guessing the esc's are all supplying voltage to the KK2 board through their connectons?

2. I see the AUX input on the KK2 is supposed to connect to "GEAR" to setup auto-leveling on the gear switch. That seems to do the switch to self-level according to the safe screen. I thought I saw it switching into self-level at high throttle before I connected Gear to the KK2 Aux - is that normal?

3. Are my ailerons mixed up? When I throw the aileron stick left I get RIGHT on the KK2 receiver test. When I through the aileron stick right I get LEFT on the KK2 receiver test. I have the quad strapped down and when I put on a little throttle and throw the aileron stick left it looks like it's going to bank right. Do I adjust this in the TX or KK2?

4. Double checking on the throttle curve. I have 0 at L and 100 at H and the 1-4 are set to inhibit. I have confirmed all stunt 1 and stunt 2 have the same settings. Chris mentions that he uses a steeper throttle curve - would it make sense to switch Stunt 1 and/or 2 to steeper throttle curves as well? Any suggestions on what they should be?

5. Throttle Hold - Got it. Confirmed that throttle hold sticks to off on Stunt 1 and Stunt 2. That'll be handy.

6. On the TX there's a section for "Fail Safe". Does anyone have a suggestion for this?

It's hilarious to compare the silky smooth sound of the blades spinning up on this against the sound of a V929 or V939. I can't wait to get this baby airborne!

In the meantime, here's a video of what flying is like up here today. It's not a quad - just a FP F45 that I like to fly (brushless main motor upgrade w/3s).
http://youtu.be/J3ibw6TeNGg
Hi,

I forgot to answer your questions. I will write to you tomorrow.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:32 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,471 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
No Worries Chris.

I've reversed ailerons and elevators in the TX. I hooked up a 25c 2200mah and was able to do a hover test in my basement. I have a new 35/75C nanotech charging up now - I had to create an adapter for the bullet connectors. I didn't want to mod the battery connectors yet. Weather here is not looking suitable for the maiden flight for at least the next week.

Anyway if you have any thoughts on the remaining questions at some point, thanks. no rush anyway! In the meantime I'm thinking of trying out this fixed ID stuff between the RX/TX. Sounds more secure.
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:45 PM
Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins
Canada, ON, Kapuskasing
Joined Mar 2012
1,459 Posts
Trader Rating: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
No Worries Chris.

I've reversed ailerons and elevators in the TX. I hooked up a 25c 2200mah and was able to do a hover test in my basement. I have a new 35/75C nanotech charging up now - I had to create an adapter for the bullet connectors. I didn't want to mod the battery connectors yet. Weather here is not looking suitable for the maiden flight for at least the next week.

Anyway if you have any thoughts on the remaining questions at some point, thanks. no rush anyway! In the meantime I'm thinking of trying out this fixed ID stuff between the RX/TX. Sounds more secure.
I use the fixed id, and have zero problems with it at all.
Creepy1 is offline Find More Posts by Creepy1
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:09 PM
United States, TX, Spur
Joined Sep 2011
317 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Very clean looking build, Thurmond. You did awesome with the DIY kit.

Best,
Chris
Thanks Chris.

If I could only fly as well as I build I would be a very happy man.

I still have a few little things I may do such as shortening the ESC to motor wiring and protecting it from sharp frame edges. Other than that I just copied what I have seen others do.

One thing I might suggest for the top "Armattan" plastic Plate is that you put the "Armattan" logo on the bottom side of the plastic (would necessitate doing it in reverse of course). This would protect it from abrasive harm.

Thurmond
T3PRanch is offline Find More Posts by T3PRanch
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:19 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Quote:
Hi Duck,

To answer your question, yes, the CNC frame if A LOT stronger than the M frame. It's also a tad heavier. The arms can bend ina bad crash. I have managed to bend one so far and it was a brutal crash on solid ground. I used a hammer and straightened the arm back to shape. I had to reef on the arms with the hammer for it to regain its shape. It really did not feel like hitting alumi. Felt like hammering steel. The metal did not deform under severe hammering like common alumi would. It did not budge. The hammer did not even leave marks on the anodized surface. Not kidding. If you hit common alumi hard with a hammer, the hammer will sink into the alumi leaving huge marks. Not this alumi. It's incredibly strong, but yes, a sever crash can bend an arm but you won't need to replace it. You can straighten it out and go back flying.

Anyways... I have ordered only 12 arms to build 255mm frames. So I'll be building 3 more of them. I'll have the parts on Saturday so I can have a frame in the mail for you next Tuesday. You'll need good motors and good batteries for this...

Best,
Chris
Right now I'm a bit low on cash, but by then I should have enough for one of these. Some people owe me money, so... Anyhow, is the price going to be the same as the larger version? Either way, I'll take one of these and simply copy your setup. Where do you get your batteries? I can't find anything over 45C in the 2200mah range, at least not over at MyRcMart and Hobbyking. Then again, the 2200mah Nanotech A-Spec is 45C and has a 90C burst, costs only 30 bucks so that could be worth shooting for. That, and the RCX motors you use.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:00 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,740 Posts
Trader Rating: 23
Have not yet figured out how to get the gear switch on my DX6i to switch to between rate and auto leveling on the K2 board.

Anyone else have a 6i that can help?
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3PRanch View Post
Thanks Chris.

If I could only fly as well as I build I would be a very happy man.

I still have a few little things I may do such as shortening the ESC to motor wiring and protecting it from sharp frame edges. Other than that I just copied what I have seen others do.

One thing I might suggest for the top "Armattan" plastic Plate is that you put the "Armattan" logo on the bottom side of the plastic (would necessitate doing it in reverse of course). This would protect it from abrasive harm.

Thurmond
Interesting suggestion about the reversed sticker. Geez... That's actually brilliant.

Thanks!

Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
Right now I'm a bit low on cash, but by then I should have enough for one of these. Some people owe me money, so... Anyhow, is the price going to be the same as the larger version? Either way, I'll take one of these and simply copy your setup. Where do you get your batteries? I can't find anything over 45C in the 2200mah range, at least not over at MyRcMart and Hobbyking. Then again, the 2200mah Nanotech A-Spec is 45C and has a 90C burst, costs only 30 bucks so that could be worth shooting for. That, and the RCX motors you use.
Hi,

The price is the same because my cost is the same. I did not bother negotiating a lower price with the factory because I did not order enough of these short arms. I'm just happy that they are willing to program their monster laser cutter just to make a dozen arms for me. The ones I ordered yesterday will be 2mm longer just to have a tad more space between the 7 inch propellers. The arms on mine are 120mm, the new ones will be 122mm.

I buy my batteries on Taiwan Ebay. I use 2200, Angel Power, 3s, 40c. You might be able to find them on Ebay.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:59 PM
North Central Positronics
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,323 Posts
Trader Rating: 370
Armattan 230 Quad!

Like this thread needs any more encouragement!! I have two of the little HK micro quads, and one of them I had simply beat to death flying it inside and outside, running into the walls in my workshop, etc. I saw the ad for the 230 frame and figured at that price, why not get one, swap everything and see if it flies. Well, it does and it does brilliantly! I actually cut the arms off the hk micro and just screwed the power plate on the bottom of the new quad. The motors attached with three of the four screws fitting perfectly. Awesome!

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
badbill is online now Find More Posts by badbill
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:20 PM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Trader Rating: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbill View Post
Like this thread needs any more encouragement!! I have two of the little HK micro quads, and one of them I had simply beat to death flying it inside and outside, running into the walls in my workshop, etc. I saw the ad for the 230 frame and figured at that price, why not get one, swap everything and see if it flies. Well, it does and it does brilliantly! I actually cut the arms off the hk micro and just screwed the power plate on the bottom of the new quad. The motors attached with three of the four screws fitting perfectly. Awesome!

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

Looks great Bill. Very clean build. Thanks for showing us.
Bryan's Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Bryan's Flyin
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:00 PM
Finding Creative Ways To Crash
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
Quote:
1- two spare arms, metallic (please send me the length in mm)

2- 8 CNC landing skids

3- long and short nylons standoffs for mounting the FC with nylon screws ( 2 sets of each?)

I should have that in the mail next Tuesday.

Best,
Chris
Yep, you got it right on the money Chris. The arms are about 327mm in length. I don't have the means to measure in mm's (Not that long anyhow, but that should be pretty darn close) It's whatever # you came-up with to get the overall lenghth to 700mm.

Just let me know the cost of the stand-offs, landing skids, shipping, and one centerfold and we are good to go.... I'll double check page one to make sure we got it right and send payment A.S.A.P.

Thanks again,

-Pat
RCCrashTestDummy is offline Find More Posts by RCCrashTestDummy
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:13 PM
Finding Creative Ways To Crash
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
@Thurmond,

Thanks for sharing it looks great. I always like seeing everyone’s different approach and inventions/idea's. it's one of the coolest things about this forum.

-Pat
RCCrashTestDummy is offline Find More Posts by RCCrashTestDummy
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:32 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,666 Posts
Sorry, Pat, the centerfolds have all been spoken for. Creepy 1 already paid for all of them. This is strictly confidential, though, so I never told you that.

Regarding the arms length, I don't have the numbers so please confirm the length as I do not want to be responsible for shipping the wrong size.

Best,
Chris

Ps: Well done, Mr. Badbill. Looks great!
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:21 PM
Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins
Canada, ON, Kapuskasing
Joined Mar 2012
1,459 Posts
Trader Rating: 14
Quote:
Sorry, Pat, the centerfolds have all been spoken for. Creepy 1 already paid for all of them. This is strictly confidential, though, so I never told you that.

Regarding the arms length, I don't have the numbers so please confirm the length as I do not want to be responsible for shipping the wrong size.

Best,
Chris

Ps: Well done, Mr. Badbill. Looks great!
Er... ummm.... ahem. It's for a friend. Yup.
Creepy1 is offline Find More Posts by Creepy1
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:46 AM
United States, TX, Spur
Joined Sep 2011
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbill View Post

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
Now you have done it Bill. I need a 230 frame to replace my wooden copy of the HK micro's which measures out at 237mm.

Chris, how much for the frame parts Bill has sans the center plates ? I don't need the arms drilled for motors either.

And thanks Chris and Pat for the kind words.

Thurmond
T3PRanch is offline Find More Posts by T3PRanch
Last edited by T3PRanch; Dec 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
Closed Thread