HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by bobepine, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:13 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,519 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Ok Armattan Gurus. My 3cm RX/KK2 connectors arrived with my batteries today. Yay!

I'm going through Chris's setup video and setting things up. Some questions.

1. I've hooked up the rx1002 to the KK2 by following the directions in the KK2 Manual.
I notice that the RX has a spot for 4.8v power source however from what I can see it seems to be getting power directly from the servo connections. Is this the normal way to run this? I'm guessing the esc's are all supplying voltage to the KK2 board through their connectons?

2. I see the AUX input on the KK2 is supposed to connect to "GEAR" to setup auto-leveling on the gear switch. That seems to do the switch to self-level according to the safe screen. I thought I saw it switching into self-level at high throttle before I connected Gear to the KK2 Aux - is that normal?

3. Are my ailerons mixed up? When I throw the aileron stick left I get RIGHT on the KK2 receiver test. When I through the aileron stick right I get LEFT on the KK2 receiver test. I have the quad strapped down and when I put on a little throttle and throw the aileron stick left it looks like it's going to bank right. Do I adjust this in the TX or KK2?

4. Double checking on the throttle curve. I have 0 at L and 100 at H and the 1-4 are set to inhibit. I have confirmed all stunt 1 and stunt 2 have the same settings. Chris mentions that he uses a steeper throttle curve - would it make sense to switch Stunt 1 and/or 2 to steeper throttle curves as well? Any suggestions on what they should be?

5. Throttle Hold - Got it. Confirmed that throttle hold sticks to off on Stunt 1 and Stunt 2. That'll be handy.

6. On the TX there's a section for "Fail Safe". Does anyone have a suggestion for this?

It's hilarious to compare the silky smooth sound of the blades spinning up on this against the sound of a V929 or V939. I can't wait to get this baby airborne!

In the meantime, here's a video of what flying is like up here today. It's not a quad - just a FP F45 that I like to fly (brushless main motor upgrade w/3s).
Snow Day - F45 (4 min 8 sec)
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:57 PM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Trader Rating: 34
Here ya go fellas! Introducing the ARMATTAN M750. Except for some cosmetic add-ons, he is ready for his first flight. I spooled him up and you WILL NOT believe how smooth and quiet this bad boy is. Tons of power with the iPOWER 2217Q 880kv with 13 inch monster blades! I am using a KK 2.0 w/LCD w/ firmware version 1.4, 30 amp SimonK esc's, Orange Rx 6 channel, HK power dist. board.

I hung my CNC 355 beside the M750 for size comparison......HUGE!

I am going to add some color to it tomorrow after the first flight. Here are some pics.

What can I name this bad boy? Ideas?
Bryan's Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Bryan's Flyin
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:41 PM
Finding Creative Ways To Crash
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan's Flyin View Post
Here ya go fellas! Introducing the ARMATTAN M750. Except for some cosmetic add-ons, he is ready for his first flight. I spooled him up and you WILL NOT believe how smooth and quiet this bad boy is. Tons of power with the iPOWER 2217Q 880kv with 13 inch monster blades! I am using a KK 2.0 w/LCD w/ firmware version 1.4, 30 amp SimonK esc's, Orange Rx 6 channel, HK power dist. board.

I am going to add some color to it tomorrow after the first flight. Here are some pics.

Bryan.......One word........AWESOME!!!

13" props = more awesome!

@rexless Another very cool vid, if I knew more about setting these up I would chime in, but Chris really had mine all dialed-in including the Rx. LOL all I did was make to page 30 something in the manual, brain caught on fire, then I just watched Chris's set-up vid about 3 times in a row.....Viola! It flew. I'll have to let someone with some more savvy than I chime-in and help us both figure this out.

Good luck,

-Pat
RCCrashTestDummy is offline Find More Posts by RCCrashTestDummy
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:16 AM
Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins
Canada, ON, Kapuskasing
Joined Mar 2012
1,682 Posts
Trader Rating: 20
Rexless go ahead, and pm me any questions about the devo7 you may have. I've had a very easy time setting up everything.
Creepy1 is offline Find More Posts by Creepy1
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:18 AM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,519 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan's Flyin View Post

Oh man that is cool. I love the big props. I can't wait to see the video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCrashTestDummy View Post
Bryan.......One word........AWESOME!!! 13" props = more awesome!

@rexless Another very cool vid, if I knew more about setting these up I would chime in, but Chris really had mine all dialed-in including the Rx. LOL all I did was make to page 30 something in the manual, brain caught on fire, then I just watched Chris's set-up vid about 3 times in a row.....Viola! It flew. I'll have to let someone with some more savvy than I chime-in and help us both figure this out.
Good luck, -Pat
Thanks Pat. I think it's pretty much dialled in for me too.I think this is mostly just me being a n00b - never having had a hobby grade tx/rx setup or a programmable system like this before so I'm learning it as I go.
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:08 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Hi,
Sorry, I forgot to reply last night! Off to work now. I will write to you (and others) shortly.

Best,
Chris
Yay!
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,840 Posts
Trader Rating: 170
I'm back! Was stuck at work all day and had to send shipped notices to 9 people. Just about to address your posts guys. But first, have a look at this beast.

Armattan CNC 255 (9 min 48 sec)

hehehe...

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:57 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasor View Post
Hi Chris,

Received my CNC 355 today and she's a real beauty! Left positive trader feedback for you.

Thanks again, Jerry

Thanks for the feedback, Sir. I reciprocated. And very glad this found a home well.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
Quickest shipment yet to the West Coast - 10 days. Beautiful CNC 355 build Chris.

Selling my Armattan M356 if anyone is interested:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1786753
Thank you for the kind words and glad this found you well, too.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCrashTestDummy View Post
Chris,

I got the 700mm arms in the mail today and all I can say is WOW! They're perfect. I've got to say that I reeeeeally like the raw metallic look....LOL I've got $20 worth of paint and tape, and I don't know if I can do it. Hahahahaa! The extensions all look great, and thanks for the extra mounting nuts and bolts. BTW, the official Armattan sticker is now proudly displayed on my RC Tool/Parts Box.

There were only 4 arms though. Tell you what, I'm so happy with what I got I'm willing to pay the shipping on the other two arms just so you're not out any extra cash. Iím just grateful for the deal in the first place. I would also like to order 2 sets of your CNC cut landing gear while I'm at it. I can't remember what you charge for them though. So just let me know what they cost and your estimate for shipping and I'll have the money sent via PayPal A.S.A.P.

Edit I better ad some of those nylon stand-off's to this order, because I'm just that good at breaking stuff. I'm talking about the small ones that sit between the distribution board and the board the KK2 sits on. Plus, the longer ones sitting between the KK2 and the clear acrylic top plate, and the nylon/plastic screws that fasten down the clear top plate. 4x of each mentioned above.

Thanks for everything,

-Pat

Oh, and this time I promise to leave a note letting you know who the hell I am in the PayPal comment area...Hahahahahahaa!

OK so you need two more arms, and if I understand this correctly, you already paid for them. Do you have a receipt? Come to think of it, don't you remember you substututed the two extra arms for centerfold packing material? Not so quick, there, Sir. I may be disorganized, but one thing I won't fogret is cutting out all these centerfolds.

Joking aside, let me know if this is correct and I'll add it to the order list:

1- two spare arms, metallic (please send me the length in mm)

2- 8 CNC landing skids

3- long and short nylons standoffs for mounting the FC with nylon screws ( 2 sets of each?)

I should have that in the mail next Tuesday.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
Hi Duck,

To answer your question, yes, the CNC frame if A LOT stronger than the M frame. It's also a tad heavier. The arms can bend ina bad crash. I have managed to bend one so far and it was a brutal crash on solid ground. I used a hammer and straightened the arm back to shape. I had to reef on the arms with the hammer for it to regain its shape. It really did not feel like hitting alumi. Felt like hammering steel. The metal did not deform under severe hammering like common alumi would. It did not budge. The hammer did not even leave marks on the anodized surface. Not kidding. If you hit common alumi hard with a hammer, the hammer will sink into the alumi leaving huge marks. Not this alumi. It's incredibly strong, but yes, a sever crash can bend an arm but you won't need to replace it. You can straighten it out and go back flying.

Anyways... I have ordered only 12 arms to build 255mm frames. So I'll be building 3 more of them. I'll have the parts on Saturday so I can have a frame in the mail for you next Tuesday. You'll need good motors and good batteries for this...

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:59 PM
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
I'm back! Was stuck at work all day and had to send shipped notices to 9 people. Just about to address your posts guys. But first, have a look at this beast.

http://youtu.be/8qdt-dtyn1k

hehehe...

Best,
Chris
Dude.........

That's some filthy sick speed right there. I started cracking-up from the very begining when I saw how close the prop tips were. OUTSTANDING!

Chris, I'll confirm the order with measurements later on. I have the arms set-up for paint at the moment. (The length you used was whatever it took to make the overall length 700mm)

-Pat
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Quick question,

Can my ESC's that have been flashed with the SimonK firmware be used on a fixed wing aircraft or are they now strictly for multirotor aircraft? I ask because I already have someone interested in my 3 extra.

Thanks,

-Pat
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:04 PM
United States, TX, Spur
Joined Sep 2011
346 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
Pool Noodle CNC 355 Landing gear.

Here is my method of using Dollar Tree Pool Noodle for resilient landing gear on my Armattan CNC 355.

I use a piece of bamboo skewer to attach each piece as pictured by pinning it through the center hole of the CNC landing strut.

Picture 6 shows how to get the correct position for the entry hole of the skewer.

Make sure to keep a bit of tension on the foam when pinning for a tight fit against the frame (particularly when piercing for the second hole).

This method also works very well on DJI 350, 450 and 550 (and clone) frames to prevent broken arms on hard landings.

Name: PC110010.jpg
Views: 80
Size: 189.9 KB
Description:

Name: PC110012.jpg
Views: 65
Size: 193.1 KB
Description:

Name: PC110013.jpg
Views: 61
Size: 163.5 KB
Description:

Name: PC110014.jpg
Views: 55
Size: 152.6 KB
Description:

Name: PC110015.jpg
Views: 54
Size: 124.1 KB
Description:

Name: PC110016.jpg
Views: 54
Size: 140.6 KB
Description:
Although the skewer looks a bit lower than the hole in the above pic it is actually about a skewer thickness above the hole in the strut.
This keeps tension on the foam for a snug fit to the frame.

If there are questions , fire away.

Thurmond
T3PRanch is offline Find More Posts by T3PRanch
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3PRanch View Post
Here is my method of using Dollar Tree Pool Noodle for resilient landing gear on my Armattan CNC 355.

I use a piece of bamboo skewer to attach each piece as pictured by pinning it through the center hole of the CNC landing strut.

Picture 6 shows how to get the correct position for the entry hole of the skewer.

Make sure to keep a bit of tension on the foam when pinning for a tight fit against the frame (particularly when piercing for the second hole).

This method also works very well on DJI 350, 450 and 550 (and clone) frames to prevent broken arms on hard landings.

Attachment 5366238

Attachment 5366239

Attachment 5366240

Attachment 5366241

Attachment 5366242

Attachment 5366243
Although the skewer looks a bit lower than the hole in the above pic it is actually about a skewer thickness above the hole in the strut.
This keeps tension on the foam for a snug fit to the frame.

If there are questions , fire away.

Thurmond

Very clean looking build, Thurmond. You did awesome with the DIY kit.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Closed Thread