HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by bobepine, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:41 PM
United States, NJ, Fairfield
Joined Jan 2012
92 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter View Post
It may sound hardcore, but after one of "mud" crashes i just rinsed the motor with water, runned it and let it dry

Works OK
i don't know if i like that idea or not. I suppose if i can't figure anything else out i might try that. Do the brushless motors come apart easy?
mactek is offline Find More Posts by mactek
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:20 PM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Trader Rating: 34
Quote:
It may sound hardcore, but after one of "mud" crashes i just rinsed the motor with water, runned it and let it dry

Works OK
I agree with that, but also remember to oil your bearing after doing that. You should be oiling you motor bearings from time to time anyway.
Bryan's Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Bryan's Flyin
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:28 PM
Poland, Śląskie, Bielsko-Biala
Joined Jan 2012
634 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan's Flyin View Post
I agree with that, but also remember to oil your bearing after doing that. You should be oiling you motor bearings from time to time anyway.
I have problem what to use for lubing

Have this two on hand, but:

Vaseline oil - collects dirt&dust as hell
Silicone oil spray - it's diaelectric and kills motors ...

shafter is offline Find More Posts by shafter
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:10 PM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Quote:
I have problem what to use for lubing

Have this two on hand, but:

Vaseline oil - collects dirt&dust as hell
Silicone oil spray - it's diaelectric and kills motors ...

I'm pretty sure you can use light weight motor oil on these too. I use good old 3-IN-ONE. I saw on one of the motor websites that you can use SAE 20-50 engine oil, I think.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,693 Posts
Trader Rating: 164
I had a really nice bottle of lube made specially for motors and recently when packing propellers, the bottle fell into the box as I was packing the props. Buyer sent me a thank you note for the "free" motor lube. Props were worth 5 bucks, the lube was worth 25$. Shipping this back from the US wasn't worth it so he got to keep the lube.

Yes, Shafter, I also use water pressure to clean dirt out of motors. Then I lube the bearings as mentioned by Bryan.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:46 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined May 2005
603 Posts
Trader Rating: 66
What size of 3 blade can I use for the 9045 size?
DbleX is offline Find More Posts by DbleX
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:49 PM
United States, NJ, Fairfield
Joined Jan 2012
92 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
So you guys just run the motor under water in the sink. Then let it dry and drop some oil inside.
mactek is offline Find More Posts by mactek
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:30 PM
United States, MI, Haslett
Joined Mar 2010
326 Posts
Trader Rating: 40
Larry the iPhone trade order

Hi chris
I decided I want the 355 cnc as we discussed and in addition an M frame only with 399 mm arms or whatever is the longest whithout the shipping charge . Also an extra set of cnc landing gears . So right now I owe you about 15$. depending on how the shipping goes tomorrow. I will let you know.

Larry
lklansingkiter is offline Find More Posts by lklansingkiter
Last edited by lklansingkiter; Dec 02, 2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:56 PM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DbleX View Post
What size of 3 blade can I use for the 9045 size?
You can use 9 inch triple blades:
http://www.himodel.com/plane/3-blade...CCW_Black.html
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:21 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,256 Posts
Trader Rating: 125
DIY quads

I decided to share some photos of my DIY Armattan 356 quad. I changed up the layout of my ESCs and I changed the ESC wiring to the motors as well. Have a look.

I may try some Heli landing gear to the next one to provide more protection to the battery during those not so nice landings.

Jim
Jim Frahm is offline Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:40 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined May 2005
603 Posts
Trader Rating: 66
All I can say is wow. I got settings for aerobatics and this thing is heaven!

What a fun quad to tear up the skies with! Flew in 20 mph winds and had a blast!!!!! Too bad they don't make auto rotation and reversed pitch blades!

Oh by the way, when you rip the skies, watch your time! Lmao gonna need new gear kits! Had so much fun I forgot about my battery!

Kinda important, lol
DbleX is offline Find More Posts by DbleX
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:40 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,742 Posts
Trader Rating: 23
Hey Jim:

Did you solder a JST to the PDB to power the LEDs?
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:42 PM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Frahm View Post
I decided to share some photos of my DIY Armattan 356 quad. I changed up the layout of my ESCs and I changed the ESC wiring to the motors as well. Have a look.

I may try some Heli landing gear to the next one to provide more protection to the battery during those not so nice landings.

Jim
That looks awesome Jim. I like the way that looks with the esc's on top of the arm. I noticed Warthox does that also and had been thinking about doing a build like that myself.

A set of Chris's new landing skids would look good on them too!

Excellent build and pictures. Thanks for showing them to us.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:56 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,256 Posts
Trader Rating: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
Hey Jim:

Did you solder a JST to the PDB to power the LEDs?
Actually I soldered them directly to the PDB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan's Flyin View Post
That looks awesome Jim. I like the way that looks with the esc's on top of the arm. I noticed Warthox does that also and had been thinking about doing a build like that myself.

Thanks! I think the ESCs are a little more protected on top but it doesn't look as clean. I'm going to fly it this way for a while and see which why I like best before I build the second DIY kit.

A set of Chris's new landing skids would look good on them too!

Excellent build and pictures. Thanks for showing them to us.
Jim Frahm is offline Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:43 AM
WRX STI V - EJ22 - 35.3 PSI
Malaysia, Selangor, Puchong
Joined Nov 2012
879 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
blimey ive been "armattan-ed" !!

oppa gangnam style !

Thank you, Merci beaucoup, Danke schön, mahalo, arigato gozaimus, tak, Terima kasih, Grazie, & muchas gracias amigo chris !!!

FYI - industrial designer here...been working on a 3d model for a prop guard design...well was, until a few minutes ago my solidworks and 3ds max crashed on me !!!
now im here , kinda buzzed on **** lookin at you guys and all your thread hehehe ... freakin jobless today!

will post here for u guys, specially to you chris , to check out the design in a few weeks, for output, renders of the solidwords and 3ds max models for my idea, im sure u gents will all have useful input for me to consider!

hahaha its aaaall you chris !

cheers,

Pm when u have a breadther and we can talk about my questionnare... like u said i got all the time in the world ... and we can talk about that "other " option too
Ayodhya is offline Find More Posts by Ayodhya
Closed Thread