HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:19 PM
Nick
United States, AL, Hoover
Joined May 2012
175 Posts
Help!
Old Ultracoat

Bought 70 rolls of Ultracoat at an estate sell for $50. I guess it got hot in this guys workshop or maybe because its old. When I peel the backing off the color stays on the backing leaving me with a clear piece of covering. Anybody got any tricks I can try?
Thanks
NIck
Nicksbbq is offline Find More Posts by Nicksbbq
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:05 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
hmmm I have never heard of that before. In fact.. i had some old rolls and the paper backing separated from the plastic. If the coloring and heat activated glue stuff defused from the actual plasticized sheet., i would say it's shot. The plastic would probably make a good covering when building on the plan.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:30 AM
Nick
Joined May 2012
175 Posts
Ok I found a fix. I wrapped the roll in aluminum foil. Set the oven on 170 degrees as low as it would go. Put a cookie sheet on the bottom rack to diffuse the heat. Placed foil wrapped Ultracoat on top rack. Baked for 20 minutes turned oven off , let cool for another 20 minutes took out opened foil. Unrolled Ultracoat no color stuck to the backing. Appears to work very well.
Thanks
Nick
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:52 AM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,653 Posts
That's a pretty slick idea! Go BAMA!! (used to live in Decatur and Cullman)

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:39 AM
Nick
Joined May 2012
175 Posts
Additionally all the glue is gone. I tried some Balsarite and some Aqua Net hair spray they worked ok on surfaces but when I have to overlap on a seam or edge nothing seems to work. Anybody ave any suggestions for reapplying some type of substance to replace the glue for overlaps. I sure would like to find a way to use this as I have so many rolls.
Thanks
RCG Plus Member