SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Oct 2012
39 Posts
Discussion
Possible to fly 2 (or more) helis simultaneously from one transmitter ?

I would be really interested to know if it's possible to bind 2 helis to the same channel and fly them simultaneously side by side from a single transmitter.
Would be equivalent to flying two stunt kites from one set of lines.

Does anyone know if this can be done ?

Thanks
Boris13 is offline Find More Posts by Boris13
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:28 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,967 Posts
Not really possible to fly two heli's simultaneously. But it might be fun to try. Some 2.4ghz systems won't let you bind more than one RX to a TX but some others will though. You could also use 72mhz and use as many as you like then.

I do remember years ago a fellow used to build and fly a group plane using four separate Blue Angels jets attached together on a frame with the engine up front, using a diamond shape, he had the left plane be the left aileron and the right plane the right aileron and the rear plane was the elevator. When the setup flew it looked like it was four planes flying in tight formation. It was pretty cool like that too.

So you could tie the two or more heli's together on a common framework and then it would be much more doable for flying them in formation.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:31 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Define "heli" - 1 blade, coax, quad? Is a stabilization system allowed?
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined Oct 2012
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Some 2.4ghz systems won't let you bind more than one RX to a TX but some others will though.
-You wouldn't happen to know if that's possible with the Walkera Devo transmitters by any chance ?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:18 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,212 Posts
On a 2.4 radio? Maybe if you use "Fixed ID" and use the same ID number on all your helicopters? Anybody with two walkera helis willing to give this a try?

I know two transmitters can't connect to the same helicopter. The binding process means the TX sends a unique ID number to the heli which the heli saves in memory and will ignore all other packets with the wrong ID. But the data protocol i saw doesn't actually specify an ID for the RX, only the TX, so the packet doesn't actually specify a destination. If you can manually set that ID and set it for all your heli's, maybe?
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Oct 2012
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
On a 2.4 radio? Maybe if you use "Fixed ID" and use the same ID number on all your helicopters? Anybody with two walkera helis willing to give this a try?
-yes that's exactly what i was thinking
I only have one devo 2.4G heli, otherwise I would have already tried it

Maybe somebody out there can test this for us
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:30 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
If you have Futaba or something without ModelMatch, you can control two aircraft at the same time with the same signal. The receivers don't know there's another receiver turned on out there. With Spektrum you can do it with the micro stuff - you can defeat ModelMatch by binding two aircraft to the same memory slot of a Spek radio. ModelMatch simply uses a different ID for each memory slot - so, you're binding to a memory slot, not the radio as a whole. Futaba binds the radio as a whole.

So yeah, it is possible to have two aircraft listening to the same control signal. I've heard of a 700 electric flying off the table because of this - the person uses Futaba, and they forgot to unplug the battery of their 700E and they went out to fly their nitro, and sure enough, the 700E responded to the nitro's control signals just fine, and whomped itself off the table.

However, your question was more "can the same control signal fly two aircraft" and the answer is a definitive no. The problem is the two aircraft won't stay in sync with each other - one will get a wind gust that the other one doesn't get and from that point on, they're going in different directions - error would build up until one or both aircraft were in impossible attitudes.

Flying two aircraft at the same time with two radios has been done.
One Pilot Two Planes (3 min 11 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:10 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,859 Posts
That.......

......is VERY impressive....

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Oct 2012
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
...So yeah, it is possible to have two aircraft listening to the same control signal.
- Sure they're just dumb robots we're flying really. So in theory it should be easy to trick them like this.

Quote:
However, your question was more "can the same control signal fly two aircraft" and the answer is a definitive no. The problem is the two aircraft won't stay in sync with each other - one will get a wind gust that the other one doesn't get and from that point on, they're going in different directions - error would build up until one or both aircraft were in impossible attitudes.
- Well if you had altitude + position hold on both helis you could switch that on to bring them back into sync with each other (if they get seriously out of shape). Then once re-synched, you could carry on flying 'em.

I suppose landing could still be a problem. Or just land one, unplug his battery, then land the other.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:23 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
[QUOTE=Boris13;23292837
- Well if you had altitude + position hold on both helis you could switch that on to bring them back into sync with each other (if they get seriously out of shape). Then once re-synched, you could carry on flying 'em.

[/QUOTE]

That's what I asked earlier. I think some of the multi rotor stuff and stabilization systems just might make it possible - as long as you don't expect any fancy flying.
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:19 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
I saw a guy in our local gym fly two vapors at the same time, they started out in sync and slowly drifted appart until it became impossible to keep one of them from bumping into something I bet that would happen fast on a heli
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:49 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
I saw a guy in our local gym fly two vapors at the same time, they started out in sync and slowly drifted appart until it became impossible to keep one of them from bumping into something I bet that would happen fast on a heli
Yeah you would need a lot more than altitude hold. A friend of mine has a mode on his quad where it moves with the stick regardless of orientation... forward stick always makes the helicopter move due north, left stick it goes west, and spinning it around doesn't change that. Should be possible to fly two of them for a little while in formation that way, but unless you could control location absolutely, they would still drift apart.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined Oct 2012
39 Posts
Quote:
Yeah you would need a lot more than altitude hold..
- Altitude hold and position hold would work to get them back in sync. They'd both be standing motionless in mid-air.

After they've stood still for a few seconds the gyros would re-align just as if both helis were on the ground, and they would thus be synched up and ready to carrying on flying in formation.

(maybe heading hold facing due North would be needed too.)
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:51 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris13 View Post
They'd both be standing motionless in mid-air.
Clearly you've never flown a helicopter before...

I can't be done with a single control signal unless the birds are fully autonomous.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Oct 2012
39 Posts
Maybe you're delibrerately misunderstanding everything I say

I never said to fly the helis all the time with altitude and position hold switched on.

I said you could use that military heli style positional hold just to re-sync the 2 helis when they get out of shape. Once re-synched you switch it off and carry on flying.

I don't think that's really such a hard concept to grasp ? I've repeated this simple idea about 4 times now, but the message just doesn't get through.......