HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:46 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightcoastRC View Post
Hey! I like that idea! smaller pieces for less shipping!

So far, a Slicko V2 Rf model will only need new vertical braces under the wings...

EDIT: Um, wait a minute, is that aileron servo hole upside-down? is the servo going to be upside-down?
lol, you caught the ailerons servo before I could mention it. The other thing you'll notice is the cut outs for the standoffs, and other items.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:49 PM
Professional Pixel Flyer....
United States, VT, Weathersfield
Joined Dec 2005
376 Posts
You know me, I am a fan of SFGs!

Yeah she is still sitting there like that waiting for me to install the new Aileron servo and ESC...
RightcoastRC is offline Find More Posts by RightcoastRC
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:01 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Ok, I'll mess around with SFG's.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:26 PM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2009
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khen View Post

Any feed back is welcome!
Do you use 1.3# EPP? If so, would it be possible to use 1.9# EPP to eliminate the CF bracing and fences and still yield a more rigid airframe?

Also...a larger canopy would be nice to generate more side area for lift for knife edge maneuvers, etc.
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:35 PM
Professional Pixel Flyer....
United States, VT, Weathersfield
Joined Dec 2005
376 Posts
Khen I just ordered a couple tubes of Welders and 4 more Gemfan 8x4.5 props from you, gotta make sure My Slicko is ready!
RightcoastRC is offline Find More Posts by RightcoastRC
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:09 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLAV8R View Post
Do you use 1.3# EPP? If so, would it be possible to use 1.9# EPP to eliminate the CF bracing and fences and still yield a more rigid airframe?

Also...a larger canopy would be nice to generate more side area for lift for knife edge maneuvers, etc.
The EPP will be thinner (7-8mm) and a little more dense. I probably won't go as heavy as 1.9# on this small of plane, but something closer to 1.5# possibly CNC cut vs saw cut. I've tried all differen't densitys and thicknesses of EPP both hot wire and saw cut. Of course there are trade off's to each. If it is preferred by everyone I will drop the fences and carbon struts/LE. That's something I've been contemplating in my mind a lot. I don't necessarily like the looks of them, but nothing I know of gives an EPP wing that kind of rigidity with a low weight gain. The wing feels closer to a plank of wood than foam. But it won't be as noticeable without them on this size/weight of plane.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:57 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
Thinner.. Less drag GREAT,sharper crisper flight,durability slightly down but that should be offset by slightly higher density foam. Ive flown both and really.. thinner cuts sharper lines and just flys better than 9mm regardless of foam type in the 32'' size stuff. Struts and fences work very well but that could be left up to the builder,ive seen plenty of kits and some do add extra bracing but many seem to be happy without it and may not notice the difference depending on flying styles and cell counts used. The leading edge strip im all for,gives a little extra rigidity and lots of tear protection if you fly around trees or fences or anything that can shear or tear chunks out of the front of the wing,but again that is easy enough to add on your own if you prefer the added protection for the wing during the assembly. I was flying something today and im sure while trimming branches etc the leading edge carbon saved me a couple times.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:01 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Ok, I'll mess around with SFG's.
I'd love to try (BUY) a plane with SFG's.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:06 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
...I will drop the fences and carbon struts/LE.
What are fences and carbon struts/LE?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:26 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
What are fences and carbon struts/LE?
The wing fences are the 2 EPP pieces standing up on either side of the wing. The struts are the carbon fiber go down from the fuselage, through the fence and into the wing. The LE carbon is the strip glued to the lead edge of the wings on either side.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:15 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Got it
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:08 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Thanks all for your great feedback on Slicko V2.

Here is an updated picture with the following changes so far.

1- Enlarged upper fuse and canopy. You can see the silhouette of the original shape. I exaggerated it for testing and will alter after flight tests.

2- Aileron servo moved forward and tail servo's moved back for a wide range of battery placement options.

3- Wing fences, gone.

I'll be trying different SFGs and various other tweaks mentioned.

Keep the feedback coming.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:28 AM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,190 Posts
OK, I had to join this thread...Khen, when I got the wing struts glued inplace on the current build ( over in the other thread ), I twisted the wing at the tips and it did not have much strength, the fences really do their job to make the wing "surfboard strong". When you place a plane on the bench, and then try to twist the wing with the struts and fences, you will see the carbon rods make an "S" bend as they are resisting the forces, and it is the fences that are dampening that...
maxxnut is online now Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:45 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxnut View Post
OK, I had to join this thread...Khen, when I got the wing struts glued inplace on the current build ( over in the other thread ), I twisted the wing at the tips and it did not have much strength, the fences really do their job to make the wing "surfboard strong". When you place a plane on the bench, and then try to twist the wing with the struts and fences, you will see the carbon rods make an "S" bend as they are resisting the forces, and it is the fences that are dampening that...
Hello maxxnut, yes, I agree it is the combination of the fences and struts that make the magic for a really stiff wing. On the new kit I'm thinking of eliminating both the struts and fences. I think the looks deter a lot of people as well as the added complexity. For those that still want it they can add them easily enough. I've got a prototype on the way and will really put it to the test.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:28 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
I really like the looks of V2. Is it gonna be 32 in ws? If so, I'll wait til it's available, and go that route for my next!
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider