SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:53 AM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Oct 2012
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
I fly warbirds, making an EDF currently and I can fly 3D and you know what, I'm considering a Fun Cub for my next plane purchase.
The Multiplex Fun Cub is the work horse of growing fleet of planes. I have 8ft wingspan balsa planes down to the foamie ultra micros and the fun cub is just that, Fun! It's a great trainer and with its oversized wheels you can practice landings on the more forgiving grass instead of bouncy hard surfaces. I taught my 15 year old neighbor to fly on it and he now loves to fly. The power system I put in mine allows for unlimited vertical, any aerobatics you would want and can tow up large gliders with the built in tow release with ease. I find flying the well mannered "trainer" type aircraft much more relaxing and fun than flying by the seat of your pants trying to keep your edf from turning into a lawn dart. Although I do enjoy sometimes taking my combat wing out and screaming around at 100mph+.
Watts cooking is offline Find More Posts by Watts cooking
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:34 AM
Jamal
Canada, PE, Charlottetown
Joined Aug 2012
206 Posts
So many replies... So little time to reply to them all. I read them all though!
RCJamal is offline Find More Posts by RCJamal
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:42 AM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,062 Posts
Great! Have you decided on a plane yet?
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:56 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,438 Posts
I don't normally like to toss out suggestions in threads like these, but I'll make an exception here to say that this plane sounds like exactly what you're after. High quality, good performance, excellent for beginners, and not too expensive either.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:16 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,601 Posts
C4, that's a brilliant find! I like it!

The Benefits -

l Zero throttle lag and zero residual thrust; makes landing an electric jet easier than a turbine jet, especially in a crosswind.
l No turbine waiver needed.
l Minimum support equipment necessary - bring spare batteries and a charger for more flights.
l No vibration to wear out components.
l No liquid fuel to saturate the inside of your model.
l Low heat environment.
l Electric Reliability.
l 150+mph performance.

It's a GREAT plan! How can you NOT learn to fly if you spend that kind of money?
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Nov 21, 2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:30 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,454 Posts
[QUOTE=Rockin Robbins;23325653]

It's a GREAT plan! How can you NOT learn to fly if you spend that kind of money?[/QUOTE Ha Ha rocken robbins now you know why i have never gotten into jets , my pockets are deep but not that deep. I have thought of scratch building my own jet and i have some different plans but i think its like buying a full size boat (money pit) lmao joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:31 AM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
4,601 Posts
Heck, just don't buy a landing gear and it's really reasonable. Where's your sense of adventure?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:07 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
I don't normally like to toss out suggestions in threads like these, but I'll make an exception here to say that this plane sounds like exactly what you're after. High quality, good performance, excellent for beginners, and not too expensive either.
For some reason I thought it used to be cheaper than that. I've seen one and it's very nice, but I've only ever seen one, and there's quite a few guys around here who fly the pricey turbines. I've looked at it a few times, whenever my bank account starts to swell a bit
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:00 PM
Jamal
Joined Aug 2012
206 Posts
I hope that was a joke! I only have $500 in my bank account
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:06 PM
Jamal
Joined Aug 2012
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
I thought he is fixing a Sky Fly 2? It's actually decent trainer until you break the tail boom.
I don't understand why people are saying I am not following the advice, I have most of the recommendations in my favorites. I don't know what is really wrong with my plane, it seems that the motor is working fine when I test it in my house, but it did last time too. If anything breaks on it I can just go over to my local shop (Great Hobbies), they have some parts in stock for the Sky Fly 2 and if they don't have the part I need, they order it for me.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:29 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJamal View Post
I don't understand why people are saying I am not following the advice, I have most of the recommendations in my favorites. I don't know what is really wrong with my plane, it seems that the motor is working fine when I test it in my house, but it did last time too. If anything breaks on it I can just go over to my local shop (Great Hobbies), they have some parts in stock for the Sky Fly 2 and if they don't have the part I need, they order it for me.
I think some want you to get a nice easy to fly trainer and are looking out for your best interest realy, so dont get upset if they say some wrong things here and there. I remember you coming here to apoligize and the ones talking trainers are giving good sound advice and forgave you. good luck on what ever you choose. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:02 PM
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I think some want you to get a nice easy to fly trainer and are looking out for your best interest realy, so dont get upset if they say some wrong things here and there. I remember you coming here to apoligize and the ones talking trainers are giving good sound advice and forgave you. good luck on what ever you choose. joe

There's always the alternative; Some people have to learn the hard way
mrdd54 is offline Find More Posts by mrdd54
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:46 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,213 Posts
Hey RCJamal,

1. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, buy/fly a simulator, then a 3-4 channel trainer and learn to fly. Build or buy the sleek jet later.

2. All the advise on building is well and good, if you want to go that route and you are a talented builder. Build your trainer if you think you are a builder first, and a flyer second.

If you are a flyer first, and a builder second...then do the former.

You gotta decide what kind of modeller are you.

I used to like to build, because I had no choice then. The only ARFs were Lanier ABS plastic and they were expensive. If I were to start all over again right now, I would choose option 1. If you decide on Option 2, let us all know so we will stop bugging you and let the Build/Fly guys take care of you. Either way, I hope you success. We need guys like you in this hobby. I also know it will keep you out of trouble and make you a better person.
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:53 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Take the Sky Fly 2 to the hobby shop and have the people there take a look at it. I'm sure they will be happy to help you. Learn to fly on the plane you have and then move on to something else. A good second plane would be one of the parkzone ultra micros. And as a third plane you could get the e-flite UMX Mig-15 edf.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:04 AM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
4,601 Posts
Quote:
I hope that was a joke! I only have $500 in my bank account
Well, you could buy just the low end landing gear! Ya, that is one pricey plane. But when you get into expert class scale EDFs, high price is part of the game. I'm sure the whole thing was just a joke not directed at you.

Hey, it shows that in RC the sky is the limit for your wallet too!