Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:43 AM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
United States, MI, Novi
Joined Jan 2011
506 Posts
[QUOTE=CF105;23310901]

Case in point: once winter settled in last year, I used my Super Cub as a guinea pig for a motor upgrade, added ailerons (and flattened the wing), got the basics of working with Monokote, and a bunch of other things that I would probably never do with another plane.

QUOTE]

Very nice work!

BTW. Another way to increase the "cool factor" of a trainer such as the Super Cub is to add floats. Seriously. Hardly a day goes by when someone doesn't come by and ask questions when they see me flying my plane off the water. It is just sooo coool! Be forewarned that this takes a little more skill than landing on grass. The "cool factor" suffers greatly when you flip over on a hard landing and bystanders watch as you wade out to your overturned plane, bobbing up and down as the wind carries it out to sea!
mybad is offline Find More Posts by mybad
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:53 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604 View Post
My suggestion to the OP is to buy a high wing RTF trainer, i.e. HZ Champ, Cub, SuperCub then learn to fly.

When he knows how to fly, he can build or buy whatever model he wants.

But to ask him to build, test/trim, learn to fly....all at the same time is too much, IMO and not necessary. Unless he is one of the few who is a jack of many trades.

Granted that in the ole days, that's what we RCers had to do. Point is these days, we have the resources available to make life easy.
I build my own planes but when it came time for my sons trainer i could have built him 3 or 4 different high wing trainers but it just made sence to pick up a high wing foam ARF . They fly well and i can buy replacment parts for them once i let him off of the buddy box i think he will probobly need some. MYBAD i have been flying only off of water for last 10 years and you are right its a blast ! joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:48 AM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
Building an rc plane without an idea of how one works in the first place is not a good way to go. You are going to need way more parts than you think, and it could take a while to finish building it. If you don't build it well, your plane will fly poorly. Since you're a beginner it would be difficult to know if the plane is flying badly due to you controlling it or sloppy construction/setup.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:51 AM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
Buy either a Hobbyzone Champ, Supercub, or Stratos (If you really don't like the cub look) and actually fly and have fun!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:59 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,746 Posts
But see, that's just it. IMHO, the OP will not buy a plane he deems is "uncool." Hence the insistance on buying or building a jet; I agree with easyrider on this one. How can you build a plane correctly if you don't understand flight or can't fly?. All we can do is suggest guys, anything more, and the OP bristles. He has already been given the suggestion of a bunch of high wing trainers and has apparently rejected them ................so..................... Good luck to you Jamal.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:11 AM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
United States, MI, Novi
Joined Jan 2011
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post

But see, that's just it. IMHO, the OP will not buy a plane he deems is "uncool." Hence the insistance on buying or building a jet; I agree with easyrider on this one. How can you build a plane correctly if you don't understand flight or can't fly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kov16 View Post

Buy either a Hobbyzone Champ, Supercub, or Stratos (If you really don't like the cub look) and actually fly and have fun!
Jamal, I have a great idea!

Buy one of the above planes.

Fly it!

If you have trouble flying it, and even have to repair it after crashes, then you will have to admit that the conventional wisdom had been correct.

If, on the other hand, you find yourself very proficient with no crashes whatsoever, then you can SELL your pristine plane for a small loss in the classifieds and get that jet. It will have cost you very little, AND you will be able to tell us all just how wrong we were!

What have you got to lose?

It's a win - win solution!
mybad is offline Find More Posts by mybad
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:41 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,861 Posts
This one looks promising. http://www.hobby-estore.com/Redcat-F...e-p/ep-f18.htm It's even suitable for outdooors!

The incredible stability really shows in their video.
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H
Last edited by Ron H; Nov 20, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:55 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
This one looks promising. http://www.hobby-estore.com/Redcat-F...e-p/ep-f18.htm It's even suitable for outdooors!

The incredible stability really shows in their video.
Camera tricks and other hooey... the marketing department has you right where they want you.

Airplanes shaped like that are not stable, period. It is stable as hell compared to, say, an F-104... but it's not stable at all when compared to a proper trainer. The web site is flat out LYING to you. They want you to buy the product and they don't really care if you are successful with it. There's a lot of companies out there like that - they have realized that they can stay in business by getting ONE SALE from every idiot who doesn't know any better. Don't be that guy.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:12 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,307 Posts
What they dont show is how many hours of flying pattern ,3-D and other stuff it took the pilot before they paid him to make the edf look tame plus slow motion on the camera . I agree with jasmine on this one. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Nov 20, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:17 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,861 Posts
I was trying to be sarcastic. The video actually shows just how twitchy it is.

I also noticed most of the other recommendations are being rejected by the OP, so I figure he should just get a jet, video the maiden and get it over with. Maybe his video will be as good as yours.
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:21 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watts cooking View Post
My favorite plane to fly is my multiplex fun cub it's a great trainer and capable of growing with your skills. The two videos are of my fun cub and a little of what it can do maybe looks like fun to you good luck and don't ever give up on the hobby.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=l60ovzRJEIo
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=plcp&v=1wFe39g8Luk
I fly warbirds, making an EDF currently and I can fly 3D and you know what, I'm considering a Fun Cub for my next plane purchase.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:56 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
My easystar is much more fun to fly overall than any of my edf's.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:18 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,675 Posts
I find it ironic that the OP started this thread to appologize for not following the expert's advice in one of his previous threads and now he is doing the same thing. There's something rotten in Denmark.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:21 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
I find it ironic that the OP started this thread to appologize for not following the expert's advice in one of his previous threads and now he is doing the same thing. There's something rotten in Denmark.

Larry
I thought he is fixing a Sky Fly 2? It's actually decent trainer until you break the tail boom.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:14 AM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,350 Posts
I am surprised no one posted this video (just for grins, no newbies were harmed in the making of this video):

RC Flying Noob (3 min 36 sec)

I have been flying for 20 plus years and I now fly multi-motor, warbirds and generally more complex planes but I still have not flown a "jet" other than a micro EDF. However, I am very conservative in my flying. I have just got to the point where I am thinking about it.

Recently I started flying a very high performance pusher wing to get my reaction times polished up. I think a fast wing or scimatar would be a good EDF pre-trainer. However, I think a jet is at least 3-4 planes down the road at a minimum with lots of practice and help from others at the field. The ASX Mig would be something a beginner could fly after the micro Trojan but first a Champ and maybe some SIM time.

Enjoy the process of getting to the "jet" and take your time.

Dave
payne9999 is offline Find More Posts by payne9999