HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,333 Posts
I hate to say it , but, IF you want to learn to fly rc you must get over the looks thing. AT least for your first trainer plane.. Probably first two...

Get online and search "beginner rc planes"... IF you have a coach your plane options are much greater than self learning.
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJamal View Post
Does anyone know where I can order the battery, motor, servos and esc for this I would also need adhesive to build it, and I don't know where to get depron.
Now I'm starting to think you're a troll... Are you serious? You ask for advice and apparently are not listening ...
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:55 AM
KK4QIN
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
That's a fine looking plane Seth, but it has a lot of downthrust. Does it need that much to fly?
Thanks, a lot of downthrust, and a lot of right thrust too, that's how CTH sells it. Yes it does nee that much, or it would pitch up with throttle. And i think i could reduce the amount of mine a little because i have that thing way overpowered, and it will slightly go down when i give it full throttle, but nothing bad at all.
nightfox7 is online now Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:21 PM
Jamal
Canada, PE, Charlottetown
Joined Aug 2012
206 Posts
I think I should focus on getting my Skyfly 2 to work and start learning with that first, and maybe try my flying wing, and @rtbates one of the guys who replied previously mentioned that plane, but I couldn't manage to find all those right parts for it... maybe you should read things before you put stupid comments saying that you think I am a troll,... Are you serious? Obviously I am.
RCJamal is offline Find More Posts by RCJamal
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:53 PM
KK4QIN
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,083 Posts
Quote:
I think I should focus on getting my Skyfly 2 to work and start learning with that first, and maybe try my flying wing, and @rtbates one of the guys who replied previously mentioned that plane, but I couldn't manage to find all those right parts for it... maybe you should read things before you put stupid comments saying that you think I am a troll,... Are you serious? Obviously I am.
Dude.. Chill.. Think about what goes on here, people join all the time just to troll. And you are new, you gotta make a name for yourself, and that partly comes along with listening to advice that is given to you be the experienced people on here, and not being resentful about what planes to choose. Everything that has been on here has been to help you get into this hobby successfully, but if you aren't going to listen, don't start name calling and accusing people of things.

We like to deal with things calmly and think through them, we try our best to give sound advice to people, and most of all, we don't like to see people get something above their skill level, crash it, then never get back in because they got discouraged. If you listen to what people have to say on here, you won't regret it at all. And ultimately, will get into the air and have a great time.

I don't mean to come off as rude, but you will get yourself into trouble here if you dont learn how things work around here.

Peace,
-Seth
nightfox7 is online now Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:10 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,231 Posts
WOW! that is alot of down thrust . joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:13 PM
Jamal
Canada, PE, Charlottetown
Joined Aug 2012
206 Posts
I was listening to all the advice, I have all the links I was given in my favorites. I was just telling him to stop accusing me of being a troll, obviously I am serious.
RCJamal is offline Find More Posts by RCJamal
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:23 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,265 Posts
I see nothing wrong with building Dekan's F-22 as a trainer. I mean, obviously there are better options out there, but just because it's designed to sort of look like a jet doesn't mean that it's a purebred monster. It seems like a lot of people here fall into the trap of thinking that anytime a plane can be related to the word "jet", it's automatically too fast, heavy, and maneuverable for a beginner to fly. This simply isn't true. If I build a go-kart that sort of looks like a Ferrari, is it still a Ferrari?

If it's built light with EPP (not Depron), it'll be plenty durable and easy to learn on.

The equipment can be found in a number of places. I believe HeadsUp RC has all the necessary components if you want one-stop shopping.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:26 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Now I'm starting to think you're a troll... Are you serious? You ask for advice and apparently are not listening ...
We all started out wanting to fly a P-38 or a mustang ,till you try a plane like that but you cant call him a troll or make fun of him he is new to flying . He will either listen to some great sugestions most have posted here or he will have to keep buying planes and learn the hard way till he learns how to fly or gives up. We as the older model builders and flyers can only suggest the right path to go its up to him witch path he takes. If he gets a trainer and learns to fly great if he go's and gets a jet and crashes and burns well thats good to. I and other old hats will still be building and flying our planes and we wont loose to much sleep about it. lmao joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:44 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
934 Posts
One of the nice things about the plain, ol' "vanilla" trainers is, once you have the basics down, you can unleash your creativity on them. Because they are designed to be stable & unforgiving... they also serve as a good platforms for experimenting with.

Case in point: once winter settled in last year, I used my Super Cub as a guinea pig for a motor upgrade, added ailerons (and flattened the wing), got the basics of working with Monokote, and a bunch of other things that I would probably never do with another plane.

I know it's a "hard sell" to someone starting out that sees the cool jets, warbirds & such. I think we've *all* been there. But you gotta walk before you can run.
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:58 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
3,959 Posts
Solution

Quote:
Dear RC lovers,

You might have seen my post where I was asking for help with picking out a plane for Christmas. If you saw that, you more than likely saw my rude replies to the people who were trying to help me by telling me that I should get a trainer, instead of a jet. I am very sorry for replying to you guys with bad attitude, and I know it's wrong, I wasn't having that great of a week. Please forgive me.

Here is the replacement of that post. I am looking for electric plane for beginners, but I don't really like the look of planes like cub and stuff, I am going for a more of a sporty look. I don't know if those type of planes even exist, so don't go crazy with the replies telling me that they don't. Basically what I am looking for a trainer that looks somewhat like a jet, or is a jet with the maximum price of $100 CAD (Which is pretty close to the same as USD). I also want it to be a kit that includes most of the electronics, like motor, esc, and battery (Unless I already have those parts that it requires). I am not trying to be picky, but please do not reply with links to a product on HobbyKing, as the shipping cost tends to be rather pricey. If anyone has any suggestions, please just put it in a reply to this.

Thank you!
& have a fantastic day.
Steve Shumate Depron F-15 pusher kit. It's not hard to build, (can do it in about 4 days if you stay on it) and you can use a variety of motor ESC combos that'll tame it down to "trainer-like" quality, and later once you're comfortable, you can hotdog the set up for pure fun! You can get it at www.6mmflyrc.com and everything you need to complete it is availabe from a number of sources and very cheap. Mine total priced at about $90. Give it a look, there's a thread on RCG for it as well. I'll try to post the link when I get a chance. Can't really do it from here at the moment.
Edit: here ya go!
http://www.6mmflyrc.com/original-series/
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Last edited by Moonbeam; Nov 19, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:06 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
930 Posts
[QUOTE=Logan4169;23289946]Trainers don't look like they do as some sort of prank on the newbies...QUOTE]
I think this is so funny!
I also think that newbies lives would be much easier if WW2 had been fought between Austers and Storches,it would save us trying to control Stukas, etc!
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:08 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,265 Posts
Quote:
I also read someone post that newbies lives would be much easier if WW2 had been fought
Errrmmm.... Wasn't it?
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:33 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
Errrmmm.... Wasn't it?
Yes, it was.I paused because I couldn't remember the name of the little yellow Airfix high wing army liaison model I made as a kid- I thought it was American then Google told me it was a Brit design.I am sure it was used extensively by the US though.Plus, it isn't an original thought of mine- there is something glamorous about the WW2 fighter planes,that WW1 planes and jets just can't match.Once they lost their props and had swept wings, they just don't look like planes anymore.And they didn't look much like planes when they started stacking wings above each other -that nonsense started about 1903, I believe.
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Last edited by alibongo; Nov 19, 2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:44 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,046 Posts
My suggestion to the OP is to buy a high wing RTF trainer, i.e. HZ Champ, Cub, SuperCub then learn to fly.

When he knows how to fly, he can build or buy whatever model he wants.

But to ask him to build, test/trim, learn to fly....all at the same time is too much, IMO and not necessary. Unless he is one of the few who is a jack of many trades.

Granted that in the ole days, that's what we RCers had to do. Point is these days, we have the resources available to make life easy.
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Last edited by easyrider604; Nov 20, 2012 at 12:06 AM.