HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:07 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBean View Post
Because all opinions are worth being posted in a fair and open forum. You might agree or disagree with a stated opinion, but unless someone is being outright vulgar for the sake of vulgarity, then let them be heard in these open forums. (I can do without the "Lenny Bruce" routines, but am a strong believer in freedom of speech)
This web forum is an expression of freedom of speech, of the site owner; not of the participants.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:33 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Because all opinions are worth being posted in a fair and open forum. You might agree or disagree with a stated opinion, but unless someone is being outright vulgar for the sake of vulgarity, then let them be heard in these open forums. (I can do without the "Lenny Bruce" routines, but am a strong believer in freedom of speech)
I agree with you on the vulgarity issue 100%. I believe in freedom of speech as well, but that isn't a right or guarantee here, it's a privately owned site with a published set of rules. They are pretty easy to follow. If the OP had a genuine desire to start a discussion, they certainly could have done so within site rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
This web forum is an expression of freedom of speech, of the site owner; not of the participants.
+1
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:51 PM
Have Guitar Will Travel
The Digital Domain
Joined Nov 2008
1,367 Posts
Quote:
That's a contradiction in ideologies. If it's that of the site owner, then it's not freedom of speech. Freedom of speech is a universal concept that does not hold special privileges for RCG.
(And of course you might have made that statement with a hint of sarcasm, which is understandable. )
TravisBean is offline Find More Posts by TravisBean
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:12 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
Quote:
That's a contradiction in ideologies. If it's that of the site owner, then it's not freedom of speech. Freedom of speech is a universal concept that does not hold special privileges for RCG.
(And of course you might have made that statement with a hint of sarcasm, which is understandable. )
No, it isn't a contradiction.

If those who post here desire to express THEIR freedom of speech, they can create their own website. THIS website is the expression of JB.

No sarcasm included, it is simple reality. This is the property of someone, who controls the speech allowed here.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:25 PM
Have Guitar Will Travel
The Digital Domain
Joined Nov 2008
1,367 Posts
Quote:
No, it isn't a contradiction.

If those who post here desire to express THEIR freedom of speech, they can create their own website. THIS website is the expression of JB.

No sarcasm included, it is simple reality. This is the property of someone, who controls the speech allowed here.
RCG, love it or leave it !!
TravisBean is offline Find More Posts by TravisBean
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:27 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
Quote:
RCG, love it or leave it !!
Well, yes. Posts are allowed here, within the ruleset created by the site owner. If that is unsatisfactory to any, they are free to express their own freedom on their own website.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:07 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,373 Posts
Well it wasn't me. Besides spam, I have reported exactly one abusive post, and I wasn't even the abusee. When something posted irritates me I click "back" instead of "report". Or on the rare occasion, "ignore".

OTOH I have been targeted for my 9th-grade humor on a fistfull of occasions. Technically clean. Not even in the urban dictionary. Still objectionable to "someone". So be it, Jedi.

Gotta love law and order. Arguably television's most durable franchise ever. I like the Vincent D'Onofrios best. He has such range!
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:28 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
Well it wasn't me. Besides spam, I have reported exactly one abusive post, and I wasn't even the abusee. When something posted irritates me I click "back" instead of "report". Or on the rare occasion, "ignore".

OTOH I have been targeted for my 9th-grade humor on a fistfull of occasions. Technically clean. Not even in the urban dictionary. Still objectionable to "someone". So be it, Jedi.

Gotta love law and order. Arguably television's most durable franchise ever. I like the Vincent D'Onofrios best. He has such range!
Yet even at that, if a mod doesn't think it violates a rule here, it doesn't matter what grade level the humor is; nor would it matter if it gets 'targeted.'
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:33 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I take pride in every point I recieve. But yeah ... sometimes I've got to wonder ... who are these people with such thin skin that they can't just brush stuff off and move on?

I never flag anyone ... not worth it.
What does it matter?

More specifically, what value do you find in knowing who reports what?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:42 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
D'Onofrio is indeed the Human Chameleon. From Full Metal Jacket to Law and Order to Fire with Fire he is the ultimate character actor.

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:01 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,373 Posts
Quote:
if a mod doesn't think
Surprised D'Onofrio isn't more ubiquitous. Heartily admire his work.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Sat mornings are great for law and order on TNT. Been keeping and eye out for a good deal on the box set for the series as I can't justify $550.00 for it. Prices have not been dropping.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:41 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,373 Posts
How dare they charge that for a show that's on cable for "free"?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:45 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
I know I know.....but it will take many many lazy Sat mornings to get every episode in.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:35 AM
Borders, language & culture
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2001
213 Posts
everything should be open and honest. reporters should be known information.
AintQytRite is offline Find More Posts by AintQytRite