HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:08 PM
Russian Federation, Murmanskaya oblast, Kirovsk
Joined Nov 2011
70 Posts
Discussion
My carbon 125mm EDF

Hello jets fans! Allow me to present my project 125mm EDF. Test in two weeks with a motor HET-800 590kv 12-14S.

More foto
http://www.flickr.com/photos/87295379@N06/
QQHeaD is offline Find More Posts by QQHeaD
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:30 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
I will be watching for your test results. Looks nice. How much thrust (lbs.) are you expecting to get out of it, and how many amps is it going to pull you think?
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:58 PM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,511 Posts
Whats the price tag going to be???
super kupfer is online now Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined Nov 2011
70 Posts
Have to wait for the test results. I hope to receive 7kg at 100-110A to 12S.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Nov 2011
70 Posts
~250$
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:49 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
767 Posts
Copy a fan....add an extra blade...build it cheap...this story is getting old. Those blade hubs look skinny but maybe the CF will have enough strength...if the consistency of quality is there ...good luck! If you were avoiding a direct copy of the DS94HST...I would have dropped the blade count to 11 or 10.
Air-Jon is offline Find More Posts by Air-Jon
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:18 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QQHeaD View Post
~250$
Sounds like a great deal.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:35 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,709 Posts
Yes, please stop copying the car too...there's 12341l;dsa fq24tfsg designers of the modern car and only they should be making it.

Please look at Shubes DST 94s thrust to watts...

If you can get close to that you might have winner
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:43 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
767 Posts
Great deal superkupfer..yeah because cheap high blade-count multi-piece fans have been so successful…NOT! How many people lost motors, time and planes due to CS12 90mm failures? And about 2 people have been successful with the CS12 120mm deal. And really...erh777...comparing the automobile industry to this…if anything it only proves my point…When the Yugo was sold in the US…it was touted to be every bit as reliable as a Honda civic for half the price…and we all know how that ended. Go spend a grip of money on developing and bringing a product to market and then have someone make and inferior copy of the product (yet it will be marketed and evangelized by people like you as close to equal or superior) and then undersell you by an order of magnitude. Then come back to me and tell me how you feel about this. I will agree that most of the people in the market for and DS94HST would never touch this fan if it actually gets to the market. I have been tempted by cheap fans before...but I realized by the time I put all the money and time into big expensive airframe...I certainly don't want to be a cheap fan guinea pig. The even bigger issue is the safety. I’m pretty sure that some early versions of high-blade/high-end count carbon fans were throwing blades due to root failure. These guys go and add an extra blade and make the root even smaller...(CS12-90mm comes to mind...should have been a CS10-90mm)...I will bet there is going to be blade root strength issues. Its just bad design work….no reason to have more than 11 or 12 blades on a fan this size. Good luck with the quality and customer support at a price point of $250…because cheap fans always have great support and all the customers are so happy…..NOT. You are way better off buying a proven Dynamax or RAMTEC or STU than buying this thing if you want t high blade count fan. They all will cost you $150-$300 dollars more than this vaporware. If your $1000 or more airplane/gear get destroyed because of this fan...you will wish you spent the couple hundred more bucks. A Dynamax with the proper motor can come within 5% of a DS94HST looking at Thrust/watt.
Last edited by Air-Jon; Nov 16, 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:57 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
767 Posts
That said....the fan looks pretty and it is an nice prototype...except for the blade count thing and small hub roots. The $250 ea price just sounds silly and alone makes me very leary of their business model...it must just be a hobby venture. If this was a quality 1 piece, GRP 10 blade molded 125mm fan...then $250 sounds about right.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:20 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,515 Posts
Air-Jon,
Have you checked out QQheaD's flicker pics? This craftsman built and molded all the blades himself. His molding work is excellent and you might consider reevaluating your quick to judge comments. Again, he does not appear to have splashed another fan...he crafted his own plugs and molds. Great work so far QHeadQ!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8729537...in/photostream
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:22 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-Jon View Post
Great deal superkupfer..yeah because cheap high blade-count multi-piece fans have been so successful…NOT! How many people lost motors, time and planes due to CS12 90mm failures? And about 2 people have been successful with the CS12 120mm deal. And really...erh777...comparing the automobile industry to this…if anything it only proves my point…When the Yugo was sold in the US…it was touted to be every bit as reliable as a Honda civic for half the price…and we all know how that ended. Go spend a grip of money on developing and bringing a product to market and then have someone make and inferior copy of the product (yet it will be marketed and evangelized by people like you as close to equal or superior) and then undersell you by an order of magnitude. Then come back to me and tell me how you feel about this. I will agree that most of the people in the market for and DS94HST would never touch this fan if it actually gets to the market. I have been tempted by cheap fans before...but I realized by the time I put all the money and time into big expensive airframe...I certainly don't want to be a cheap fan guinea pig. The even bigger issue is the safety. I’m pretty sure that some early versions of high-blade/high-end count carbon fans were throwing blades due to root failure. These guys go and add an extra blade and make the root even smaller...(CS12-90mm comes to mind...should have been a CS10-90mm)...I will bet there is going to be blade root strength issues. Its just bad design work….no reason to have more than 11 or 12 blades on a fan this size. Good luck with the quality and customer support at a price point of $250…because cheap fans always have great support and all the customers are so happy…..NOT. You are way better off buying a proven Dynamax or RAMTEC or STU than buying this thing if you want t high blade count fan. They all will cost you $150-$300 dollars more than this vaporware. If your $1000 or more airplane/gear get destroyed because of this fan...you will wish you spent the couple hundred more bucks. A Dynamax with the proper motor can come within 5% of a DS94HST looking at Thrust/watt.
You can't even compare the cheap made in China products via the made in Russian quality as long as they are made there.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:26 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,511 Posts
Please let us know how it goes with testing.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:27 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,214 Posts
Doesn't look like a copy of the DS94HST to me at all. Since everybody is making high blade count fans now, you really have to pay attention to the details. These blades are different and the stator is the standard super simple 4 blade, no taper or twist thing.

I haven't thrown a blade from mine and they are very thin and just glued in.
Steve C is online now Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:06 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
767 Posts
I think I have see his work and it looks good…he is a craftsman....but the price of $250 just seems like you are not valuing your work, and really considering the full cost of supporting a manufacturing and customer service operation. Manufacturing controls and product support are very different from making prototypes. Really look at all of your costs. I have no doubt about proper Russian designers making awesome products. i would feel just as safe sitting in a Russian built SU-27 as I would in a F-15. But... a SU-27 does not cost 1/4 the cost of a F-15...SU-27 price = 30 million....how much for F-15...wait for it.......$30 million. Quality is not cheaper in Russia…or anywhere…marketing people just make you believe it is by appealing to emotions.
Just really look at your pricing structure and make sure you can really support customers at $250 each including overhead and everything...and make some money for yourself...otherwise you are just going to piss people off. I bet the price settles in around $400-500.
Pdawg...let’s be real...the fan packaging and layout is almost an exact copy of the Schubie...down to the carbon foam sandwich shroud…and I’m ok with that if he is somehow adding value to the product. The way it is supposed to work in the world is you improve on existing products by improving value. Value consists of many things including customer support, performance, safety, ease of use. The problem is so many products are made inferior to the product they are competing with...and the only appeal is a lower price. This is fine when you are talking about hair driers and sunglasses...but when you are dealing with something like a high performance fan that is pushing materials to their limits...cheaper does not make the product more valuable. I hope you succeeded but please explain what give this fan value? if it is quality and performance...then your price does not reflect that...unless this is a social project and you are doing out of the kindness of your heart.