Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Apr 2004
46 Posts
Discussion
making a windscreen

are there any threads or tutorials on how to make windscreen out of a bottle?i have an MKI NSR In need of one thanks
bigmd is offline Find More Posts by bigmd
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:54 PM
United States, OH, West Unity
Joined Oct 2007
97 Posts
not much of a tutorial, but, take a piece of paper, lay it over where the windshield goes, trace along the edge of the fairing. trace another line a little bit outside that line to give you a place for mounting. cut that out, test fit and trim accordingly. Then trace that on the bottle where it curves at the top. If you don't mind trial and error, you could skip the paper and use piece of a bottle for the pattern.
poomwah is offline Find More Posts by poomwah
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:00 PM
London
Joined Aug 2006
33 Posts
heres a link that may help

http://rcmcc.tripod.com/id19.html
turbod is online now Find More Posts by turbod
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:55 PM
RCMCC.tripod.com
Fremont, CA
Joined Sep 2003
2,316 Posts
So easy, a 3L coke bottle already has curvature to it. So just trace it out and cut with lexan scissors.

Then use a reamer to cut the holes.

Buy 2-56 screws and nuts and secure the lexan window to the 4 holes on your cowling.
grymg is offline Find More Posts by grymg
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Oct 2007
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grymg View Post
So easy, a 3L coke bottle already has curvature to it. So just trace it out and cut with lexan scissors.

Then use a reamer to cut the holes.

Buy 2-56 screws and nuts and secure the lexan window to the 4 holes on your cowling.
or use the 3liter bottle and make the whole front fairing :] super light and won't break
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:11 AM
Kungsangen, Stockholm, Sweden
Sweden, Upplands-Bro Municipality
Joined Dec 2011
252 Posts
Show us.
z_dad is offline Find More Posts by z_dad
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:50 AM
Joined Apr 2004
46 Posts
tried a couple times with smaller bottles.got close but not perfect.will try again.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:52 AM
Kungsangen, Stockholm, Sweden
Sweden, Upplands-Bro Municipality
Joined Dec 2011
252 Posts
great article!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbod View Post
heres a link that may help

http://rcmcc.tripod.com/id19.html
This was very informative, tank you.
z_dad is offline Find More Posts by z_dad
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Apr 2004
46 Posts
ok I used a 2L bottle and its getting closer to looking good.the only problem is a used a green ginger ale bottle.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Oct 2007
97 Posts
now just paint the bike green and you're all set :]
mmm ginger ale, now I'm thirsty
seriously though, I used to work on bikes, and a LOT of sport bikes had colored windshields, green tinted ones were quite popular with the kawasaki guys for obvious reasons, they also look really good on black machines as well. Luckily I stopped working on real bikes before everyone started putting monster scratches on everything
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Apr 2004
46 Posts
poomwah it looks ok but still may go clear.the bike is white and may do the Pepsi decals since they are the only repos i can find.got your parts too they look great gave them a nice coat of rattlecan gray.i just built myself an 82 cb450.transformed it into a street tracker
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:17 PM
RCMCC.tripod.com
Fremont, CA
Joined Sep 2003
2,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poomwah View Post
or use the 3liter bottle and make the whole front fairing :] super light and won't break
I've done many of them - It's ok, but it's super flexible so if you crash, it will flex and the ground scrapes right into your frame. Thick lexan vacu-formed is the best option but not available.

I've also never tried a Venom GPV-1 body yet.
grymg is offline Find More Posts by grymg
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Apr 2004
46 Posts
grymg your bikes look awesome.ive looked at them over and over.anyway my MK1 will just be a shelfer.i picked it up on ebay for cheap and it turned out to have all the kyosho hopups.even the esc and mini servo.so it will be put together that way with a few aditional hopups such as the kyosho rims and high grip tires.just something to hold me over while i finish up my real Honda cb450