HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:32 AM
Thomasville, GA 31792
Joined Apr 2002
1,060 Posts
I learned early on how to keep from landing in trees.

Step 1. Don't fly near trees.

Steps 2 through.... Keep repeating step 1.
rogerflies is offline Find More Posts by rogerflies
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:11 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,521 Posts
I have two poles, a 24 foot and an 11 foot. Both extend and both are from Home Depot. They are for painting. You can tape them together to get about 32 feet. They are $45 and $20 respectively.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:49 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,130 Posts
I can't remember if it was one or both of those which were used to help get a glider of mine down recently. Especially useful as it was starting to get dark. Thanks Ed!

When I was younger I once retrieved a glider for someone by nailing alternating blocks as steps on either side of a tree which had no branches until 20 or 30 feet. I recently watched a teenager retrieve a hexacopter by climbing vines for 20 or 30 feet and then branches. His mother went 20 feet up on the same vines to hand him my roof rake poles.

I sometimes use a compound bow for lofting arrows to get a string over the aircraft. Works pretty well, but it's a bit on the heavy draw side, so if I make more than 10 shots I'm going to be sore.

This summer I was watching kids fly rockets in a big event at our field. One kid had put a tube on the hose of a fire extinguisher full of compressed air and could loft a grappling hook with it. The grappling hook was a bad idea, but a weight of some sort would not be. Probably a good idea to repaint the fire extinguisher. A fun feature is that you could look at the gauge while you were pumping it up and therefore control the height of the shot. Maybe I should make one of these. Nice and compact compared to a compound bow. Or one could make a calibrated, low power potato gun!
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member