HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2003, 03:27 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,578 Posts
1911 Caudron Build

I am building a 1911 Caudron from a R/N Models kit and will convert to 3 ch. r/c. Iíll do my best to document the process here. Iíve read mostly good things about these kits but thereís not a lot of info available. CORRECTED: I do know this company was purchased recently by Penn Valley Hobby who will continue to produce the kits. They have an interesting selection of kits that are a good size for IPS or equivalent conversion. Check them out at http://www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com...r/rnmodels.htm
or http://www.peck-polymers.com/html/kits/rnscalekits.htm

Here are the stats on this model:
WS: 31Ē
Wing Chord: 5 1/2
Wing Area: 148.5Ē
Under cambered airfoil
Length: 19 1/2 ď
Projected weight with IPS-A and Etec 700: 7-9oz ???

Phil Burress
Wichita, KS
pburress is offline Find More Posts by pburress
Last edited by pburress; Dec 14, 2003 at 12:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2003, 03:29 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,578 Posts
Need all the help I can get!

Currently I plan on using an IPS-A for power. If power is lacking I will go with the IPS Dual. Not sure on a battery yet but Iím thinking a 2-cell Etec 700 li-poly would work well and keep the weight down. Iíll do my best to document the build here.

Question #1: Do you think I should increase the wingspan on this model, and if so, by how much? I havenít started the wings yet and it would be easy to lengthen them by a couple of inches.

Warping: The original airplane used warping for the elevator. Should I attempt this? It seems like it could be done without too much problem. On the other hand maybe I should just keep it simple and have a hinged surface!

Iím not sure yet how to set up the rudder. On the original airplane the whole rudder swiveled on a post. Any ideas? Of course I can just hinge this also I supposeÖ

All input is welcome!
Last edited by pburress; Dec 09, 2003 at 03:34 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2003, 03:31 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,578 Posts
So far itís coming along fast. This is a good design, nice and simple. There are no instructions in the kit, just the plans. Itís all printed wood, not die cut or laser cut, so I had to cut out all the parts with my trusty x-acto knife, which took about 3-4 hours. Itís really not that bad!

Modifications: Any input here is appreciated! This is my first rubber-powered conversion. Due to the hardness of the balsa provided and a good design I donít think I will have to strengthen the fuse much. The wing spar is strong hard balsa but the LE may need to be beefed up. Also I may sheet the wing near the fuselage.

I was worried about putting the fuse sides together with the formers and getting it square but it turned out okay and looks pretty straight to my eye.

The balsa provided in the kit, especially the sticks, is very hard and Iím guessing itís pretty heavy. I suppose I could swap some out for lighter but I donít think I will. It doesnít seem to be overbuilt by design but I think it will be strong. At any rate, Iím counting on the li-poly battery to be my weight savior! When I get the wing framed I will weigh everything and get a better idea of what the AUW might be.
Last edited by pburress; Dec 09, 2003 at 03:50 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2003, 03:32 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,578 Posts
Just starting the Wing. Should I lengthen it?
Old Dec 09, 2003, 03:35 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,464 Posts
I built this a few yrs ago for I.C. Flys very good. Used a Cox Texaco & Cannon radio.
If I had the equipment we have now it would have been electric.
I would leave the wing area alone. Or you will have to increase the stab in proportion.
And you are correct.. just rudder & elevator. The dual GWS would be my choice for light wt power.

Good Luck, it's a very pleasant flying plane.

Steve
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Dec 09, 2003, 03:39 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,464 Posts
BTW, is that Dave Platts design in your avatar?

Steve
Old Dec 09, 2003, 03:55 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,578 Posts
My Avitar

Yes, good eye! That's the Miles Magister designed by Dave Platt and kitted by BMJR Models. Here's the thread where I posted my notes on it: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...miles+magister
Old Dec 09, 2003, 03:58 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,464 Posts
I have been considering that build. Some people are unaware of Daves love for freeflight and small models.

Steve
Old Dec 09, 2003, 04:05 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,578 Posts
Warping?

St. Martin, Do you have any pics of your IC Caudron? How did you attach and hinge the rudder? I don't suppose you used warping on the elevator? Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think this would be a great challenge to set up... just a little trial and error!

Phil
Old Dec 09, 2003, 04:16 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,464 Posts
When I built this, the Cannon radio was the smallest radio commercially avail., if that says anything. I needed to keep it as light as possible. I would go for what you want. Thats what it's all about.

My rudder was hinged with Southern R/C CY hinges. It was a very slow positive flying plane. Especially with the control and flying wires. I remember using 3 washers under the glow plug, so I could spin a 9" prop. I hinged the stab on the spar, which was almost disasterous on the first flight.

I just recently built the PT-1, my first R7N model since the early 90's.

Sorry, there was pics... a long time ago. I do still have the PT-1

Steve
Old Dec 09, 2003, 05:43 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,792 Posts
Phil,
Although a bit bigger, I built a model inspired by the R/N kit. It featured the all moving rudder and a type of semi warping tailplane. At 45" span, and powered by a geared 400 it was a very steady flier. Having since discovered just how inaccurate, scale wise, the R/N model is, another one is on the cards.
Hinging the rudder was simple, a length of carbon rod built into the surface provides a rudder post, while a length of aluminium tube fitted into the fuselage supplies the mount/hinge tube. Pull/pull cables operate both rudder and elevator.
As regards the elevator, that had a piece of thin ply let into the upper surface, above the hinge line. In operation, although it did actually hinge, it looked as if it were warping. Control cables ran from the fuselage exits, though eyelets on the king post ends and from there to the trailing edge. You can make out the king posts in the photo, they look like horns, but are in the fixed part of the tailplane. they simply serve to guide the cables.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Dec 09, 2003, 08:48 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,578 Posts
St. Martin: Good to know this might be a good flier. Unlike myself. How about a pic of the PT-1?

Pete: That's a fine model, as all of yours seem to be! Thanks for the info. You know, I have the plans for your Chiribiri from FSM on the wall and may be building one of those soon. You have good taste in airplanes... keep em' coming!
Old Dec 10, 2003, 01:48 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,464 Posts
I use this for flying around the lamp posts at Wally-Mart in the summer.

MP-Jet 4.5-1, Sp-300 (I stole the decals from a Dauntless kit)

Steve
Old Dec 10, 2003, 08:05 AM
Imagine That!
Tularosa, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,641 Posts
R/N Models

Sad to see them go - R/N modeled an interesting range of seldom-seen aircraft.

Penn Valley Hobby has only a few types left, but I've seen R/N kits on Ebay now and then.

http://www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com...r/rnmodels.htm

At any rate, thanks for sharing your build with us!
TomJacoby is offline Find More Posts by TomJacoby
Old Dec 10, 2003, 10:29 AM
Obstinate spurious drone
Cost-ifornia, 90045
Joined Feb 2003
252 Posts
R/N is now owned and produced by Penn Valley.

What they lack in current stock will be corrected with time. P.V. is becoming a sort of conglomerate of old OOP kits and defunct manufacturers.

They are resurecting many rubber power-free flight kits from those days gone by- that are now remebered as good.
jeff edmondson is offline Find More Posts by jeff edmondson