HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:17 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,362 Posts
2500watts is perfect for 4 to 4.5kg. Works for me in my 4.5kg FF F-100. Goes like schnell in my 3.5kg Starmax F-16.
I have sent an email to SM asking about the brown models intakes. Will let you know what they say.
Cheers
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:28 AM
Theuns
Joined Sep 2011
197 Posts
Howzit Graham! (as the villan usually says - yes, it is I)

I have been getting some exelent advice from the guys on this forum and between them and you even I will be able to get a small EDF into the air!

I simply must visit you and drool all over your hawk ;-)

Theuns
T. van Vuuren is offline Find More Posts by T. van Vuuren
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:34 AM
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Mar 2011
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. van Vuuren View Post
Howzit Graham! (as the villan usually says - yes, it is I)

I have been getting some exelent advice from the guys on this forum and between them and you even I will be able to get a small EDF into the air!

I simply must visit you and drool all over your hawk ;-)

Theuns
Small world...LOL.
Graham d is offline Find More Posts by Graham d
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:59 AM
Theuns
Joined Sep 2011
197 Posts
Yea, I'm watching you.....

Theuns
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:32 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
2500watts is perfect for 4 to 4.5kg. Works for me in my 4.5kg FF F-100. Goes like schnell in my 3.5kg Starmax F-16.
I have sent an email to SM asking about the brown models intakes. Will let you know what they say.
Cheers
The "brown" model pictures is from a large turbine model. I sent kin the links to those model schemes to recommend colour scheme options...

Looking forward to watching this build as I was/am supposed to be getting one of the pre-production models to assemble. Looks like you have prototype #1.

Thanks

Dave
ticketec is offline Find More Posts by ticketec
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Mar 2011
426 Posts
Did some more work on the Hawk today. The elevator is just about done.
The rods feeding into the elevator was not glued properly and I had to remove and roughen up the rods to get a better hold on to the glue. Whith all set I then made sure that the angle into the frame was also correct. The elevators are very far off from balance and should perhaps be looked into.

I used piano wire with a cf tube over feeding to the servo at the hatch. I required approximately 380mm length to reach the servo. I used a 4kg Metal gear servo to power the elevator. The whole setup seems strong with very little play.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:17 PM
Joined Mar 2011
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticketec View Post
The "brown" model pictures is from a large turbine model. I sent kin the links to those model schemes to recommend colour scheme options...

Looking forward to watching this build as I was/am supposed to be getting one of the pre-production models to assemble. Looks like you have prototype #1.

Thanks

Dave
Dave,

I used Mandy at FlyFly as my contact. Sorry that they have not sent you yet ,would have been nice to get another opinion on some of the issues.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:59 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,168 Posts
Not your fault mate

Yes it is always nice to have someone else to see how they are tackling the same problem. I have been trying to get in contact with kin at smart models for over a week now to no avail so I guess I'll continue with my other projects till then.
I'll be watching your build with interest instead!

Thanks

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham d View Post
Dave,

I used Mandy at FlyFly as my contact. Sorry that they have not sent you yet ,would have been nice to get another opinion on some of the issues.
ticketec is offline Find More Posts by ticketec
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:50 AM
Joined Mar 2011
426 Posts
And we continue......

Completed the elevator and rudder. The rudder was pretty straight forward with hinging and drilling some holes. Had to add some additional balsa behind the hinges for some extra grip.

My biggest issue this weekend was how to fit the fan with the bigger ducting.
First I ballanced the fan and motor combo which was pretty easy this time. I have the stronger CS blades on this fan and the watts were on 2450w and just under 100a on 7s on the stand.

I then cut a hole into the ducting for the esc for some cooling. I normally place the whole esc in the ducting with the foamies, but on this one I went with just placing the heatsink in the air flow - should be fine.

On the fan - ducting I ellected to cut off the lip of one of my extra Freewing fans that I will fix to the end of my CS fan. I will then tape it up to the inlet ducting as there is not much of a difference in size between the outer diameter of the lip and the ducting - hope it will not have a detrimental effect on the performance. - Feel free to chime in on this matter.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:42 AM
Joined Mar 2011
426 Posts
Installed the fan and ducting. Needed some fancy work to get the fan and ducting taped up as there is no way to tape up at the bottom as there is no space for fingers to work.
Testing installed fan gave me similar numbers as on the bench. The current weight with the wings, ducting, canopy, fan, motor and tail feathers come in on 2.6kg. Think I should be able to come in under 4kg auw.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:21 AM
Theuns
Joined Sep 2011
197 Posts
Looking good mate! Pity we missed each other over the weekend, would have loved to see it

Theuns
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:18 AM
Joined Mar 2011
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. van Vuuren View Post
Looking good mate! Pity we missed each other over the weekend, would have loved to see it

Theuns
Thank you T,

Let me know when you in the area.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:12 AM
Theuns
Joined Sep 2011
197 Posts
Most likely this Saturday at the PRF Heli flyinn, I need to go support the 222's Debut ;-)
Will give you a call.

Theuns
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:27 AM
Joined Mar 2011
426 Posts
I would like to introduce you to "CAPTAIN FANTASTIC"!!!!!!!

I have entered into negotiations with Cpt Fantastic to maiden the Hawk at a redeuced rate. He does look slightly worried because I told him there are not enough funds to have an ejection seat installed
Last edited by Graham d; Dec 02, 2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined Mar 2011
426 Posts
Construction is moving along nicely.

The front retracts have now been installed and I used the pull pull setup to steer.
Nothing much to reprt here - just the normal but she does look pretty smart at this stage.
I have also done the flaps, ailerons and mains. Actually went very quick with very little hickups.

I am actually very close to completion.

The following will need my attention:
- Canopy installation.
- Covers for aileron, flap and rudder servos
- Need to tidy up all the extensions
- Need to drill 2 holes through the fuss where it joins on the wings to mount screws to mount the wings for flight.

I would like to then to a taxi test during the week and then hand over to CPT Fantastic over the weekend.