HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:10 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_BB View Post
I've had a look at the Gluonpilot site.
The GP seems to share a lot of features with the UavDevBoard (I own a UavDevBoard).
Did you add a magnetometer ?
I would like to fly high and bring back some nice video but I dare not because I did not add a magnetometer to my UavDevBoard. This means that my autopilot will go berserk if the plane encounters high winds (if my plane flies backwards).
With available i2c, add a magnetometer is trivial, but ... why bother?

Gluonpilot is designed for aeroplane, not for quad ...

Gps give a correct heading if the aeroplane is moving with a speed above few km/h ... so the magnetometer is not really needed

e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:30 PM
France, IdF, Lagny-sur-Marne
Joined Feb 2007
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
With available i2c, add a magnetometer is trivial, but ... why bother?

Gluonpilot is designed for aeroplane, not for quad ...

Gps give a correct heading if the aeroplane is moving with a speed above few km/h ... so the magnetometer is not really needed

The problem is that at moderate altitude, the wind speed may be greater than that of the airplane. If your plane starts to move backwards for a fair amount of time then the estimation of the yaw will be 180 off. This means that the AP will mistake left roll for right roll and vice versa.
Paul_BB is offline Find More Posts by Paul_BB
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:41 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_BB View Post
The problem is that at moderate altitude, the wind speed may be greater than that of the airplane. If your plane starts to move backwards for a fair amount of time then the estimation of the yaw will be 180 off. This means that the AP will mistake left roll for right roll and vice versa.
If the wind is so strong that the plan is flying backwards, then it is better to don't fly

So ... for me it is not a problem and still no need to use a magnetometer for detect a situation that is anyhow outside the workable condition of the aeroplane independently by the type of controller used

Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:57 PM
Connecticut Quad Hacker
Joined Dec 2009
954 Posts
HI Guys,

I am new to this GluonPilot fc system. I currently have a Rvosd5. Can anyone tell me the difference between them? Mine is still in the box never been opened. I have multi multicopters that I am flying at present. I have plenty of RC airplane and heli experience also but I want to get a good laptop FC for flying distance with my own design plane. I have a couple of flying wings also. The reason the RVosd5 is still in the box is I have not had to time to learn the 3000 different features it offers and really my time has been tied up with multicopter testing and flying.

I am starting to get the itch for some long distance waypoint flying with laptop control to change course at will etc..... Does this GP2 offer that?

Sorry for being a little behind in the fix wing area but the multicopters have taken all my time, after this Hexacopter project I wish to move back to fixed wing for a while. This is the plane I have designed and will be building over winter so need a good FC system that I can control from ground station.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Cheers

Batfire
batfire is offline Find More Posts by batfire
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:36 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Dec 2005
279 Posts
GluonPilot Capabilites

The GluoPilot has 3 modes. Manual flight, stabilized flight and full autonomous flight.

The complete system comes with Main board with 3 axis accelerometer and 3 axis Gyro. and barometer for altitude control. The extension board sits on top and has the socket for the Xbee and has the OSD chip installed. The included GPS comes with a cable length of your choice. There is a USB connector on the extension board and you can plug the supplied cable into your PC and connect directly to the GluoPIlot to upload firmware updates or flight paths.

The unit can be powered directly off 3 cell LiPos and with the supplied alternate connectors can be used with 2 or 4 cell LiPos.

A high quality Ground Control System (GCS) comes with the GluonPilot 2. With this GCS you can program a flight using a moving map display. Auto Take off, position, altitude and speed can be set by using waypoints.and simple commands. The flight plan can also be updated by telemetry if you choose. The OSD chip gives you an overlay on the video display if using an on board video camera. Video in and out connectors are installed. The display includes lat and long speed, etc. super imposed on the video stream.

There are additional outputs to allow triggering of on board devices such as cameras, samplers, or other on board payloads.

In Manual mode control is by the pilot. In autonomous mode the plane is fully controlled by the GluonPilot.

So to answer the question the GluoPilot 2 is intended as a full function autopilot for fixed wing aircraft.

The RVOSD appears to be described primarily as an On Screen Display device that takes input from many sensors and integrates that information in the video stream to a ground display.

So for long range autonomous flight probably the GluonPilot is the better choice.

The pictures show the first assembled in North America GluonPilot 2s during assembly prior to test. The first availability will be next week. These will be assembled, sold and supported from Canada for the US and Canadian market. You will be able to call the support line and talk to a human for first line support. All units come completely configured. The configuration a person orders will be tested for a 24 hour burn in period before shipping. Cable lengths will be custom made to your requirements.
small_rcer is offline Find More Posts by small_rcer
Last edited by small_rcer; Dec 13, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:37 PM
Connecticut Quad Hacker
Joined Dec 2009
954 Posts
HI,

Thank you so much for the explanation and Wow I guess I will get one of these for my new project. Thanks so much for spending the time to explain the differences. I bought the osd5 because of the osd capabilities it offered but I really need a full system that I can change on the fly if needed. I will use Dragon link for the long range radio system.

Thank you for your time

I will be ordering a full system when it is available next week.

What is the website for u.s. buyers to contact?
batfire is offline Find More Posts by batfire
Old May 30, 2013, 09:15 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Dec 2005
279 Posts
North American source for GluonPilot2

What is the website for u.s. buyers to contact?

The web site has been up and running for some time now. For those interested

www.gluonpilotusa.com

Units in stock tested and ready for delivery.
small_rcer is offline Find More Posts by small_rcer
Old Jun 17, 2013, 02:31 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,030 Posts
Ok guys I am in...

I have my gluon installed in my X8 for testing...

So far impressions are good.

Here are my observations

1) very powerful GCS, but with power comes complexity... however I like it.... you can do almost anything you heart desires.
2) when running HIL simulator the AHI goes bonkers untill you givet autopilot commands...even then it does not respect things like "relative to launch" it needs work
3) I can't get it to trigger a pwm output on my channel 6 servo header to trigger my camera
4) no airspeeds sensor... so I am curious as to how it calculates windirection... I assume by seeing how much throttel is require in certain directions to maintian ground speed
5) I LOVE the navigation routines.... it tracks and correct beautifully... likely the best I have seen since attopilot

Support seems great from my reseller in Canada.

So far I love it... but I need it to trigger my camera or it's not very usefull hahaha.... if anyone knows something I may be missing that would be great.

I setup the trigger start point with pwm distance based and 50m intervals and 1800us for the pwm. The gcs calls out the triggering but no triggering actually happens. I have power on the pins and if I connect my trigger direct to the reciever it works fine.

Anyway glad to have this autopilot and very excited to put it through its paces. After I get these bugs sorted it the only question will be how many do I need

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:29 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
Ok guys I am in...

I have my gluon installed in my X8 for testing...

So far impressions are good.

Here are my observations

1) very powerful GCS, but with power comes complexity... however I like it.... you can do almost anything you heart desires.
2) when running HIL simulator the AHI goes bonkers untill you givet autopilot commands...even then it does not respect things like "relative to launch" it needs work
3) I can't get it to trigger a pwm output on my channel 6 servo header to trigger my camera
4) no airspeeds sensor... so I am curious as to how it calculates windirection... I assume by seeing how much throttel is require in certain directions to maintian ground speed
5) I LOVE the navigation routines.... it tracks and correct beautifully... likely the best I have seen since attopilot

Support seems great from my reseller in Canada.

So far I love it... but I need it to trigger my camera or it's not very usefull hahaha.... if anyone knows something I may be missing that would be great.

I setup the trigger start point with pwm distance based and 50m intervals and 1800us for the pwm. The gcs calls out the triggering but no triggering actually happens. I have power on the pins and if I connect my trigger direct to the reciever it works fine.

Anyway glad to have this autopilot and very excited to put it through its paces. After I get these bugs sorted it the only question will be how many do I need

Steve
Easy way to use your cam servos ... just use first 6 servo for gluon pilot control .. and use the 2 free channel from your RX (assuming you have 8ch tx/rx) for control the camera.

If you need gimbal control ... then it is a different story.

The gluonpilot code is open ... I did hack in the past for add FrSky telemetry support ... the code is well designed and written by Tom ... so ... if you are C able ... it is easy to hack for do something different then off-shelf stuffs

Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:57 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,030 Posts
yes thanks I can manually trigger my camera but I want the AP to trigger it every say 50m.

also you get the recorded trigger point and you can then gotag the photos.

I can actually get the camera to trigger by writing in triggers to the script interface.. but the distance pwm is not working. So all is well with my setup but the distace pwm.

I am using RDF900's for telemetry

Steve
Old Jun 18, 2013, 01:43 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,698 Posts
Quote:
yes thanks I can manually trigger my camera but I want the AP to trigger it every say 50m.

also you get the recorded trigger point and you can then gotag the photos.

I can actually get the camera to trigger by writing in triggers to the script interface.. but the distance pwm is not working. So all is well with my setup but the distace pwm.

I am using RDF900's for telemetry

Steve
This thread here is almost dead.

Tom has his own site and own forum for support Gluopilot board.

He is a smart and nice guy ... try to contact him on forum, and he will possible give you some good tips.

It I would have your need ... I would just program a photo every X seconds ... something that most of decent cameras can do off shelf ... inside a mission the airplane can fly at constant speed ... every 50 meter at constant speed is same like every X seconds

Old Jun 18, 2013, 05:22 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,030 Posts
yes I have contacted him now... and sorry every x seconds does not equal x meter... up wind and down wind legs are very different

thanks, I will use his forum now..

Steve

happy flyin!!!
Old Jun 19, 2013, 01:14 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,698 Posts
Quote:
yes I have contacted him now... and sorry every x seconds does not equal x meter... up wind and down wind legs are very different

thanks, I will use his forum now..

Steve

happy flyin!!!
Flying speed can be controlled by gps sensed speed ... anyhow ... good luck
Old Jun 19, 2013, 01:18 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,030 Posts
yes I know, believe me you can not peform the tasks I need with a timed trigger...

you can't slow your plane down when flying down a 40km per hour wind... you need to fly 60km per hour to keep airspeed up, and when goind against 40km per hour winds you end up flying much slower or you will draw all your power... so you get too many pics up wind and not enough down wind.

but what do I know I have only been doing UAV aerial surveying for 7 years

Steve
Old Jun 19, 2013, 02:20 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,698 Posts
Quote:
yes I know, believe me you can not peform the tasks I need with a timed trigger...

you can't slow your plane down when flying down a 40km per hour wind... you need to fly 60km per hour to keep airspeed up, and when goind against 40km per hour winds you end up flying much slower or you will draw all your power... so you get too many pics up wind and not enough down wind.

but what do I know I have only been doing UAV aerial surveying for 7 years

Steve
After 7 years of UAV ... you can still wait for a calm day for fly and get your photo every X meter ... using a timed trigger

Ok ... sorry for the joke ... I hope Tom can help you ... else ... you would need to hack on your own the Gluopilot firmware .. it is easier as you may think ... and I speak for experience (that mean, with no previous experience, I add FrSky telemetry on GluoPilot FW in few hours ... it take longer to download the IDE then the rest )