SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:00 AM
mattisdell
Joined Feb 2010
5 Posts
Discussion
new to autogyros...please help!

hey guys, just a question. I am new to autogyros and I have built the kellett kit from arizona autogyros(now out of buisness) and I cant seem to get the blades to balance. I did the static or spanwise balancing on a razorblade in a vice then marked the balance point down and added lead to the lighter blade. now when I do a spinup test its even more out of balance and it wants to rip my hand off because of the oscillation. I cant seem to figure out whats going on here and would love it if someone knows anything else on how to fix this. the instructions give no further direction on how to fix the issue, thanks alot, Matt
mattisdell is offline Find More Posts by mattisdell
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:30 AM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,759 Posts
G'Day Matt
You say that you have ballanced the individual blades.........have you also ballanced the complete three blades attached to the F/G plate ??
Chris..........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:14 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Matt,
Here's my thoughts on all this balancing (I hope I stir the pot on this one)!

I used to try to spin up the blades and add weight and go back and forth....adding weight, taking weight, chasing my tail like a dog!

Now what I do, is just get out my most accurate scale and weigh each blade. If one is off a little, I just add monocote. If it's off a lot, I add some alluminum tape, normally at the center of the blade. The problem with the Kellett kit is it uses the sig airfoil and I've had some pieces of that weight 20 oz and the next one weighs 80 oz!

So just try to get each blade weighing the same...however you can and call it good.

Did you get the video that came with the kellett? If not, I posted it here:
Autogyro Company Of Arizona Kellett Kit Video Part One (13 min 56 sec)

Autogyro Company Of Arizona Kellett Kit Video Part Two (14 min 28 sec)
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:19 AM
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
And one more thing...make sure you don't have the blades tighten down too much. Should be tight enough to hold them straight but loose enough for them to find their point of center. If you tighten them too tight, they will oscillate like crazy!

Where are you located? In the USA?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:54 AM
mattisdell
Joined Feb 2010
5 Posts
thanks guys, this does help alot. Im just to new to the gyros and am cofused on alot od things. Yes i live in northern california
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:34 PM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattisdell View Post
thanks guys, this does help alot. Im just to new to the gyros and am cofused on alot od things. Yes i live in northern california
What part of northern California? I'm in San Jose.

Don
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
There ya go! An autogyro expert like Don will get you in the air no problem!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:10 PM
mattisdell
Joined Feb 2010
5 Posts
to skydanz, I live in crescent city,ca way way northern right before oregon border on the ocean.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:18 PM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Matt? Bummer. That's a solid 400 miles.
I would say if you don't have any experience flying these things, you may want to consider practicing with a "trainer" gyro before risking your nice one. There is a relatively steep learning curve with these no matter how much fixed wing or heli time you have. There's a saying for gyros that goes "If they aren't set up right, they either won't fly or won't fly long." We all want to see you have the best experience possible so you'll keep coming back.

Don
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz