HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2014, 02:50 PM
devIAtion..one TX to bind them
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Aug 2011
1,103 Posts
New version!!! Comes with GT5.2 fbl gyro! I've built my e620 so I can't afford (and don't really need) the 550 FBL, but it's great to know that parts will be around for awhile.

$650 for the complete combo, good deal. I'd take this over an align 550 combo and save a couple hundred bucks at the same time...

http://www.ttamerica.com/helis/ttre0...fbl/index.html

Hexperience is offline Find More Posts by Hexperience
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2014, 01:10 AM
west coast flyer
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Couldn't say no for that price, especially with TH $100. member coupon

I order a spare lid with the green stickers, not sure I like the stock one. Hopefully it ships in the next couple weeks.
emeraldc is offline Find More Posts by emeraldc
Old Feb 21, 2014, 10:57 AM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,975 Posts
Pinion main gear alignment?

I spoke with tower support about the pinion/ main gear not fully meshing on my new flybar version and was wondering if it's an issue with the flybarless version? I was told that I was the first to report the issue to them and they are going to try a fix and send me the parts. The motor needs to be raised or the bottom of the pinion machined shorter for full engagement. It's been on the threads but not reported to them. I noticed it too building mine and didn't want to fly it that way until I cured the problem.
skypup is offline Find More Posts by skypup
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:25 PM
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Aug 2011
1,103 Posts

My e620. Still... I keep going back to Tower and looking at the 550...
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:31 PM
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Aug 2011
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypup View Post
I spoke with tower support about the pinion/ main gear not fully meshing on my new flybar version and was wondering if it's an issue with the flybarless version? I was told that I was the first to report the issue to them and they are going to try a fix and send me the parts. The motor needs to be raised or the bottom of the pinion machined shorter for full engagement. It's been on the threads but not reported to them. I noticed it too building mine and didn't want to fly it that way until I cured the problem.
When I bought the e620 (used) the seller included a motor plate used to lift the motor 2 or 3 mm's to help with that issue. I find that with the Scorpion motor and "Hard One" pinion it's not a problem as long as the pinion is mounted as far up as possible.

Not sure about the stock motor and pinion, are you able to turn the pinion "upside down"?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 07:23 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexperience View Post
When I bought the e620 (used) the seller included a motor plate used to lift the motor 2 or 3 mm's to help with that issue. I find that with the Scorpion motor and "Hard One" pinion it's not a problem as long as the pinion is mounted as far up as possible.

Not sure about the stock motor and pinion, are you able to turn the pinion "upside down"?
No. Reversing the pinion doesn't work.I spoke with Tower and they saw the problem for the first time and have provided a fix. Here is the response I got today.

"The spacer I tested worked well and created the proper spacing between the
pinion and main gear. The screws that are included with the spacer work well,
and are the proper length for your motor. I have ordered the spacer for you.
You should receive it in 3-10 business days via UPS.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Sincerely,

Josh S.

Air Support"
Old Feb 22, 2014, 08:18 AM
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Aug 2011
1,103 Posts
Great to hear they gave you good support. I'm so glad I got the thunder tiger bug. Good value helicopters from a company that's been around for along time and stll giving good support. The only thing I want from them now is a 50 size canopy that matches the new style like the e360 and e700
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:33 AM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Great to hear they gave you good support. I'm so glad I got the thunder tiger bug. Good value helicopters from a company that's been around for along time and stll giving good support. The only thing I want from them now is a 50 size canopy that matches the new style like the e360 and e700
My first nitro in the modern era (not the 70's or 80's LOL) was the LMH 110 and then a Raptor v1. I really loved that raptor. So rugged and reliable. I was really sad when they got rid of the 30 sized machine. If they still made them I would eventually build another. They held the market forever.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 07:17 PM
Flying a recreational vehicle!
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
2,036 Posts
hmm, i like it. how's all plastic holding up? i don't think i've seen a heli with so much plastic..good thing maybe?
Flying Pitcher is online now Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old Feb 27, 2014, 06:07 AM
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Aug 2011
1,103 Posts
Logo helis have a lot of plastic... gaui as well. Good plastics can be better than carbon or metal depending on the application. Flexes without snapping or bending. (Within reason of course )
Old Feb 27, 2014, 08:12 AM
Flying a recreational vehicle!
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
2,036 Posts
heh. wow. ok. this is sorta getting tempting. maybe 700 was over my head. 550 seems more like it. hmm. are parts available at hobby shops? how do prices on parts compare to others...?
Flying Pitcher is online now Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old Mar 01, 2014, 12:12 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,403 Posts
Quote:
New version!!! Comes with GT5.2 fbl gyro! I've built my e620 so I can't afford (and don't really need) the 550 FBL, but it's great to know that parts will be around for awhile.

$650 for the complete combo, good deal. I'd take this over an align 550 combo and save a couple hundred bucks at the same time...

http://www.ttamerica.com/helis/ttre0...fbl/index.html

That's easily the best deal on a 550 super combo beating out the X5 microbeast combo by $250.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Mar 01, 2014, 01:12 AM
Super Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
1,934 Posts
The 550 FBL combo is really..really tempting with the $100 Tower code...
TT is on top of the value game for sure. It's only a matter of time for someone to make alternative canopy options for this model.
TheKingPhisher is offline Find More Posts by TheKingPhisher
Old Mar 02, 2014, 06:44 AM
Joined Feb 2014
10 Posts
Flight Number 3 from mine yesterday using s-bus and Optipower 5000mah 50c
Raptor E550 FBL ARF (3 min 28 sec)
George Ryan is offline Find More Posts by George Ryan