HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:59 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREG A View Post
I seem to get about a dozen cycles out of my lipo packs, be it a 160mah 1s or my 3300 mah 3s 25c gens ace. Hot weather seems to take its toll with puffing. I try not to over discharge but they get real warm in 85+ degree weather. I've never seen any instructions with the batteries concerning care and feeding of them. Have a triton2 eq balancing charger and charge per the chargers instructions. Really dissatisfied with high cost and short lifespan of batteries. Flying glow is about 3 times less expensive. Am i doing something wrong or do i have crummy equipment? Tried to buy good stuff.
I've never heard of lipos going bad this fast. I've had close to 100 cycles on most of my lipos (except for the ones i destroyed in crashes).

The only thing i can think of is either you are charging them up too fast, letting them discharge too much after each flight, or putting them in the microwave =)
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:03 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,042 Posts
He does a lot of continous climbing to get great camera shots. The size of the prop & amount of good air flow in & out of the battery is very critical. Hot battery on landing means severe overloads during climbs due to prop size or air flow over the battery.
cyclops2 is online now Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:45 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
He does a lot of continous climbing to get great camera shots. The size of the prop & amount of good air flow in & out of the battery is very critical. Hot battery on landing means severe overloads during climbs due to prop size or air flow over the battery.
Yeah i was just trying to be funny =)

The things i've noticed from my own premature battery failures:

- discharging too much
- keeping them stored at 100% charge for prolonged periods of time
- charging them too fast
- as reader above stated, discharging them too close to or higher than their C rate
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Nov 2012
3 Posts
Thats where i am lost. How do you determine how much they can be disgharged while flying. Ive been flying them 10-12 min, have my timer set for 12. Then recharging when i get home.the voltage after flight is 11.1v. Never knew they dont like being stored fully charged. Haven't seen anything in the poop sheets that come with batteries or my charger as to state of charge for storage. They are more concerned about fire. That concern makes me wonder why there are not longer charge and balance leads so you can put the batteries in a bucket of sand while charging.
GREG A is offline Find More Posts by GREG A
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:46 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,221 Posts
get a 6 dollar voltage buzzer and set it to the level you want. go fly and when it buzzes land. better than any timer because its true voltage depending on real time throttle results not just a number like your timer. i love it. i use timer just to see how much time i get before the buzzer as a reference. that way you can use any battery and always land with your battery exactly at the voltage you preset. best 6 dollars youll spend and great piece of mind as you fly. you will never be caught off gaurd again with lvc.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:56 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,042 Posts
Greg

List the plane, motor & prop & battery in each with the C of the battery. I can calculate the prop amps.

Can you post some photos of the battery in the battery locations ? age & rough # of flights of each battery in the plane.

We will find out why they die so young.
cyclops2 is online now Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:03 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREG A View Post
Thats where i am lost. How do you determine how much they can be disgharged while flying. Ive been flying them 10-12 min, have my timer set for 12. Then recharging when i get home.the voltage after flight is 11.1v. Never knew they dont like being stored fully charged. Haven't seen anything in the poop sheets that come with batteries or my charger as to state of charge for storage. They are more concerned about fire. That concern makes me wonder why there are not longer charge and balance leads so you can put the batteries in a bucket of sand while charging.
Well, if you're sticking to discharging them down to 11.1 or so (3.7v per cell) that's just fine, you're not hurting them, I believe that's the ideal storage voltage for lipos anyways (or really close).

The only other thing you want to make sure is you have a high enough 'C' rate on your batteries for your plane. You don't want it getting too warm while you're flying it, since that degrades it. Higher 'C' batteries will stay cool or only get lukewarm while flying. I can't remember the 'C' formula off hand but what i do is hook the battery up, throttle up the plane to what my maximum throttle is likely to be for about 2 minutes (simulating a longer climb), and feel the battery to see how warm it is. This is on the ground off course. If it gets hot, i pop in a higher 'C' battery. Poor man who hates math method anyways =)

I know when i first started i had some cheaper low 'c' batteries in my glider, and my first battery didn't last long at all because it kept overheating and puffed up real fast, after that it's capacity was severely degraded.

'c' of course is the discharge rate of the batter (ie. 25-30c, etc)

ever since i started buying higher c batteries i just haven't had an issue with them degrading
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:35 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
Well, if you're sticking to discharging them down to 11.1 or so (3.7v per cell) that's just fine, you're not hurting them, I believe that's the ideal storage voltage for lipos anyways (or really close).
11.1 (3.7 per cell) is the min you should end up with - that equates to about 20% of the capacity left. I shoot for a higher final voltage, that way if something goes wrong I have some margin to play with.

Storage voltage is 3.85 volts per cell, or 11.55 volts for a 3S.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:09 AM
United States, NC, Smithfield
Joined Jul 2012
277 Posts
2 minutes of max throttle on the ground with no air flowing over your components isn't a terribly good idea...
Brush Hog is online now Find More Posts by Brush Hog
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:18 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,548 Posts
Depends on the setup.

Some power system setups can be smoked if ran 15 seconds WOT static.as they are designed to be ran WOT in flight for not more than 3 seconds at a time. Some others are only ran for less than 10 seconds WOT , one run per charge. On the other had some can be ran WOT the whole 30 min. flight or static without warming up much above ambient temperature.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:14 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,246 Posts
So back to the original topic... has anyone found a 1s 160mah lipo that lasts? I never run to LVC and I keep them at storage charge but it seems they just don't last. Really tempted to try the ThunderPower ones. Even at 5x the cost of the cheap ones if they last they will be worth it. For some reason it seems most of the 1s out there don't last.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:57 AM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
http://www.hyperion-world.com/produc...325-0160-1S-UM

That or thunderpower. Both are two very good cell manufacturers. I used tiny Hyperions in my blade mQx - they lasted longer than the quad did.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:34 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetech09 View Post
http://www.hyperion-world.com/produc...325-0160-1S-UM

That or thunderpower. Both are two very good cell manufacturers. I used tiny Hyperions in my blade mQx - they lasted longer than the quad did.
I should be able to buy the Thunder Power locally for 10% off list price so I'll probably just go with those. Just debating if I should buy 2 or 4. With the 5C charge rating just having 2 would probably do me fine most of the time.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:46 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,548 Posts
From the Battery graph vault which is a well kept secret here even if it is a Sticky.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1643704

22S 180 nano cycled 50 times

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=12

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:29 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Casual flyer? No, not worth it.

I fly Turnigy packs alsmost exclusively, with some Rhino and Flightmax packs in there for 'variety' - pretty sure they're the same in reality.

I've had zero problems, except with a few Turnigy and Rhino packs that I flew to the absolute limit of their power output, regularly. These three or four packs are now exhibiting bad cells and have been taken apart and disposed of after a saltwater discharge.

If you're a competition flyer or want sustained high-amp draw then I think spending a bit more is justified.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk