SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:05 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
I guess you missed comment about weight in post #34.

Thunder Powers have been the leader in this respect since forever. You will need a ProPower45

If you pull 35A cont. from a 1700 mAh then flights are going to be just over two minutes.

Charles
Thanks Charles for everything lipos as I have followed your recomendations since 06.

Man thats almost 7 years now.
eckace1 is online now Find More Posts by eckace1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:45 PM
Pro Jet Pilot
Canada, NB
Joined Apr 2006
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
I didn't miss your point and I apologize if you thought I was attacking you as that was not my intention.

As for MaxAmps refusing to supply test data, here's one of many threads:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1323001
+1 I remember that thread. Someone in their marketing department was not very proficient with math, nor testing.
Cody f86saber is offline Find More Posts by Cody f86saber
Last edited by Cody f86saber; Nov 20, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:45 AM
Battery Puffer
Orange, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,020 Posts
The test was done with an eagle tree system. I know what you mean about different capacities testing differently Charles.You say youv'e had TP packs that didn't perform well but all you ever post is the best test you got which doesn't always tell the best picture.TP was very good to me and there packs worked great when they were new. But I am very hard on them in the world of boat racing and they never seemed to last very long. I am still running the first packs I got back in November of last year and they are still performing to my high standards and zero puffing. My packs are around 40% cheaper for the same level or better quality and that is what I like about them. I too apreciate all the testing youv'e done over the years. It always confirmed for me that I was using the best packs when I was racing with TP.

Mark
MarkF is offline Find More Posts by MarkF
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:16 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
The test was done with an eagle tree system.

Mark
What were you using for the constant current load?
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:24 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
Quote:
You say youv'e had TP packs that didn't perform well but all you ever post is the best test you got which doesn't always tell the best picture
I posted

Quote:
I purchased two TP 25C 1S 240 for one of my micros and one was below par and the other one sucked big time yet most in the micro threads rave about how great they are.

I purchased those from rclipos,.com and I am fairly sure TP would have replaced them but honestly I did not bother. Out of all of the TPs LiPolys I have used during the past 7 plus years those were the only lemons which is not something I can say about many brands.

I really do not appreciate being accused of cherry picking test to post. If I was dishonest enough ti do that then I would be dishonest enought to make some look great and others look like How many here realize that a discharge test is only as valiade as the person conducting the test and the accuracy of their equipment and the honesty of their settings ? I declined testing your Lipolys for a fairly long tiime and only agreed to test them after many request from you. Why was I reluctant ,because I get tired of vendors complaining about lack luster results of their latest and greatest offerings.,

FYI TP in question are in the BGV last graph in this post. Note I did not have seperate threads / links to my various micro class LiPoly test.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...20&postcount=1
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Nov 21, 2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:43 PM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,428 Posts
Sound like the typical vendor trying to argue his LiPo’s good and cannot accept that everybody else does not think his is the best as he thinks. Then he always start the accusing act on those who does not fully agree with him.

Fact is that today there are more good brands of LiPo available than some years back as most of them come from the same major cell manufacturers and are not exclusive. Like this “dingo” it is all just a labeling and marketing act. Do you really think the Battery Co. with “approximately 1000 employees” and “with production of 200,000 pcs/day” will manufacture batteries just for one little vendor? “These are a brand new battery from a company that only makes these packs.” Do you sell “200,000 pcs/day “? Do you really think LiPo users are so ignorant as not to know how this market is working? It is an insult if you do and it looks like you do, the same as with your “engineer thing”. Obviously this and many other LiPo batteries are made up from the same cells and whatever your brand name is, it is the same as rebranding anything. I don’t say your batteries are bad, just don’t take us for fools. And don’t try and attack Charles if you don’t have your facts in order.
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:35 AM
Battery Puffer
Joined Nov 2001
1,020 Posts
Rebel, you have no clue about me or my beliefs. Your attacks on me are out of line and just plain offensive.

Mark
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:48 AM
Battery Puffer
Joined Nov 2001
1,020 Posts
Charles, I asked you one time if you would like to test these battaries. You responded with you would and said I had to send you 3 packs and not get bent out of shape if it takes you more than a couple of days to test them. My next email was asking you for your address. I then waited for weeks untill your response. There was no bugging and I don't apreciate you tring to lump me in with others who may have. I also have the emails to back this up. Your attacks are not welcomed either and I did apologize to you for any that I may have done to you. I am done with this thread and the graphs I posted speak for themselfs.

Mark
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:10 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,075 Posts
When a bad run of batteries is made & shipped out the door........................................

Paying more or less will not make any difference.

When the assembly lines are running as designed. Buy the cheapest.
cyclops2 is online now Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:23 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,962 Posts
I disagree. Paying more for quality from a good dealer can make a world of difference if the vendor has a good return policy. Case in point - I have returned 5 lipolys that were not up to expectation for either replacement or a full refund. Try that with cheap lipolys.

Also, my some of my cheaper lipolys did not last even 1/3 the number of cycles of my Hyperions, making Hyperion far cheaper on a cost-per-flight basis. And, the Hyperions are still going strong after over 3 years so it's getting even better.

The notion that 'all lipolys are the same' could not be more false in my experience.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:38 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
I disagree. Paying more for quality from a good dealer can make a world of difference if the vendor has a good return policy. Case in point - I have returned 5 lipolys that were not up to expectation for either replacement or a full refund. Try that with cheap lipolys.
I'm really not sure how this supports your position. To date, all my cheap lipos have been up to my expectation and I've never had a reason to send any back. The fact that you have returned batteries that didn't perform as expected is only adds to the evidence that expensive lipos are not necessarily better lipos.

Quote:
Also, my some of my cheaper lipolys did not last even 1/3 the number of cycles of my Hyperions, making Hyperion far cheaper on a cost-per-flight basis. And, the Hyperions are still going strong after over 3 years so it's getting even better.
Admittedly, I don't know how it works for the 'big' packs. The world may operate differently once you get past a certain capacity.

But in the 1S micro world, many of the micro helis now 'require' higher C batteries. Just this year E-Flite introduced a new 150mAh 25C at less than half the cost of 120mAh 12C batteries they were selling last year. The new micro helis won't even fly on the old 12C batteries as many have learned the hard way. If I had stocked up on Hyperions 3 years ago, I'd be sitting on a pile of batteries I can't even use now regardless of how well they 'still' perform today.

There are good batteries, and there are better batteries, and the cost has to be balanced against the battery's total 'useful' life.

The notion that paying significantly more for a battery saves you money in the long run could not be more false in my experience.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:39 PM
WATTSUP.SE
Sweden
Joined Dec 2001
2,307 Posts
Quote:

The notion that 'all lipolys are the same' could not be more false in my experience.

Mark
I hear ya

That all LiPos are the same and all the cells come from one great source, are one of the many internet legends and myths. There are many fairy tales when it comes to batteries, there are to many "Mr know it all" online, that write and make up things and reccomendations without any real experience or facts to back it up!
Jocke is offline Find More Posts by Jocke
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:41 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,356 Posts
I would be more inclined to try Thunder Power if they would drop their proprietary balance connector and go with the more common JST-XH. The dual connectors on a 6s is a big turnoff.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:49 PM
WATTSUP.SE
Sweden
Joined Dec 2001
2,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
I would be more inclined to try Thunder Power if they would drop their proprietary balance connector and go with the more common JST-XH.
Just use an adapter, simple as that

You will later realize that the higher quality TP style connector will not fail so easily and make the charger go "connection brake" it won't glitch and it will save space and weight.

Fact is the simple XH connector are cheap and less expensive to install on the batteries, but in no way better when it comes to quality and function.

Customers demand very low prices, so thats why we end up with horror examples of batteries from HC and others, that is built in the cheapest, sloppiest, fastest and most cost effective way.
Jocke is offline Find More Posts by Jocke
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:11 PM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,428 Posts
Mark, you made it very clear as what you believe. I did not attack you, I merely pointed out that you made statements which are contradicted by a copy-and-paste by yourself from the company you buy your cells / batteries from. Read back on your own posts and think if you would trust a person who is jumping back and forth with what he is saying like you did in this thread.

Some years ago I contacted the Battery Co. for some information and they were eager to sell me large quantities of LiPo at very low prices, also offering to supply it with my own label design and ready to sell as they do with many others, label engineering at its best. Since I am not a vendor and did not want to spend thousands trying to become a vendor in a market like this I did not take the offer.
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell