HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:06 AM
Snappy Title On Backorder....
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jun 2011
1,065 Posts
Aeroken makes a good point for sure. For me knowing that I've spent the extra coin on higher end packs makes me more inclined to properly take care of them. They get charged at the field and as soon as I get home they get storage charged.
tsymonds is offline Find More Posts by tsymonds
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:10 PM
Passion
Joined Sep 2009
326 Posts
See my post here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1771303

A club member bought some Thunder Power 3s and 2 out of the 3 he bought failed within 5 months. His older Nano Tech's receiving the same treatment is still going strong.
Swen is offline Find More Posts by Swen
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:12 PM
Battery Puffer
Orange, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,092 Posts
If you would like to try some 65c rated packs 5s 5000 for $120. a piece then I suggest the dinogy brand lipos at dinogylipos.com I am a realtively new company only one year now but I am still racing the packs I first got back in November of last year. No batteries have lasted me this long and I was a sponsored racer of thunderpower for over 4 years. An aiplane racer just tested my 10s 1800 packs in his F5B airplane and said they help a full volt over his Hyperians. I give a 6 month warranty and take care of any problems my self.

Mark
MarkF is offline Find More Posts by MarkF
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:50 PM
Passion
Joined Sep 2009
326 Posts
What is that? Re-branded Turnigy's? I see a lot of those.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:43 PM
Battery Puffer
Joined Nov 2001
1,092 Posts
Nope, these are not rebranded anything. These are a brand new battery from a company that only makes these packs.

Mark
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:18 AM
Passion
Joined Sep 2009
326 Posts
I still want to see the company who makes only one brand of LiPo for the RC market. The "brandnames" buy the cells, sort it (sometimes) assemble it and label it. Many of the lesser brands just buy the ready assembled packs with their request of heat shrink on it and label it. No secret about that. They will always say it is specially made by them or for them, but sales talk and truth is never the same thing.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:05 AM
Battery Puffer
Joined Nov 2001
1,092 Posts
The company that makes my packs are the manufactor of the dinogy brand.I buy my packs direct from the factory. I wasn't crazy about the name either but it comes from a picture of a dinosor on the pack. This company has an engineer from Hyperian, Thunderpower and Turnigy working for them now. This knowledge combined is why they are so good. Check the A high performance lipo tool thread. I sent a battery to Mark Forsyth to test and he said these were the best packs he's ever tested so far. The factories that make lipos don't care to sell to the public and prefer to have dealers except for a couple of small company's that are trying to get into the business. But most of them end up going broke because they try to under sell everybody.

Mark
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:56 AM
Passion
Joined Sep 2009
326 Posts
Quote:
an engineer from Hyperian, Thunderpower and Turnigy
For those who know this shows how little you know. Do you really think any of them manufacture their own cells?

Factory? or "assembly room" ?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:21 AM
Battery Puffer
Joined Nov 2001
1,092 Posts
Do you know what an engineer does? In case you don't, they are the ones who come up with the formulas that lipos are made of. I buy my cells from the manufactor. Please do not tell me otherwise because you are in no position to do so. My cells come direct from the factory that makes them. You can choose to believe what you want but please do not insult me with gossip.
Here is a quote taking from the companys web site just to further let you know I know what I'm talking about.

__ Battery Co. , LTD is one of the major suppliers of rechargeable batteries in China. As an environmental - friendly company, we specialize in manufactoring a series of excellent quality batteries including high temperature NI-CD, RC model batteries and power LiFePO4. We currently have approximately 1000 employees, over 120 R&D and quality control staff, and cover an area of over 30.000 square meters with production of 200,000 pcs/day.
There's more but I will leave it at that.

Mark Ferreira
dinogylipos.com

Mark
Last edited by MarkF; Nov 17, 2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:47 AM
Passion
Joined Sep 2009
326 Posts
Looking back in this thread, did you see what Charles said in post # 4?

You say Hyperion Engineer! It is known, even said by Hyperion themselves, that they never manufactured any cells by themself end they don’t have an “engineer” designing the cells, they buy top class cells and assemble it, so where does your “Hyperion engineer” come from? Do you know where TP get their cells from? The rest is marketing talk. Hyperion even market their own motors and talk of their motors, but they never manufactured a motor on the market themselves. Asking questions like “Do you know what an engineer does?” is an attempt to insult, be careful it does not reflect back to you. I recommend you back-off before doing too much damage to yourself.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:55 AM
Battery Puffer
Joined Nov 2001
1,092 Posts
The engineers come from the companys that made the products in question. I hope that clears things up a bit. TP gets there cells from fullymax by the way. And sorry I don't mean to be sarcastic but I fealt you were atacking me.

Mark
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:16 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,230 Posts
I've been at this game now for some time
I've spent countless dollars on lipos over the years and tried about all the brands out there.

Across the board lipos have gotten better over the years, but performance and amp draw have gone up too on our planes as we keep pushing for more power.

So do top dollar packs matter? it really depends on what you fly.... if you are flying a foamie or small 40 sized plane up to 50 amps I don't think it really matters. Some hobby king, gen ace packs will do you find

But once you are flying giant scale or large EDF jets like I fly that pull upwards to 130 + amps or have a plane pulling high amps it really makes a huge differance having good packs that can take that power level. Thunder Power and Hyperion are the only packs I've found that have been happy at this level and have given me many many great flights.

But the bigger issue for me has been charging. Most of my planes run on 12s 5000 mah or 12s 6500 mah useing two 6s packs in series. I charge two to four 6s a packs at once on my power lab 8 at a 2c charge. I get them all done in 25 to 30 minutes. The cheap packs won't stay in good balance and end up going into safety charge mode and taking way to long at the field to charge.....
Three differenet sets ranging from 4s to 6s 40c turnigy packs have done this to me.... poor balance after the flights results in a long charge time to get the cells in balance.

Now my Thunder power 65c and hyperion 35c stay in perfect balance and have no problem with a faster charge rate... in fact at this point my packs cool on the charger. I average 10 to 12 flights every weekend and in california we fly almost year round.

With all that said I have very old zippy packs 3s 25c 2200 mah pack that fly at very low amps.... they have lasted so well in foamies and have been a great buy.

I'm going to try a set of 6s 25c 8000mah nano techs in a large jet that pulls 132 amps. Because they are light and cheap..... I'm not sure how well they are going to do. But this is an experiment to use high mah low c rate packs to save weight and gain flight time. They are only $100 compared to $320 for the TP's

As said before it also really matter how you take care of your packs... I never fly below 3.7 volts per cell , never store fully charged and watch how long I'm at full throttle. You have to use good power managment to save your packs, ESC and motor.
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:29 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Quote:
Check the A high performance lipo tool thread. I sent a battery to Mark Forsyth to test and he said these were the best packs he's ever tested so far.
I assume that was based soley on cell IRs and I did not look to see what size he tested.

The 3S 2250s which were sent to me for testing while not bad were certainly not the best LiPolys I have ever tested. I will say that I am using two of them flying my 450 helis and with 17 flights on one and 18 on the other at an average dischage rate of 18 amps.( 1500 mAh in 5 min) they stay nice and cool and are in the 11.1 and 11.4V range after such flights..

Thunder Power cells source posted above is incorrect unless they have changed suppliers in the past couple of years. As I have posted in other threads CW has stopped answering my email , no big deal.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Nov 17, 2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:49 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,169 Posts
It was a 3S 2250 and I did indeed perform discharge tests with my CBA and the Dinogy were better than Hyperion CX, Gens Ace 25C, and Billowy 50C. Discharge tests were 100% consistent with IR measurements. After 14 discharges, all cells are between 3.5 and 4.0 mOhms at 73 deg F.

Whether the Dinogy can withstand the test of time remains to be answered. If they last anywhere near as long as my Hyperion CX (~240 discharges and over 3 years old) and still perform well, they will be a winner.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:59 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Original TP test thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1272169

post #6 has the TP and billowy both at 80A

Sorry about misspelling dinogy on the CBA test.

FYI : The TP PP 65 was tested right at two years before the dinogy 65C. I will leave it up to each to decide if that is any indication of LiPoly development time frame wise.
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Nov 18, 2012 at 07:13 AM.