HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:21 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,436 Posts
Packs connected in series will each deliver exactly the same amps, so the smallest/weakest pack will expire first. But nothing wrong with using series packs provided they're the same spec, brand, history, etc. and you don't take them down to lvc.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:19 AM
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
The pricing will vary by dealer and the quality has no existing standards. Best luck has been Turnigy from Hobby King, worst from a highly advertised maker of RTF packages. Until a recognised standard exists experience rules. When home video machines came out there were 3 unregistered video cabling standards. Japan was trying to create a market so the engineers there created the 1 volt across 75 ohm and then made it their standard. Todays video standard is EIAJ, Electronics Industry Association of Japan. Our elected and appointed officials have a long history of losing the work of today in endless meeting schedules thus a much used standard born in the USA is not registered here!
GPruett is offline Find More Posts by GPruett
Old Apr 02, 2013, 10:46 PM
Joined Nov 2012
5 Posts
Can anyone give actual , factual information on battery manufactures ? As I'm tired of hearing "I think" and "I herd" that there are 4,6 ect manufactures. Our hobby is on the lower end of battery use and development. Believe it or not batteries are not developed for RC use. Mainly for military and portable electronics. Then we get the trickle down effect. Now the marketing of lipos has just gotten out of control. For smaller packs and sport it's not too much of a decision-go with the cheep ones. For competition and high demand is what I'm talking about. The simple laws of physics and electrical theory don't allow 390 amps to pass through a 10 gauge high strand wire for that length of time. And the resistance will melt the casting or solder in a very short time. (Using a 6amp 65c sustained discharge rated battery ). So before I spend more money on overly exaggerated discharges can someone give me the simplest of answers in the battery food chain. Example, hyperion battery , open it up and it says made in china, hobby king batts, well that's obvious, made in china. And yes I agree the worlds major manufactures of lipo cells are overseas, so can someone trace the bread crumbs and give us the skinny? I'm in need of updating my inventory ($2000+) of batteries and might be switching. Like if I were to buy hyperion and find out they are the exact same as turnigys a-spec just rebranded then I would buy the lesser expensive. Sorry to sound stern but the different claims from ever brand has just gotten out of control and its irritating and costly. Nobody really wants buy pay $20 for 10 pounds of $2 $@it stuffed into a one pound bag
Cooperford is offline Find More Posts by Cooperford
Old Apr 02, 2013, 10:49 PM
Joined Nov 2012
5 Posts
Oh and I'm in need of high discharge, I'm running saw boats. They are the most demanding on batteries. More so than heavy 3d.
Cooperford is offline Find More Posts by Cooperford
Old Apr 03, 2013, 01:32 AM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,416 Posts
You ask for information that is not available to the general public. Vendors will not tell you where they got their super cells from and like yourself, most other people outside of that industry does not know.

If the ultimate battery existed, then everybody would buy it. If you find it, let us know. Some believe it is better to pay more to get the better brand name battery with better quality control and service, other think it is better to pay less as that extra bit of performance is not worth all the extra money.

You say “overseas”, overseas from where, as this is an internationally used forum?

Yes, batteries are not initially developed for RC, but the LiPo batteries we use are adopted and further developed and manufactured in size and shape for RC use. RC is a significant market for high discharge rate batteries. Power tools, electric vehicles electronics etc. does not require a battery to be able to be discharged in 8 minutes and its users will not be happy if that is the only time they get.
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
Last edited by rebell; Apr 03, 2013 at 12:48 PM.