SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:10 PM
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Jun 2012
70 Posts
Question
Are High Cost Lipo Batteries Worth It?

I need 5S 5000mAh high C Lipo batteries and wanted to know if any of the high dollar cost > $190 batteries are worth buying? How do these high cost batteries compare to the lower cost HobbyKing Nano-Tech or other low cost brands?
notime_3001 is offline Find More Posts by notime_3001
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:30 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
I don't care who's high dollar batteries you buy you can't beat Gens Ace.
I really think they are the best bang for the buck.

They can last at least as long as the expensive packs but if they only last half as long, you can spend 3 time as much for the high dollar packs.
I would rather spend twice for the same life that 3 times the cost will buy.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:40 PM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
IMO, no. I've had pretty good luck with all the turnigy batteries. Can't say that about the TP one I bought at 5x the cost.
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:17 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,723 Posts
Most know that all LiPolys are in fact made in the same plant using the same componets and such however the only two brands I have ever had last over 300 flights are Thunder Power and Hyperion.

HH Nanotec 45C 3S2250 51 flights ,slightly puffed and fading. GensAce 25C 3S 2200 165 flights still firm (hard) but fading. Thunder Power Pro Power 45C 3S 2250 328 flights still firm(hard) and going strong.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Nov 16, 2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:04 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,519 Posts
I've got a couple of models where I want maximum flight time for a certain weight and size, and TP Prolites were the ones I found that gave me most mAh per weight and volume.

My LiPo experience is limited, but thus far I've got a TP Prolite and an Align battery, both 6S 2600mAh, both still going strong after four years and 100 flights. This year I've bought four Gens Aces, same size and capacity, after reading about them here. I'll compare in four years' time
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:43 AM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,201 Posts
A different angle to consider it from... It's just as easy to kill an expensive lipo with poor practices like leaving it fully charged, over discharging it, etc. if you're not going to be nice to your lipos, don't waste money on the expensive ones.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:15 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,909 Posts
There's a definite trend at the flying field I frequent, especially among the afternoon flyers who tend to be more budget conscious: There's always some new inexpensive battery pack which they all claim is as good as or better than the premium (read: expensive) brands. I can't remember all the names but Rhino, Zippy, and NanoTech are three which have been THE brand for awhile but have fallen out of favor. The latest shining star seems to be Gens Ace but there's recently been some grumbling about them too.

Me? I'm still flying my Thunder Power packs, and in many cases they're the same packs I've been flying while all those budget packs have had their heyday. I'll add that not only do my TP packs last longer, but the planes I power them with typically fly better because TP packs weigh significantly less than similarly-rated budget packs.

AeroKen nailed it, though: If you abuse packs they aren't going to last, and that holds true for the budget and premium brands alike.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:26 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,722 Posts
It's all a matter of preference. My preference is Hyperion. That's all I buy and there is a noticable difference in power between the same size/type/discharge of a Hyperion vs. a cheap battery.

Case in point: A bunch of guys and I bought the 35" Popwings to have a little full-contact combat fun. Ordered the GensAce 3s 1300 mAh batteries to go with them. We ordered 9 of everything. All batteries were OK except for one... it was visibly puffed. Since I was the one that ordered the equipment, I would deal with the puffed battery. I contacted the reseller and they promptly shipped me another one. Guess what? That one was puffed too. I had a sneaking suspicion that the 2nd one might be problematic so I ordered a 3s 1300 mAh Hyperion battery at the same time the reseller shipped me the 2nd GensAce. And, you guessed it, the Hyperion arrived in perfect condition.

Moral of the story: I should have followed my own rule and NOT order those cheap batteries. Never again, especially from GensAce.

Again, it's all about preference. Me, I care too much about my models to use cheap packs.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:30 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Yes, more expensive batteries are worth it.

I've used Rhinos 2260 mAh 3S packs in my PZ 109, as well as Turnigy Nano's 2200 mAh 3S packs. The nanos have way more punch to them. This is just going on the lower end of things.

I've also got some Gens Ace 800 mAh 3S packs that are rated for charging at 5C.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:51 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,616 Posts
I have used high dollar packs in the past but I found that the failure rate and unbalance rate (mismatched cells in a pack) is not much better than the low cost packs. I have since given up on the expensive packs. The low cost packs have improved so they are just about as good as the expensive ones. Every bunch I get seams to be batter than the previous – they just keep getting batter and better. I only buy Turnigy and Gens Ace packs these days.

I fly large helicopters so i use lots of 5s and 6s 5000 packs.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:05 AM
Snappy Title On Backorder....
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jun 2011
1,059 Posts
Every battery I have is Thunder Power. 5000mah 3s G6 45c for all my big stuff, 2250 3s G6 65c for my smaller stuff and all my RX packs are 2s with BECs. Pricey yes but all packs are on their second or third season with no issues. My stuff has been highly reliable for a long time now and if it ain't broke don't fix it. I won't trust my scratch builds to any questionable equipment. I figure if its worth it to me to spend 6 months building a plane it's worth it to me to equip it with good components. My .02 worth.
tsymonds is offline Find More Posts by tsymonds
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:20 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
A different angle to consider it from... It's just as easy to kill an expensive lipo with poor practices like leaving it fully charged, over discharging it, etc. if you're not going to be nice to your lipos, don't waste money on the expensive ones.
+1. The best point made so far I think. I've done plenty of debating as well, it's hard to bring yourself to pay 2x-3x more though without any guarantee that it will last longer.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:34 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
My thoughts exactly... If I don't fly all my batteries one day, but I know I'll be flying in the next few days, I don't bother putting the fully charged batteries back in storage mode. I would not do that with an expensive battery for sure.
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:51 AM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by notime_3001 View Post
I need 5S 5000mAh high C Lipo batteries and wanted to know if any of the high dollar cost > $190 batteries are worth buying? How do these high cost batteries compare to the lower cost HobbyKing Nano-Tech or other low cost brands?
the big question is what amps your going to draw and watts if your under say 50 amps and 1000 watts on 6s any battery should work for a while it is when you push them that the money part pays off
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fun with a parkzone
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:02 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,325 Posts
I've been running and abusing Steve Neu's NeuEnergy batteries for years and they have held up remarkably well. We're talking edf and RiteWing use...not parkflyers either. I've got packs that are >4 years old still going strong.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood