HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Nov 2012
5 Posts
Discussion
Need help with SLOW motor setup

Hi,

I'm not particularly well-versed in RC setups, which brings me here for a little advice.

I am gutting an RC helicopter for a project. I need to lower the rotor speed significantly, among other things. The stock motor is a 440 size; can diameter of 28mm and height of 35 mm. I'd like any replacement motor to be close to that.

I need to lower the overall rotation speed to 100 RPM's or less. The gearing is around 10:1, so a motor output of 1000 RPM's or less is what I'm looking for.
What kind of brushless motor setup should I start looking into?

Thanks.
tcleck is offline Find More Posts by tcleck
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:33 PM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,850 Posts
What kind of power will you be needing? The power requirement will determine how much current you will need at a given voltage, which may set a minimum voltage. That voltage will determine the kV of the motor. For example, if a 1 cell LiPo (3.7V) will provide the necessary power, then a 270kV motor will provide the rpm you're looking for. If you need 100W, finding a 1 cell LiPo that will provide 27 amps or more may be a problem, though. Going to 2 cell will give you a greater selection of batteries, but then you'd need a 135kV motor.
Wintr is online now Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:47 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,206 Posts
I'd see whether you can alter the gearing or go with a belt drive.. but as Wintr says.. knowing how much power you need is vital.

There are plenty of 2835 brushless motors but few are lower than ~1800Kv.. so on 3s you'd have close to 15,000rpm... getting that down to 100rpm is a serious engineering problem.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Nov 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintr View Post
What kind of power will you be needing? The power requirement will determine how much current you will need at a given voltage, which may set a minimum voltage. That voltage will determine the kV of the motor. For example, if a 1 cell LiPo (3.7V) will provide the necessary power, then a 270kV motor will provide the rpm you're looking for. If you need 100W, finding a 1 cell LiPo that will provide 27 amps or more may be a problem, though. Going to 2 cell will give you a greater selection of batteries, but then you'd need a 135kV motor.
I don't know how much power I'll need, but providing the amperage for any given voltage should not be a problem because this thing does not need to move anywhere; the rotor only has to spin. Worse comes to worse I'll make a power supply or wire a couple of 3.7's in parallel.

I'd appreciate it if you could link me any motors with kv ratings that low; I've had trouble finding much below about 750 kv. I'm trying to get away with as little gearing as possible because lubricants and plastics typically don't fare well in a vacuum chamber.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:31 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,500 Posts
For cryin' out loud. Tell us what you are trying to do and we might be able to help a bit better.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Nov 2012
5 Posts
Fair enough.

I'm working with a group on a heliogyro spacecraft project. I'm going to skip past the explanation and say that it looks like the rotor on a helicopter, but the blades are much longer, thinner, and more flexible.

We're trying to get data for modeling in a vacuum chamber, which is where the helicopter comes in. It's got most of the hardware we need; it just spins too fast. When we finish, the whole thing will be stationary in the middle of the chamber receiving external power/control while the rotor+about .25 kg extra spins at 100 RPM or less. I'm trying to find a way to get there, preferably with minimum gearing, which is starting to look like a pipe dream.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:47 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,072 Posts
How about a metal worm drive lubed with graphite?
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Nov 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
That's practical. That's about a 150:1 gear ratio, which puts the motor specs to something a little more reasonable. Then all I have to do is mount it.

Thank you!
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:02 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
Lossy. I'd go with a humongous ratio belt drive. Or even double reduction

And drop the volts to the motor if its for a test rig,.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:10 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1 View Post
Lossy. I'd go with a humongous ratio belt drive. Or even double reduction
Belts are no good, the allowable ratio is no better than gears. Double reduction is the only way you are going to get good efficiency If the efficiency is not so critical a worm gear would work well, just make sure there is a owb between the blades and the worm gear, or you may find that when you stop the motor the rotor inertia destroys your gears.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:44 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
Belts are no good, the allowable ratio is no better than gears. Double reduction is the only way you are going to get good efficiency If the efficiency is not so critical a worm gear would work well, just make sure there is a owb between the blades and the worm gear, or you may find that when you stop the motor the rotor inertia destroys your gears.
Not quite true.

If the belt is constrained by idler gears or the motor is a long way from the output shaft any ratio is possible.. Its all about having enough belt on the smaller pulley.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:27 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,542 Posts
How firmly are you locked into your motor size requirement? If you mounted a deep-ratio planetary gearbox to a low-Kv outrunner, you could probably get the shaft RPMs down pretty low to start with and then gear it even more with the heli's stock gearing. The only tricky part might be finding a pinion to fit the gearbox, as most on the market are made for directly driving a prop which results in a pretty large shaft diameter.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Nov 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
How firmly are you locked into your motor size requirement? If you mounted a deep-ratio planetary gearbox to a low-Kv outrunner, you could probably get the shaft RPMs down pretty low to start with and then gear it even more with the heli's stock gearing. The only tricky part might be finding a pinion to fit the gearbox, as most on the market are made for directly driving a prop which results in a pretty large shaft diameter.
It looks like I'll be making my own mounting however I do it, so motor size isn't much of a constraint anymore.