HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:04 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Build Log
Micro Scorpion w/ Custom Intakes

The Aviation Design Scorpion has always been my favorite sport jet..
Its long smooth lines just appeal to me...Its not considered a speed airframe but more of a trainer as the AD model has a really thick airfoil to help tame the stall for the newer jet flier....The lines on this jet are just beautiful to my senses....Ive built a couple of 70mm Scorps and they are the best flier I have had the pleasure of flying.
They stall straight ahead and have a huge lifting surface...
Some of the big AD jets are capable of 200+mph (turbine)and just groove...

My early glide test were great and I expect this one to be a winner built in micro form...Im working on getting the elevator linkages figured out and then finish up the intake duct..
Im using a 40 in this one and have removed the intake lip from the case so it will except the intake duct..The hub from the rotor sticks out quite a bit so I had to build an adapter of sorts to connect the intake to the fan without the hub causing me headaches..Ill post pics of all this as it makes things easier to understand...
I will also be able to finish the custom duct thread as it is based on this duct build...

Any questions please ask and i will do my best to answer..
Im also working on a new 40 mm Frankenfan for a new jet you gus might get a kick out of and ill post some pics of the start of the fan build sometime soon...
Take care all.................Chris
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:11 AM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Where I am now...
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:17 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,886 Posts
Looking good. I love the Viper too.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:34 PM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,462 Posts
Looking good HOD! The construction looks to be the same method used on your viper. How did that model workout?
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:08 AM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Elevator update..
I was able to figure out a good route to get the elevator linkages to a servo..i usually just mount them in the back flipping one upside down but there was not enough room to do so..Next time i will do what lee suggested and put one servo on another channel and slave it to the other servo..so that i can mount both standing upright (like an elevon setup)but working as a pure elevator...
Im trying 2 new products for building,not new to the industry but first time for me trying them..one is the micro hinges from dubro and the other is the micro carbon fiber control horns.....
The main thing left now is to do the intakes...Hotwie them sand to final shape and glass em'....

Lee,
Thanks for stopping in..I think you meant the scorp
Your comments and ideas are always appreciated...You might like my little Frankenstein 40mm fan im puttin' together..I pulled the motor tube and stators from a 60mm fan and mounting it in a 40mm case so it will except a stronger powerplant...the tube and motor to be used are the same diameter as the outrunner used in the stock 40 so i should be able to get the air out with no issues...I may cut a 50mm rotor to 40 to get a little more aggressive pitch to take advantage of the increased power output...These beefy new rotors are begging for some rpms lol...
It might work out or might not,its just an experiment right now....

Pdawg,
Ive only flown the viper once due to winds being up each time ive been able to fly...It does fly great though and i cant wait to get it out and take advantage of 3 cells...
I think its going to really groove on 3....
Thanks for stopping in!comments always appreciated....

A few update pics.......
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Ok,
Time for a little update...
I added some carbon to the horizontal tail surfaces to give strenth and stiffen the elevator..
I pretty much have the intake plugs ready for primer...maybe a little more cleaning up have at it..i used a regular servo lug to tie the 2elevator wires together at the servo so they work together and can be adjusted....
I plan to primer and paint the plugs tomorrow and probably glass the following day.
I should be able to wrap it up pretty quick once the intakes are finished..
A few pics to show progress..
The duct thread will have a pic of every single stage as i am documenting every step...
Take care fellas........Chris
I also wanted to mention the razor blade in the lower pics is used to carefully slice off the raised glue between the pieces that sometimes shows after sanding..i just slice it off and remud with spackle..works a charm....:-)
Last edited by Hover or die; Nov 19, 2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:34 AM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Plugs are ready for glass...
I also showed some pics of after the first primer layer and using the lightweight spackle to add a little girth to the radius and make it fit the fan adapter better by making the ends perfect half circles...the mud is added and then sanded back to my desired shape and then reprimed and painted...also any imperfections you would like to fix after the first prime is easy to do with a little spackle...
Im planning to glass after thanksgiving din din...
I think this duct will feed this 40 like a rabid dog!
With the power to weight of this setup I should pass 1 to 1 at around 2/3 throttle and probably be a fairly fast model for this airframe....
I may try a speed airframe next,,,ala F-5 type! Fully ducted and built for speed...tossing up ideas already lol.....

Happy Thanksgiving fellas!!!

Take care.............Chris
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Intakes..
My new technique leaves nothing sticking to the duct..5 minutes to pick out witha pocket knife....
Super easy! For mee-sy.....
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:08 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Cool stuff. Lots of confetti came out of those ducts. LOL! Nice and clean inside! I have done similar using the clear stretch wrap but waxing seems like it might be just as easy and I will have to give that a try! Thanks for sharing.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:31 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,886 Posts
Lookin good
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
And.......Wa-La.....
Im hoping it will be worth my effort.....
With this high output 40 im hoping it will be running at top effeciency being fed in this manner...
Im hoping to wrap it up over the next day or 3...
I guess trying to chop the ends of my fingers off yesterday with the prop jet isnt speeding things up too much lol!!Its amazing those little 6x4s will chop through your fingernail like butter at 60,000 rpm...I was very very lucky and promised myself it will be bungee'd from now on...I must be getting slower with age....

Freddie,
Thank you for stopping in!Im really enjoying your work as well friend...I was going to post up a link to the mirage documentary in your thread but wanted to ask first....There a doc on most of our favorite jets,,especially the fighter jets...

Lee,
Thanks for popping in...That is one fine little speedster youare putting together there!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:15 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hover or die View Post

I guess trying to chop the ends of my fingers off yesterday with the prop jet isnt speeding things up too much lol!!...........................

Freddie,
Thank you for stopping in!Im really enjoying your work as well friend...I was going to post up a link to the mirage documentary in your thread but wanted to ask first....There a doc on most of our favorite jets,,especially the fighter jets...
First looking very cool with the ducts going in, but second OUCH! Be careful. I think we all have hurt our fingers with a prop or two, but they can amputate quickly. End to a budding building carrier so stop that!

As far as threads go, I am one to believe that everyone owns the right and priviledge to post in threads, especially mine. We already have a great video donated by Hanzie, so why not some doc's. I am making this a shorter thread than normal because it is a short jet (LOL). So we need media!

And to close, thanks for the kind words my friend, we shall continue now to enjoy our builds and get some of these bids flying!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:10 AM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,462 Posts
HOD,
Nice looking ducting! Keep up the good work!
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:29 PM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Im finally ready to finish this thing up...
I decided to go the final step and add a rounded lip to my intake..I first tried it with foam but after getting it small it gets too fragile...So I decided to build it up with lightweight spackle and sand back down to the desired shape..If this didnt work I was going to use glaze or marglass to build it up and sand to shape..
It is imparitive to get rid of the sharp edge and get a rounded lip to allow a smooth flow into te duct...Same principle as the intake ring on the fan with no ducting....gotta have it to get top perfomance out of the system..(Thank you C/N)

I still have some fine touchup but it is pretty much at its shape and soon ready for some primer and a little paint (tomorrow)
And finish this thing up....
I also cut my 8 blade to 4.....
Get the amps down and rpm and efflux up!(thanks Nitro)
A few pics and Ill post up what the duct looks like tomorrow as well.....

Take care all.......................Chris
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:35 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,578 Posts
i like it! lookin good, and nice lips!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut