HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:24 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,243 Posts
Question
Vacuum forming

How do they get large sheets heated (like for a hull) before putting over the hull?
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:10 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,716 Posts
Commercial machines have a movable frame to hold the plastic sheet. Either slides or flips between two positions... position 1 is next to a heater array; flip to position 2 to let the frame seal the vacuum and pull the still-hot plastic over the mold.

Note that heavier plastic is actually easier to work-- it doesn't cool off so fast in the seconds it takes to run the process.

Here's a big home-makable unit... the heater appears to be in the top, and the frame moves up and down.

patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Last edited by patmat2350; Nov 15, 2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:28 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
I remember years ago, that a guy did some light vacforming with his oven and a vacuum cleaner. He made up a wood frame to hold the plastic.

There were drawings for a homemade vacformer available on the internet a while back, suitable for small parts.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:47 AM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,853 Posts
For small parts...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306908
ken_nj is offline Find More Posts by ken_nj
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:36 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
Might want to check out this guy, Shawn Thorsson.... Just a normal Navy reservist with on heck of a hobby and an even cooler garage workshop.

A lot of what he does is accomplished with VacUForm and molding.

There is a shot of part of his VacUForm set-up on his blog (here). I know its not boating, but there no shame in using tech from other areas to build boats.
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Nov 15, 2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:35 PM
some what irregular
Diamond Bar, California
Joined Feb 2004
1,026 Posts
When we first started vacuforming in orhtotics we used B17 oxygen tanks for the air reservoir and heated the plastic in a pizza oven. the plastic held between 2 metal frames and a wooden base with holes was set up above the oxygen tank. the mold sat on the wooden table and the plastic was flipped over {the frame was suspended in the oven so the plastic could sag} pulled down over the wooden base, flipped the lever and sucked out the air. AND that is when we found out that regrind plastic led to inconsistent plastic thickness oh did I mention that we made a video to share with the entire orthotic/prosthetic field and ehem... had a well built young lady kinda streaked the room the most popular training video ever in the field.

we also drape molded by putting the plastic on a metal plate with holes, sanded smooth and sprayed with a separator one person held the plate above the mold and the second layed the plastic on the mold, the plastic would go all the way around the mold and the plastic sealed to itself,

now back to your regularly scheduled posts....
dostacos is offline Find More Posts by dostacos
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:13 PM
Georgia
Joined Jan 2003
6 Posts
mine

Here is a link to mine from years ago. Click on the video to play. It is the above mentioned machine..Proto-Form

http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/fefor...ad.php?t=23151

Not sure what happened. There was a video there, but now it's gone????
Jr Branham is offline Find More Posts by Jr Branham
Last edited by Jr Branham; Nov 17, 2012 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Video gone
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:38 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,428 Posts
Mattel Vacuformer...

I got to try one for a while... it was heat heat heat heat heat,...
then flip and pump for your life! The "toy" uses a hand pump.

If doing small parts in light plastic, it's okay, but it wasn't big enough for 1/72 turrets.
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:47 PM
United States, OR, Tigard
Joined Aug 2011
17 Posts
Vacu-Forming...

I had my own thermal formers years ago. The sizes I had were
1'X1', 2'X2', and a 2'X4'. The only real issue I had was heating the material. On the 1 footer. I used 5-100 watt light bulbs. This arrangement worked okay, but wasn't very fast. I later purchased a 110volt counter top hot-plate. I set it up to be about 18 inches under the plastic. Other wise the shape of the coils was the heating pattern on the plastic. Couldn't figure out why that happened. Later I built a diffuser to slip in at the half way point. Took care of that problem.
The 2 footer I used 2 1500 watt space heaters, placed them about 18 inches below the material, installed a diffuser. And that worked right off the bat. Both of these machines I also had a lid to place over the top of the plastic to act as an insulator to retain the heat. The complete cycle from 'Clamping the plastic into the frame and removing a finished project was right at 2minutes. The 4 footer I had a heating element custom made for this machine. It operated on 220 volt. with a thermostat. But because the heating elements were above the plastic I did not use an insulator lid.
For vacuum, I used a vaccum vane pump with 25 gallon storage tank. I could pull about 20+ inches per cycle. I could get some pretty good detail. Sometimes if the plastic was to thin or to soft. I could pull a hole into the plastic. The thickest material I used was 1/8 inch. And I needed every inch of vacuum to pull that stuff!
WallaceConway is offline Find More Posts by WallaceConway
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:50 PM
United States, OR, Tigard
Joined Aug 2011
17 Posts
Vacuum forming...

On certain projects, I would also heat the molds to slow down the cooling on the material as it was being pulled. This would buy you a few moments extra for a more detailed part.
WallaceConway is offline Find More Posts by WallaceConway
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:50 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
Quick and pretty clean VacForming setup

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Nov 16, 2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Quick and pretty clean VacForming setup
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:55 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,243 Posts
Can't seem to get the video running.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:15 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,669 Posts
Hmmm sorry, works for me.... Here's the link to the YouTube page
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:09 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,243 Posts
That works. Thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:24 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,276 Posts
Years back I repaired some pneumatics on a industrial Vacuform machine. They had the plastic in frames like he showed in the video, but there were metal and quick clamp/release. The frames ran through a heater box almost like a pizza oven and when it was heated it was pushed by a pneumatic cylinder over the mold. It them was pulled down on the mold by another cylinder and the vacuum was turned on under it and air pressure applied to the top. The mold with the plastic and frame where then ejected from the machine and the operator placed another mold on the vacuum table and the cycle repeated. They had about 12 identical molds that they used. Someone had run into the machine with a forklift and twisted the frame, they had straitened the frame out but all the cylinders and limit and trip switches had to be aligned and set which was what I had to do. I would have loved to run some boat hull molds through the machine, but that was not allowed.
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel