HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:21 AM
Antibes (FR)
Joined Jan 2010
53 Posts
Discussion
Worst (bike) paintjobs ever

Hi,
I'm essentially done assembling my GPV-1 and after finishing the paintjob, i decided that it was time to open this thread

Pics are here below. OK, it was my first attempt at painting, but I put a lot of responsibility on the online shop where i've bought the paint:
  1. I live in France and to have the paint quickly I decided to buy in France: 3 weeks for the delivery. Fail. Hongkong would have been faster (and maybe even cheaper).
  2. Selecting the colors I said to myself; "Everything but these silly fluo colors you always see on rc cars". So I ordered black, metal blue and orange (non-fluo, KTM like).
  3. Of course the damn website has sent me a fluo orange and I didn't realize is until I pressed the nozzle. This means "too late".
  4. Well I said, it's gonna be fluo orange, no big big deal. But the fu%^ing fluo orange won't stick at all. I ended up painting 6 layers and the stuff was still looking bad. Exasperated by the whole thing I covered it all with the blue metal, for the great result you can see in the pics.
  5. In real life, the thing is much worse than what you see in the pics: the color is somewhere mid-way between the good old Skoda orange and a "post-chili-con-carne" green fecal matter (the 4 letters synonym is not allowed).
  6. However I'm extremely proud of the small areas painted in black and blue: no issue at all with them, they are so good I may want to buy another body set and give it another try, without the fu%^in' fluo orange, of course.

MaX.
HornetMaX is offline Find More Posts by HornetMaX
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:10 PM
United States, OH, West Unity
Joined Oct 2007
97 Posts
don't be so hard on yourself.
its got some potential, some stripes and decals and you'll be all set :]
poomwah is offline Find More Posts by poomwah
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:49 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,262 Posts
oh... don't worry... there are worse than that:

(This is my first attempt at a KP09... the fairings were Nitro Nev's).

Then... I did it again with my first SB-5! Only... worse!

Oh well... Thankfully I have a good friend who does my bike proper paintjobs!!!!

steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:54 PM
Antibes (FR)
Joined Jan 2010
53 Posts
No guys, really, you have to see it ... in the pics it looks almost fine but IRL ...

Well, guess it's the learning curve. On the bright side, if there's also a learning curve in actually driving this thing around, the body won't last long

MaX.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:26 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,734 Posts
I guess on the bright side, your bike will look like the fastest piece of poop out there. haha.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:26 PM
Vzzznnnn...
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined Oct 2010
220 Posts
OK, I'm the winner:

[url=https://picasaweb.google.com/104656736936976952947/VenomGPV1#5664422716694917538]

And these 2 photos are the best I could get without looking really bad hehehehe...

BUT it was my lesson. Never airbrush a lexan with Air Vallejo Acrylic paints. Oh, and never use paints that are too old (and opened). :-D
vegos is offline Find More Posts by vegos
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:13 PM
Antibes (FR)
Joined Jan 2010
53 Posts
2 fluo orange gpv-1 gone wrong ... I definitely see a pattern here ...

MaX.