HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:38 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,553 Posts
Quote:
and easier to set up than the CS10
But NOT with their adaptor......
You keep saying what is great but it, about not WHAT parts you really use....
(Which I bet is ONLY the rotor itself - and I have stated, is totally fine... the ONLY good part of the whole fan unit!).

So you have to buy a full set of rubbish, to get the one GOOD part - the rotor. Then find other parts to put that into!
AND even have to machine that part (Rotor) yourself too!
What a great/bargain fan unit that really turns out to be!

For no big benefit over a CS10 result anyway.... (better RPM and seemingly fractional sound)
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skyzone Goggles - Button Shield
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:39 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,719 Posts
Quality inrunners dont NEED heatsinks period. Flyers have been running HET/Mega/Neu motors for years in plastic wemo and HET fans without heatsinks, and they are still running strong, its only been very recently HET started supplying heatsinks in the boxes with the motors.

Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:42 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,719 Posts
The new collet adapters seem to be working ok for people, ran ok for me when I tried one, but as I have nice adapters on hand I dont need theirs.

I use their new spinner as its cheaper than my cost to machine a batch of 100+. No issue with their spinner, most times only needs correct positioning for final dynamic balance, occasionally needs a little weight inside, we are talking 10ths of a gram. As for performance, cant talk for others results but mine are great, love em!

Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:53 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,553 Posts
hehe, you still evaded it all....

You use:
1) The CS12 rotor.. that you have to machine down to fit your own housings

2) 28mm inrunners (tho that is irrelevant as you don't use the C12 housing - which is the main point anyway really)

3) You don't use their adaptor.... but a whimsical claim of it 'ran ok' - but just go any try balancing it to any great level and see what happens

4) Spinner..... at least they FIT the hub properly, but still need 'clocking/weighting' to get them to NOT be a detriment to what balance you have achieved with just the rotor. I don't mind that, seeing all spinners pretty well need that... even 'precision' ones.

5) Heatsink.... well you have a motor cone on the alloys, probably always used (?). So that is a heatsink....
Apart from that, even 1200W areas will run into the 60degC's and just plain silly to NOT cool a motor better to give it longer life! And then hot days etc....
So irrespective of what "always works for me" it will never over-ride "sensible engineering practice". So a heatsink of some form is strongly advised.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:58 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,849 Posts
man Peter knock it off already you have just caused me to agree with marks last three posts. lol!!!
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:05 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,553 Posts
And none of those posts were relevant to the CS12 housing issues......
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:20 PM
FireHawx
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Oct 2011
1,297 Posts
I think if you dislike them so much then post it ONCE, and move on. I have many of the 12's they work great w/inrunners and outrunners. I have the old grub and new collet and they both fit the bill nicely. You have valid points in YOUR opinion but please don't repeat yourself.
FireHawx is offline Find More Posts by FireHawx
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:01 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHawx View Post
I think if you dislike them so much then post it ONCE, and move on. I have many of the 12's they work great w/inrunners and outrunners. I have the old grub and new collet and they both fit the bill nicely. You have valid points in YOUR opinion but please don't repeat yourself.
Amen.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:15 PM
FireHawx
Joined Oct 2011
1,297 Posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:33 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,627 Posts
I'm going to be using my 12 blade with stock housing even if Peter doesn't like them ..
pencon is offline Find More Posts by pencon
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:37 PM
FireHawx
Joined Oct 2011
1,297 Posts
I second that! I will ONLY use stock housings.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:43 PM
FireHawx
Joined Oct 2011
1,297 Posts
I am working on my 262 w/ the 12's. I considered going HET 2W25 but when I looked they were outta stock at FJ USA and a few other places I looked state-side so I went with the Turnigy L2855/2800KV. All testing I have done (and read) proves this to be a cheap/mid power set-up w/ the 12's.
Last edited by FireHawx; Mar 07, 2013 at 10:45 PM. Reason: ........
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:29 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHawx View Post
I am working on my 262 w/ the 12's. I considered going HET 2W25 but when I looked they were outta stock at FJ USA and a few other places I looked state-side so I went with the Turnigy L2855/2800KV. All testing I have done (and read) proves this to be a cheap/mid power set-up w/ the 12's.
It's quite fun now days when you consider 600watt from a 70mm EDF as cheap/mid.

Back in the days when batteries still were round and people actually knew what ESC stands for 600watts were just about as much as you would ever want to shuf in. Same motors and ESCs were available then (Hacker B40's, Plettenbergs, Mega 16/XX) but still we settled at a lower power level.

Maybe flight time were the limiting factor.

Also today power to weight are reduced, where 600watts used a 12cells 2400pack at 1.7lb now days the pack weighs only 0.6lb, so the same input power has to move way less weight too.

Faster...harder
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:19 AM
FireHawx
Joined Oct 2011
1,297 Posts
Things have come a long way. I can't wait to see what's around the next corner.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 12:56 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Hopefully soon the jet manufacturers will start putting scale inlets and outlets on jets. Since we can now get 10 lbs. of thrust out of an 80mm (Stumax SM80) and way more out of a 90mm(Jetfan, CS12, etc.)
And we can now do this for a third the price we could even 4 years ago.
"We" being the folks that couldn't always afford a Shubie or a big Stu fan before!
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton