HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:45 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
It's acceptable in cool weather and if you run the motor at low rpm for a minute or so before shutting the motor down on the warmer days.

The only problem I had was that the heat loosened one of these motors off the CS10 motor mount and the motor bell touched the motor housing. This was after running the motor WOT (1000-1200w) the whole 3min flight.

The CS12 housing looks like a stronger housing and there's much more clearance for the motor bell.

I like the clearance on the 12 blade shroud but the plastic motor mount area is not very solid. I really don't like the recessed screw openings as the plastic holding the motor is very thin under the screw heads. Now I'm noticing the heat is deforming the mounting area on my 12 blade shrouds and I'm running just under 1000watts. Some type of insulation may be needed to make the shroud hold together.
Will try and work on a fix tomorrow.
Cheers
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:52 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
I like the clearance on the 12 blade shroud but the plastic motor mount area is not very solid. I really don't like the recessed screw openings as the plastic holding the motor is very thin under the screw heads. Now I'm noticing the heat is deforming the mounting area on my 12 blade shrouds and I'm running just under 1000watts. Some type of insulation may be needed to make the shroud hold together.
Cheers
You can reinforce the motor mount area with some good quality 1/8" aircraft plywood (not lite ply for sure). Rough up the plastic some and glue it in and soak it with thin CA. It will insulate and reinforce the stock shroud. It works well even on 90mm and 120mm fans.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:05 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,528 Posts
So that T-500 was done on a stand-off ?
Seemed a good result.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skyzone Goggles - Button Shield
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:10 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,528 Posts
I used quite large 3mm washers, so they 'bridged' well across the main motor housing 'legs'.
It all felt very solid then, but I still wasn't impressed with the whole way it is done.

You mean a ply wood plate from the rear???
A painful effort.... LOL
"Plug and pray" would have been nicer! Can't they ever get everything right!!??? hehe

I don't like the 12 bladers at all really..... I will stick with 10 blades. Even if that means only Landers available (their 10 blade rotors).
Not even sure I will use the 4 CS12's I have in anything at all!
Though I have not tested ( but will) a Lander 10 blade in the CS12 housing (because it is a larger diam than the CS10)... to see what the 7 stators help, or make worse....
But even then.... that CS12 motor mount issue makes them a nuisance anyway.... sigh

Maybe there will be a V3......?????
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:20 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,357 Posts
Yes the T-500 is 42mm in dia, so standoff is the only option.

The plywood reinforcement is glued in behind the stock motor mount. Then, for cooling, holes can be cut in the ply with a zip bit.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:32 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
You can reinforce the motor mount area with some good quality 1/8" aircraft plywood (not lite ply for sure). Rough up the plastic some and glue it in and soak it with thin CA. It will insulate and reinforce the stock shroud. It works well even on 90mm and 120mm fans.

That is a good plan KL. Even if the screws melt through the thin plastic mounting area, they will hold in the plywood.
Thanks Eric
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:47 PM
Joined Sep 2011
265 Posts
Quote:
That is a good plan KL. Even if the screws melt through the thin plastic mounting area, they will hold in the plywood.
Thanks Eric
Not really 4stripes, unless you have a longer motor shaft. I think a 1mm carbon plate will be better.
genghiskt is offline Find More Posts by genghiskt
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:06 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,498 Posts
Quote:
Cheers
While I like Knife's solution, I am also interested with what you might come-up with.

In the meantime, I am switching some of my 1000w+ setups to alloy housings....

Have you guys seen these ?

http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=2921
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:18 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,528 Posts
I have the 90mm version..... a hefty unit, somewhat like a typical Lander alloy housing. Even heftier! And also heavier than them.
I have some 70's on the way.
They are very well designed and made..... just a bit hefty and heavy. Somewhat overkill... like Landers are.
But the 90mms are bigger in dimension than typical 90's. The 70's specs are the same as 70's.... so hopefully they are not a wasteful in their overkill. hehe
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Feb 14, 2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:19 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,846 Posts
I have 70mm Housing in the works to accept 36mm dia inrunners.

Stay tuned.
efflux RC is online now Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:26 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,528 Posts
Umm, would that be best done via something made with a typical motor 'mount' tube size - just to fit 30mm if people want to (29.5mm motors), but have an extension mount (alloy) like Knife does, with an extra bearing in that.... because you really want the motor out of the fan housing area, to allow full airflow still. ???

Hmmm, maybe some 70mm rotors have 36mm, or close, diameter rotor hubs anyway - I never measured one..... then it would be ok.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:28 AM
Joined Jun 2012
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post

Stay tuned.
Please let me know how many stators?
PAPE is offline Find More Posts by PAPE
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:34 AM
Joined Dec 2008
1,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post

Stay tuned.
Determined to hit that 52K are you ?
pencon is online now Find More Posts by pencon
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:05 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,714 Posts
Those cyclone 70mm housings are more than double the weight of my 70mm housings, certainly heaps cheaper to make in china without any complex CNC machining to do but whats the end result going to be? really high quality housings are not 'that' expensive anyway.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:14 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPE View Post
Please let me know how many stators?
5 stators

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencon View Post
Determined to hit that 52K are you ?
Not with this rotor.
Although It can be used with the CS 70 rotor, it's intended for high (3kw+) power with other (cut down, 80-90mm ) rotors.
efflux RC is online now Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014