File flats on the shaft adaptor end....

this is my preferred method as well
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:56 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,004 Posts
Was having a tough time balancing the 70mm 10 and 12 blade fans with the Turnigy 2855 outrunners. Couldn't ever make it run as smooth as I would like. Finally found that the motors needed balancing first! First mount the motor backward in the shroud and leave the retaining "C" clip off the shaft. Ran the motor without fan/adapter and used the clock method just placing small pieces of duct tape on the outer bell. Pulled the bell/shaft out and added a dab of thick CA in between the magnets where needed. A few more runs adding tape in various locations until the right amount of glue was in place. The fans balanced much better and quicker with the motor running smooth first.
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:52 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
well Tam put together a TJ70\12 PnP unit last night for a customer and wow it sounded awesome in the TJ housing, it ran perfect until the spinner was installed which created an unacceptable level of imbalance which was corrected by clocking the spinner..........very nice setup I can tell from the look on Tams face that alloy spinners for the 12blade are comming soon
so tonight I think we will make up another one for the test stand and see what these puppies can do
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:16 PM
Česká republika, Hlavní město Praha, Praha
Joined Nov 2011
144 Posts
Well. Beside the no way to tighten issue has the v2 same piece of crap locking nut as the v1 had. The nut has the threaded hole off center. What is the problem to make a simple nut if they are producing quite engineering heavy rotor fan??
amalka is offline Find More Posts by amalka
Last edited by amalka; Jan 30, 2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:41 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,639 Posts
Well I have been able to run all my new CS12 combos now thanks to you guys ordering them I havent been able to thrust stand 2 of the combos but did take all the readings off the fans during final balancing and power runs.

Going by the thrust vs RPM of the CS12 2W25 combo I have on the stand right now it looks like the CS12 rotor produces a bit more thrust at the same RPM as the CS10 rotor.

My CS12 2W30 combo is running at 1645w which is 20w different to the CS10, rpm is up 600 so I will get that setup onto the stand today to get a thrust reading.
The mild 6s CS12 with 3W25 is pulling the same amps and watts as the CS10 does, RPM is very close too, I will thrust test this one after doing the hot 6s combo.

All the new combos are HERE
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:03 AM
Česká republika, Hlavní město Praha, Praha
Joined Nov 2011
144 Posts
Why there is such a big difference in sound and in thrust when the fan runs on the bench without and with the air intake lip? As soon as you put the lip on, the fan gets much more quiet and really starts to pull.
amalka is offline Find More Posts by amalka
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:46 AM View Post
charles nitrotek
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). Show it to me anyway.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:01 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
Thanks Peter
The LBP2860/3Y with 1840kv looks perfect but I can't find it for sale anywhere. Will try asking Leopard directly.
Cheers
Eric,

these are also an option for mild 6S....

http://www.bidproduct.com/more/cartview.php?id=7304
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:29 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,253 Posts
Yes, it is pretty amazing amalka!
The inlet lip just allows far better airflow/"breathing" so the fan can run to its full potential - instead of the 'air mess' when it is trying to get air in around those 'sharp' edges.

So to find out what a combo CAN truly do... you need to test with an inlet lip.
Then test it IN the plane, because whole the total of how the fan housing mates to the fuselage, and the ducting shape AND al the way out to the inlet EDGES (much like the lip helps) add up to how well it will be able to 'grab' and flow the air. Even the best ducting total will be notably less than the bench test gave.
It is not really any fixed number but can typically be 15% to 20% lower in-plane.... or even worse!
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:44 AM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Well I have been able to run all my new CS12 combos now thanks to you guys ordering them I havent been able to thrust stand 2 of the combos but did take all the readings off the fans during final balancing and power runs.

Going by the thrust vs RPM of the CS12 2W25 combo I have on the stand right now it looks like the CS12 rotor produces a bit more thrust at the same RPM as the CS10 rotor.

My CS12 2W30 combo is running at 1645w which is 20w different to the CS10, rpm is up 600 so I will get that setup onto the stand today to get a thrust reading.
The mild 6s CS12 with 3W25 is pulling the same amps and watts as the CS10 does, RPM is very close too, I will thrust test this one after doing the hot 6s combo.

All the new combos are HERE
Are you using the same housing for the 12 blade unit as you are for the 10 blade unit? My recollection was that the 12 blade unit was a bit bigger?
alexandermh is offline Find More Posts by alexandermh
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:48 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amalka View Post
Why there is such a big difference in sound and in thrust when the fan runs on the bench without and with the air intake lip? As soon as you put the lip on, the fan gets much more quiet and really starts to pull.
The lip allows the airflow to bend arround the curve of the lip allowing a greater volume of air into the fan thus more for air for the rotor to transfer power to, more push.
On a stationary fan the airflow into the unlipped fan is being sheared as it tried to turn the small radius of the shroud, this shearing of the flow is where the noise is coming from, any noise from the flow translates into ineficiency.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:09 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,004 Posts
Thanks Anlucas!
Ordered one to see if it will take 6s.
Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:23 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,418 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Anlucas!
Ordered one to see if it will take 6s.
Cheers
No problem.
I have a 2300kv version and it is quite good.

One? They come in lots of 5....
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:27 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,004 Posts
Found it on another vendor site for $30 ea shipped.
If it works, maybe I will get 5 more
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:37 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,418 Posts
Quote:
Found it on another vendor site for $30 ea shipped.
If it works, maybe I will get 5 more
Can you point me to this other vendor...

I pay $45 for one of these from my LHS.

Thanks