SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:51 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
923 Posts
Looks like some weight had to be used on your rotors. Did you find them to require much? I ask because I didn't notice any wobble with mine.
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:02 PM
Joined Jun 2007
470 Posts
I wish I had that dynamic balancer here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
got some rotors balanced last night I really like these new 12 blade rotors.
DenisM is offline Find More Posts by DenisM
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:11 PM
United States, NC, Randleman
Joined Nov 2011
269 Posts
So, they don't need to be balanced with the motor? I'm just getting into edf.
RCTodd is online now Find More Posts by RCTodd
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:19 PM
Aka: Ralph
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2012
314 Posts
Quote:
got some rotors balanced last night I really like these new 12 blade rotors.
Thats a nice setup. Whats it called as I want to check it out in the internet.
dangerdan is offline Find More Posts by dangerdan
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:45 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
Looks like some weight had to be used on your rotors. Did you find them to require much? I ask because I didn't notice any wobble with mine.
you can have a rotor spinning true (no wobble) and still be out of balance
where are you seeing any weight added

they are very similar to the 10 blade in that they are very consistant, the out of the plastic 12 blade rotors were all around .130 amplitude on front and rear planes. except-able balance for rotors coming out of Tams shop is .040 or better at 4k rpm. once I achieve that then the fine tuning starts, rotors can spin at 4k and be perfect balance at .040 and then increase the rpm to 5k and your balance goes to crap, this is caused by the front and rear plane balance interaction this has to be removed, (you guys that have static balanced your rotors before on a static balancer have probably seen this its when you spin the rotor and it comes to a stop and then magically starts spinning backwards that is the front to rear plane interaction.) when I am finished with a rotor the balance amplitude goes down with rpm. if you look at the screen shot you can see that the rpm is at 5k and the "finished" amplitude is .028 ........that will be a sweet rotor for someone
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:47 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,633 Posts
Quote:
you can have a rotor spinning true (no wobble) and still be out of balance
where are you seeing any weight added

they are very similar to the 10 blade in that they are very consistant, the out of the plastic 12 blade rotors were all around .130 amplitude on front and rear planes. except-able balance for rotors coming out of Tams shop is .040 or better at 4k rpm. once I achieve that then the fine tuning starts, rotors can spin at 4k and be perfect balance at .040 and then increase the rpm to 5k and your balance goes to crap, this is caused by the front and rear plane balance interaction this has to be removed, (you guys that have static balanced your rotors before on a static balancer have probably seen this its when you spin the rotor and it comes to a stop and then magically starts spinning backwards that is the front to rear plane interaction.) when I am finished with a rotor the balance amplitude goes down with rpm. if you look at the screen shot you can see that the rpm is at 5k and the "finished" amplitude is .028 ........that will be a sweet rotor for someone
Oooooh I want it.
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:58 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTodd View Post
So, they don't need to be balanced with the motor? I'm just getting into edf.
no they do, however if you use a motor with a true running shaft and then install Tams precision adapter which is true to less than 2 tenths of a thousandths of an inch, which by the way most machine shops do not have this ability, this requires very expensive equipment to achieve and we have it in our shop. all that is required is to assemble it and check for vibs......99.9 percent of the time it is dead smooth after assembly, the spinner is always the last variable and can cause issues so clocking the spinner is the last step if its needed at all
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:02 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdan View Post
Thats a nice setup. Whats it called as I want to check it out in the internet.
they will be on Tamjets.com sometime next week
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:40 PM
United States, NC, Randleman
Joined Nov 2011
269 Posts
Quote:
no they do, however if you use a motor with a true running shaft and then install Tams precision adapter which is true to less than 2 tenths of a thousandths of an inch, which by the way most machine shops do not have this ability, this requires very expensive equipment to achieve and we have it in our shop. all that is required is to assemble it and check for vibs......99.9 percent of the time it is dead smooth after assembly, the spinner is always the last variable and can cause issues so clocking the spinner is the last step if its needed at all
Thanks!
RCTodd is online now Find More Posts by RCTodd
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:12 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,602 Posts
Great info on the rotors.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:38 PM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
I kinda disagree about most shops not being able to hold .0002". Any shop/machinist worth his salt could hold .0002 on turned part. I routinely hold .000010 or better, now that's expensive equipment.
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:55 AM
USA, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Jul 2001
1,467 Posts
Anyone received rotors with blades molding defects? I just got two units and on both rotors two blades have portion, 1mm or more of trailing edge, missing, with one blade missing chunk of plastic just before the tip on trailing edge. I notified the seller saying this is not acceptable yet he he claims this has no effect on performance. My point was the quality control and I do want to get what I paid for, not just random pick from the production pile.
darmar is offline Find More Posts by darmar
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:07 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmar View Post
Anyone received rotors with blades molding defects? I just got two units and on both rotors two blades have portion, 1mm or more of trailing edge, missing, with one blade missing chunk of plastic just before the tip on trailing edge. I notified the seller saying this is not acceptable yet he he claims this has no effect on performance. My point was the quality control and I do want to get what I paid for, not just random pick from the production pile.
Yea mine has a couple small nicks, more like impact damage but may be from molding, hard to tell with mine. I am not going to worry about it as its really minor.
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:49 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,130 Posts
Windrider also has the V2 fans...

Just talked with a friend who received his 12-blade 70mm CS fan yesterday - and he got the new version with collet adaptors.
So even though it's not specified on the product description, he got the newer version (at the same price of the "old" one, and with very good 5$ shipping)...
cheers
Clemens
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:14 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmar View Post
This is what a $16 dollar fan looks like at times. As long as you balance it and it runs smooth you are well ahead of the game. As an example, if you bought a Shubeler 70mm fan and ran it a little out of balance you would lose more performance on an out of balance fan than you will with small nicks like that on one blade. Not that a Shubeler fan would be running out of balance unless you were using a cheap motor. Besides that, a cheap motor with a little lower efficiency will bring down overall efficiency far more than a little blade deformity I would imagine. I fly real jet engines and on pre-flight inspections I see blades that have been "dressed" to take out FOD damage below a certain level all the time. So even real jet engines have blade deformities that they pick up over time between overhauls.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member