Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:14 AM
Joined Dec 2012
32 Posts
Just had the profiles printed to scale at a printers in Leicester, they scanned a 1/72 3 view and blew it up to 1/4 scale also all of the fuzz profiles & wing sections. It took 11 meters of paper at 850 mm wide in total. I was gobsmacked at the results and the size of it, all for under 50. The fuzz is 13" wide & 18" tall at the biggest section. The drawings show all panel lines etc, great for detailing up at the end. From the drawings I have assumed the tail incidence to be 0 degrees.
machine man is offline Find More Posts by machine man
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:29 AM
SDF
Joined Sep 2002
267 Posts
Holy cow, Dave! I'd like to see a pic of those plans all laid out! Just out of curiosity, what three views are you working off of? I've seen a lot of them, but never found a set that were all around great. I haven't been working on mine a whole lot lately because of time, but I will get back to it. My CNC machine is begging for something to cut...

Will
FOShowNoClass is offline Find More Posts by FOShowNoClass
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:32 PM
Joined Dec 2012
32 Posts
I used the ones out of the Warpaint Series No 82 and from a 1981 Aviation News which had a full center page spread on all the mk's. Both matched each other very well, they are not perfect but pretty dam close, the lines are thick but I expected that and the profiles look correct. For example the root chord should be 23" and the plan is 23.1/8" with the fuzz blown up to scale length. The drawings are with a professional builder at present with a view to kit the aircraft in the future, I will take a photo when I get them back.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:24 PM
SDF
Joined Sep 2002
267 Posts
That's awesome. Much bigger than mine. I think the tailpipe sized for 90mm fan (3" exit hole) has a chord of around 13" without looking at my drawing. Good luck! Maybe Ken will chime in on his progress here soon.

Will
FOShowNoClass is offline Find More Posts by FOShowNoClass
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:19 PM
Suffolk
Joined Dec 2008
294 Posts
Provost

Hi Guys

I am also working on a Provost with intention of kitting it. The fuselage will be epoxy with foam wings. 72" span :-)
russdelaneyuk is offline Find More Posts by russdelaneyuk
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:53 AM
Joined Dec 2012
32 Posts
Great to see such interest in the early British Jets keep up the good work.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:31 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,108 Posts
Your building this for your friend!? Can I be your friend too

Nice project!
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:21 PM
Joined Sep 2008
23 Posts
here is a strikemaster i built for a friend a few years ago, 1/5th scale.

You need everything you can get well foward!
Look for my fully moulded kit later in the year
scraper is offline Find More Posts by scraper
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:44 AM
Joined Dec 2012
32 Posts
I was discussing turbine location yesterday with fellow modelers and had concluded that due to the short nose in relation to the tail length the turbine would have to be on the C of G with possibly the tanks wrapped around it on both sides and or just in front, as per the Kerry Sterner Vamp and as you said all the heavy stuff as far forward as possible. It will need a long twin wall jet pipe and choice of servo's for tail surfaces will depend on weight as much as power, possibly non metal gears. What size turbine did you use and final weight without fuel.

Dave
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:32 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,108 Posts
Apologies everyone I havent looked at my thread over the whole Christmas break, I am working on getting the wings completed on my current project - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1680859 which will be done end next week then I can start building here.

Machine man - wow that sounds like an amazing project and is going to knock the socks of this one by the sound of it. My brain struggles with the dimensions of this plane, it seems to be as broad as its long so although it looks small the fuselage is actually quite big. Do you envisage any problems with such a long thrust tube? as it stands mine will be over 800mm in length if I have the motor where it is shown. I use AutoCAD R14 for my drawings by the way.

Scraper - that looks superb, will be pleased if this one turns out half as good, and such good photography, thanks for the tip over the weight issue, will give the design some more thought

Its great to see interest building up, will keep you all updated on my progress
heli_madken is offline Find More Posts by heli_madken
Last edited by heli_madken; Jan 10, 2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:57 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,108 Posts
Okay so with the comments about positioning the turbine close to the CG I had another look at my design, as the fuselage in that area is over 300mm deep I am able to move the turbine under the fuel tank and on to the CG.

It wont intrude into the cockpit as the area is covered by a shelf

This will mean I have to look at the design of the spars because they interfere with each other but as I am using carbon this is doable I think.

It also means the thrust tube will be longer at over 1m, is this ok

Will also have to think about access to the turbine for maintenance, how about heatshielding for the fuel tank will this be an issue?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:13 AM
Joined Dec 2012
32 Posts
Ken great to see your back on the project, I have had a word with a man in the know and the length of jet pipe up to around 1 meter is not an issue, over that size then as for me I will have to do some trials regarding length of the tapered section after the bell mouth, otherwise he see's no problem apart from actually welding up a tube of around 1400 mm in my case. He is also talking of using 100 mm dia tube for the outer skin and that will work well with my method of assembly around a 4" dia drain pipe on the thrust line which will align the turbine & jet pipe. Its all coming together quite nicely .
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:34 PM
Hegra, Norway
Joined Feb 2007
140 Posts
Nice project!
When I built my Saab J29 I tried to get by without balance weight. The servos for the tail was placed just behind the canopy opening. Rudder has kevlar pull-pull, and elevator has a well supported 5mm carbon pushrod. Short pushrods are nice, but long runs could be made to be very tight.
I would have mounted the engine closer to cg, but the wing tube got in the way. Next version will have short tubes clamped to a bulkhead.
For the long thrust tube I can recommend a tube built to the "Wright" principle.

Regards

Lars
LN-JET is offline Find More Posts by LN-JET
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:55 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,108 Posts
Hi Lars, Could you explain the Wright Principle please?

I think the concept of placing the turbine over the CG will work privided that the heat generated by the Turbine isnt too great for the fuel tank above. I noticed on a friends turbine model that there doesnt seem to be a great deal of heat generated by the canister itself, any opinions, if it is going to be an issue any suggestions on insulation, I cant really move either component vertically for more clearance

As the main carbon spar is interfered with by the turbine I have placed a horizontal shelf made from 1.5mm carbon that both acts as a mount for the fuel tank but also acts as a tension/compression member for the main spar

One advantage of this design is that I no longer need to make inlet ducts
Last edited by heli_madken; Jan 18, 2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:36 AM
Joined Dec 2012
32 Posts
Have you thought about using saddle tanks around both sides, a lot of jet manufacturers use them with a small header above the turbine level. How have you worked out you thrust line, from pics I have studied and the wing incidence I am looking at around 2 degrees down towards the tail, which should help lift the turbine in the fuzz as full size and hopefully not interfere with the wing center section. Its all good fun this building from scratch Still think your drawing are great and put my wallpaper to shame