Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by long leng View Post
looool yes.
hey, the hk comes with carbon horns.
Yeah, that looks like an improvment over both.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:00 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
So I see carbon gear, carbon horns, ball links, a throw meter, canopy is slightly back, and an obvious rudder size and hieght increase. I can't really tell what the leading edge is like based on the pictures, but if they fixed the rest, they probably addressed the wing as well...

Very interested in a flight report to see if they made serious progress at a legit alternative for the overseas guys...

Interesting, but definitely not surprising...

As for those saying its an exact replica- I would wait until someone actually has one in hand before we rush to assumptions..
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:00 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
...I would wait until someone actually has one in hand before we rush to assumptions..
Safe call. It looks awfully similar so far though, both visually and structurally.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:25 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
As for those saying its an exact replica- I would wait until someone actually has one in hand before we rush to assumptions..
Well I have the real AJ Slick 'in hand' and I've looked very carefully at the photos on the HK web site, and as far as i can tell they are identical in every detail, right down to the pattern of the lightening holes in the formers, the tailweel bracket and the gauge supplied to measure control surface throw.

Someone said earlier than the rudder was different in that the AJ had pushrod operation. Nope, they are identical, both this HK version and the AJ have pull-pull closed loop rudder.

3DHS must be pretty hacked off. Seems that they are getting targeted by some Chinese factory (it's not only HK selling copies by the way). First the 57" Extra is ripped off, now the 51" Slick. The fact that the Chinese copy stuff shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone, but that doesn't make it right of course.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:52 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
It states it requires 12g servos. Am I right in saying the 3DHS 51 requires 20g servos, like the 82MG's, 85MG's, 5085MG,s, 5087, etc.? Because I feel like a 12g servo like an 65MG would just be too small in this. It will be interesting to see if they shrunk the size of the servo slots or maybe it's an error on the site?

They also specify a 40-60A ESC but wouldn't 60-75A be better?

I'm just curious as if it is just a copy I guess it should require the exact same equipment as the real 51 Slick.
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:21 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
It states it requires 12g servos.
You often have to take HK's component recommendations with a large pinch of salt. I'd be pretty confident that the servo wells will be sized the same as the AJ slick.. i.e. to suit Hitec HS-85MG servos.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:39 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
You often have to take HK's component recommendations with a large pinch of salt. I'd be pretty confident that the servo wells will be sized the same as the AJ slick.. i.e. to suit Hitec HS-85MG servos.
Oh okay, thanks for that

I wonder how much different it will fly from the 3DHS 51 Slick? I guess if it is an exact copy then the same although earlier in the thread it said the way the canopy is positioned is supposedly different so maybe that will change it a bit?

If it is a copy and if I were to live in the US it would probably be best to buy the real thing (better ethics, better colour scheme, and only $100 more which is peanuts compared the price of good equipment). Although I think for international buyers who cannot afford the shipping or maybe out of stock at their local importer, I could see why you would want it.

I have no intention in buying this but I'm very curious to get direct flight comparisons. I was thinking of buying for the sake of reporting the differences and just curiosity but the fact I don't already have a 51 Slick doesn't put me in the best situation to compare. But am very curious nonetheless
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:54 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,453 Posts
The morality of copying deserves its own thread in LTUP. (Historically, I believe the Chinese had quite a different view of intellectual property than western peoples, and even among western peoples, copying isn't exactly frowned upon universally...only in today's modern corporate IP world do corporations want us to treat copying as tantamount to theft)

The plane has "Hobby King" stamped to the inside of the motor box. I don't think this was a speculative build by some random Chinese factory, but rather a plane that was ordered by Hobby King, which other RCG members have told me, is not a Chinese company.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:06 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
...although earlier in the thread it said the way the canopy is positioned is supposedly different so maybe that will change it a bit?
Not sure on what basis they said that but I have the AJ Slick and from looking very closely at the various photos on the HK web site the canopy shape and position looks to be 100% identical.

Seems to me like the only plausible explanations are:
  • The Chinese factory that produces the AJ Slick for 3DHS is running a sideline (unlikely)
  • Another factory has got hold of the design drawings and laser cutting files for the AJ Slick
  • They reverse engineered it from a actual 3DHS model
All speculation on my part of course.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:09 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
The morality of copying deserves its own thread in LTUP. (Historically, I believe the Chinese had quite a different view of intellectual property than western peoples, and even among western peoples, copying isn't exactly frowned upon universally...only in today's modern corporate IP world do corporations want us to treat copying as tantamount to theft)

The plane has "Hobby King" stamped to the inside of the motor box. I don't think this was a speculative build by some random Chinese factory, but rather a plane that was ordered by Hobby King, which other RCG members have told me, is not a Chinese company.
Very interesting point you raise. I'm not sure whether the thread should or should not encompass the discussion of the ethical issues of copying (that is if it is even a copy which it may very well not be). I think your suggestion of placing the copying discussion of it in LTUP is a good one!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:14 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Not sure on what basis they said that but I have the AJ Slick and from looking very closely at the various photos on the HK web site the canopy shape and position looks to be 100% identical.

• The Chinese factory that produces the AJ Slick for 3DHS is running a sideline (unlikely)
  • Another factory has got hold of the design drawings and laser cutting files for the AJ Slick
All very interesting points indeed
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:14 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
The plane has "Hobby King" stamped to the inside of the motor box. I don't think this was a speculative build by some random Chinese factory, but rather a plane that was ordered by Hobby King,
Very valid point... And I also agree that the Chinese just seem to have a different view of the world as far as intellectual property is concerned. What's dirty rotten low down tricks to us appears to be just regular business to them.

I think I recall BMW (and maybe others) recently trying to sue a Chinese car manufacturers that sells blatant rip-offs of BMW models in the Chinese domestic market. Despite the car clearly being a copy BMW lost the court case.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:17 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,498 Posts
Quote:

I have another possibility.

Maybe 3DHS isn't meeting the minimum purchase amount set by the manufacturer. The manufacturer most likely has surplus kits laying around.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:22 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,757 Posts
BMW goes to war against Chinese carmaker - part 1/2 (6 min 5 sec)
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:23 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Comparing the photos, the airfoil of the horizontal stab (and the maybe the airfoil of the main wings) looks thinner. I'd be interested to see if that's the case as I guess that would make it faster and less floaty? Although maybe it's just the angle of the pictures
RCG Plus Member