SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:12 AM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Build Log
'OllyWing

Well, the back meds have me confined to a bed for extended periods of time. And during that time my mind takes me to new far away places where things get curiouser and curiouser! I have taken the pills that make you small so now I have a different point of view about things. I'd like to resurrect a horse that succumbed to a serious throuncing while trying to come up with a feasable, working model using a horizontal rotor wing or tumblewing a few years ago.

The concept had been proven by Al (a.k.a. Rotorheid) with his Baco-Liner MKII and I must say his approach was novel and managed to produce a flying, controllable RC model. OORAH! Al I wish I had seen this forum back then because I was on a similar quest in 2005 with a tumble wing of my own. I had stumbled upon an article of Flying Models March 2005. It seem good 'ol Roy Clough, Jr. had his own trials and tribulations while trying to design the Tumblewing.

Being the intrepid (distinguished by most as crazy) builder I am, I sure wanted to have a go at this one. Back in the day, I was a busy pylon racer and the World Models T-34 was the plane of choice. It wasnt long before I had a fine collection of broken planes (from midairs) that were only slightly broke and therefore could not be thrown away but must be kept as parts planes so that I could someday reincarnate them. Now was as good a time as any to repurpose one of those fuses. Rather than construct a whole new fuse, I'd thought I'd remove the cancerous portion and remate the fuse back together. Then it would be a simple matter of constructing the tumble wings, bolting them to the modified fuse and off I'd go!

I am going to post the 2005 article here as soon as I get my scanner working again. Well, it didnt seem my kit bash was going to be very successful. Although the specs say Roy's model was 7.5lbs, I have a hard time believing it actually weighed that much. My T-34s were only 5lbs, race ready, and they were constructed much more stout than the Tumblewing. I was already feeling that my plane was going to be exorbitantly heavy and was doomed for failure from the first crazy thought.

Edit: Sorry for the abrupt end but my computer crashed as I was writing this. I thought all was lost and then it pops up here!
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Last edited by skydanz; Nov 17, 2012 at 12:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:58 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,881 Posts
Don,

Sounds an interesting project, sorry to hear you aren't 100%.

I made the Baco a few years ago but it wasn't very successful in that I only ever made about 10 circuits. I must have built it heavy but it was fun.

Regards

Rich
SafeLandings is online now Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:14 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Hey Rich, I was "trying" to clean out my attic a few weeks ago and ran accros a partially destroyed Tumblewing and thought I should try fixing it. (Must be the meds clouding my judgement.) While doing a little more research I ran accross all the great stuff you guys did a few yers ago! Great stuff!

Anyway, I'm going to see if I can get it going again. I had some success with it originally but after doing so many repairs, it started getting too heavy. I decided to scrap the wing and start with a fresh one. I've taken a few pics of the reconstruction and will post as soon as I get my desktop pc back up and running. That thing crashes more than Lindsay Lohan! My iPad just doesn't let me post pics on RCG.

I have the original Flying Models Magazine article in PDF but I don't think I can post it here without some sort of infringements.

Don
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:36 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
BTW A little backstory on the name of this contraption. After the umpteenth time crashing this thing, one of my "friends", who would always jump in and help with repairs, came up and said in his best Oliver Hardy impersonation "Well, here's another fine mess you've gotten me into!"
I thought, how appropriate! I'll name it Olly! Yeah, OllyWing!

Don
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:09 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,222 Posts
I'll follow along
Mud Duck Bill is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:50 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
I just came to the realization that many of you new to this forum don't know what I'm talking about building here. I meant to go into more detail but keep getting distracted with other things at home. Here is a YouTube video that should give you an idea of how this thing works.

TumbleWing first flight (2 min 24 sec)

Don
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:03 AM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,222 Posts
What is the purpose of a tumble wing and w hat are the advantage / disadvantages of one?
Right off the bat I am thinking of a drum with little Clark y slats perhaps aileron strips shaped to a airfoil and set in channels similar to a pedestal fan blade drum.
Just me thinking out load!

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:47 AM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Duck Bill View Post
What is the purpose of a tumble wing and w hat are the advantage / disadvantages of one?
Did I mention I'm on meds?

I suppose much of this stuff is purely a lesson in humility.

"I build them because I can, I fly them because you won't"

Get well soon buddy

Don
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:59 AM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Quote:
Right off the bat I am thinking of a drum with little Clark y slats perhaps aileron strips shaped to a airfoil and set in channels similar to a pedestal fan blade drum.

Bill
All kidding aside, you have excellent intuition on this. The theory is based on the Savonius windmill. There's been a ton of research on various ways to convert kinetic energy of an airflow into mechanical energy. There are a few variations that work much like what you have described!

Some of the guys on this forum have built and flown tumblewings, just for the fun and uniqueness of it. (Rotorheid, Safelandings, to name a few)

Don

P.s. I hope to start hotwire cutting the foam wings today. I promise, pictures soon!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:27 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,222 Posts
Are you sharing yor meds.?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:53 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Here's the first set of pics. The Tumblewing axles will be 7/32" rods. They will insert into the wing center section and control arms soldered on. The center section will hold the 5 degrees of dihedral on each side. The ailerons are tip ailerons and controlled from the servo in the center section. The wing has a carbon fiber tube running through the center and acts as the bearing.

I'm deviating from the plans and taking a big chance by putting the wing on the bottom. I'm hoping the propwash will help with the spin a bit rather than slow the wings down. I am also making this a trike gear rather than a tail dragger. Since there is no real angle of attack on the wings, I'm hoping the ground handling will be improved a bit. It all sounds good in theory, right?

Don
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:05 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Hotwire foam cutting

I managed to get out and cut the wings. I'm using high density pink foam. The hotwire cuts through it like "buttah" I will also cut the hole in the middle for the carbon fiber tube to be inserted. Keeps the tube perfectly centered rather than trying to drill or push a brass tube through.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:11 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Quick view of the plan in the article to give you an idea of what I'm doing... or at least attempting to do

Don
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Aug 2003
141 Posts
FanWing

Quote:

Bill
Hmmm. Is this kind of like what you are thinking about with the drum and slats? This one has a powered drum and is called a fanwing:
FanWing a new type of aircraft (0 min 7 sec)
x-surfer is offline Find More Posts by x-surfer
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Aug 2003
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydanz View Post
Quick view of the plan in the article to give you an idea of what I'm doing... or at least attempting to do

Don
This is not that far fetched. There's even a patent (3380689) where you might get some good ideas.

I'll try and scan in some photos from an old book I have devoted to how the author of this patent wanted to use tumblewings in the Swiss alps for short takeoff and landings (I think).
x-surfer is offline Find More Posts by x-surfer