1,006 Posts
yeah working on them is a great time most of the time
rustlererad3 is offline Find More Posts by rustlererad3
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:41 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
I own a rustler.

Hey check my blog out it might help you make a decision or get back into it. : jacobsrc.blogspot.com
XRoombaX is offline Find More Posts by XRoombaX
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:36 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRoombaX View Post
Hey check my blog out it might help you make a decision or get back into it. : jacobsrc.blogspot.com
Enough spam already, give it a rest!
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:10 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
771 Posts
So I will open up my new Traxxas Rusler on Christmas Eve.

This will be my first R.C. car. What's the first spare part I should buy for it? Another battery? What is a good second battery? I get the feeling I will be wanting to drive this car more than I fly my planes because it looks like I can drive this car in many kinds of bad weather. So I think I will definitely need another battery. What do you all suggest for a second battery?

Also, what's a part that usually breaks first and what parts should I have many spares of?

I was looking at a Traxxas truck on YouTube and the driver was driving it in water. Wow. Doesn't that fry the electronics? I know it's all suppose to be waterproof, but still. I just can't see myself driving through a mud-puddle with a nice working R.C. car. lol.

Thanks much!
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:33 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,757 Posts
If you plan to stay with NiMH packs (like the stock one), the traxxas packs work well. If you want to upgrade to lipo packs (will require a new charger too) there's lots of budget friendly options.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:25 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
771 Posts
I have many lipos because I fly R.C. planes/gliders. Will a 3 cell lipo work with the stock set up (ESC) in my car?

http://www.rcsuperstore.com/Traxxas_..._p/tra3705.htm
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:27 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,757 Posts
Nope, only good for 2s lipo or 8 cells NiMH.

http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...5rustler-specs

Since you already have a lipo charger, these would work well:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...-hardcase.html
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:05 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Nope, only good for 2s lipo or 8 cells NiMH.

http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...5rustler-specs

Since you already have a lipo charger, these would work well:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...-hardcase.html

Thanks for the info. Is there a big difference between lipos and NiMH batteries in R.C. cars?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:50 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,757 Posts
Yep, pretty huge difference.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:26 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Yep, pretty huge difference.

I've only used a NiHM in my first glider. The one nice thing about that battery was that I didn't have to worry about hurting the battery. Also it seemed to have juice for a good long time. All my other planes have been lipos.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:14 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
771 Posts
Wow, this Rustler has some weight. Even without its battery it has some good weight. I didn't know R.C. cars were so heavy. I checked out the parts diagram that came with it. Holy cow! Do R.C. car people open up and fix/tune those transmissions with all those little gears? I feel like I may have to buy a book on this subject. lol. Wow. I had no idea they had so many moving parts. Lot more than airplanes.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:07 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
well yes rebuilding the transmission is a lot of fun and the rustler isnt too heavy its a great car i have 2 of them i race
rustlererad3 is offline Find More Posts by rustlererad3
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:00 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
771 Posts
Oh yeah! I drove my Rustler outside for the first time today. I went to my brothers house out in the country. I drove it on the road in front of his house. Not too much traffic.

Wow, that thing was fun! The battery lasted a long time. I probably could have kept driving too but I was getting hungry so I stopped after a while. I did not time how long I drove but I was driving it for good long while.

It went fast too. No, not 70 mph, probably 25-30 mph but that was fast enough for me right now. I think the funnest part was when I drove up on the grass and bumpy areas.

Oh, and my poor new clean car is now dirty!!!! Yikes, I didn't know they could get so dirty so quick! lol.

I have to say this thing was fun and I can't wait to take it out again. And the battery lasted a long time. I use Lipo in all my planes but it's nice to have this long lasting nihm and not have to worry about reaching the LVC limit and hurting the battery.

Any secrets to cleaning my new Rustler? Is it safe to run water over it to clean it?

Thanks!
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:17 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
Oh yeah! I drove my Rustler outside for the first time today. I went to my brothers house out in the country. I drove it on the road in front of his house. Not too much traffic.

Wow, that thing was fun! The battery lasted a long time. I probably could have kept driving too but I was getting hungry so I stopped after a while. I did not time how long I drove but I was driving it for good long while.

It went fast too. No, not 70 mph, probably 25-30 mph but that was fast enough for me right now. I think the funnest part was when I drove up on the grass and bumpy areas.

Oh, and my poor new clean car is now dirty!!!! Yikes, I didn't know they could get so dirty so quick! lol.

I have to say this thing was fun and I can't wait to take it out again. And the battery lasted a long time. I use Lipo in all my planes but it's nice to have this long lasting nihm and not have to worry about reaching the LVC limit and hurting the battery.

Any secrets to cleaning my new Rustler? Is it safe to run water over it to clean it?

Thanks!
The Rustler is a great truck To clean it give it a good blast with the air compressor.You can get some nylon bristle brushes(Harbor Freight) to knock off the dirt. I use Non Chlorinated Break Cleaner you can find it at Walmart cheap or the auto parts store. A also use it to clean the bearings you will need to re-oil them after you clean them. I use a small amount of WD40 on the plastic pieces. Less is more with WD40 it can attract dirt. Wipe it all off and hit it again with the air-compressor and your good.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure