Closed Thread
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:52 PM
United States, OH, St Paris
Joined Apr 2000
34 Posts
Help!
Source for Wood Kit or Plans

Hello all,

First let me say I have been reading in this forum for about 18 hours the past several evenings, in search of paper plans or wood kit source or even short kit source to purchase from? I did find the place in Germany. Is there some place closer?

Also found the some information on downloads, but the transfer to printed paper would be the challenge as something I have not ever attempted.

Electric power is an option,I have no slope close to where i live, so its pretty flat terrain here.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks Dan
Dan D is offline Find More Posts by Dan D
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:49 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,692 Posts
First things first, hello to a fellow Ohioan! What specifically are you looking for? If you find a set of plans you like, say the Sparrow that is currently being disused in another thread or maybe the Grosswing , sense you said your looking for power, (looks like an easy one to convert to RC and electric), then all you need do is load the pdf files on a usb memory stick or copy to disk and boddly-bop on down to your local office store, staples / office max etc.(should be one just over the hill there in Springfield) and have it printed out at full scale. Smaller ones can be tiled out on a home printer and taped together, though that is sometimes a bit more work than what it is worth.

If thermal flying interest you at all, your in a good place in your part of the state, lots of plowed fields and wide open spaces. and there are lot's of good flying wing gliders here in this forum.

Let us know what you are interested most in and we can go from there. Note, when I say "we" and "us", that could be limited to me and the mouse in my pocket but something tells me more than one will be willing to get you pointed in the right direction.

Mark
Quick61 is online now Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:13 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,325 Posts
Have a look at cpdude's blog,he has some nice Horten wings,mostly with a power option.
Hope we'll see a build thread.
Regards Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined Apr 2000
34 Posts
Thanks

Mark and Stuart, thank you for the reply.

I do fly Thermal Sailplanes and that has given me many hours of building and flying enjoyment.
I love to build also, and have been building model airplanes since 1964.
What i would wish to stay away from is printing and taping pages together, I have limited computer skills and no experience with CAD.
So i will seek out a memory stick or get some help making a disc to take to local office supply.
I dont have a winch, but do have a large High Start, I fly alone at home,
this is my main reason for interest in Electric Launch.
I would also prefer wood construction over foam.
So back to this process of having plans printed, I am willing to learn but may have some elementary questions for this group about this process.( first question how large of a memory stick do i need?)
I would like a Horten type wing design that fairly stable in flight.
so before I decide on a design, I was thinking tailess without vertical stabilizer or rudder.
Mark, I did look at both links you sent for planes and I thank you. I was looking more toward something without turned up wingtips, but with a swept wing.
I will look at Cpdudes blog next.
Am I being unrealistic in my quest ?

Thank you both for your answers
Dan
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:11 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,325 Posts
From what I've seen in my comparatively short time on here you should have no trouble finding what you are looking for.There are quite a few guys in the USA and Europe who will be able to steer you towards something suitable.
Regards Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan D View Post
Mark and Stuart, thank you for the reply.

I do fly Thermal Sailplanes and that has given me many hours of building and flying enjoyment.
I love to build also, and have been building model airplanes since 1964.
What i would wish to stay away from is printing and taping pages together, I have limited computer skills and no experience with CAD.
So i will seek out a memory stick or get some help making a disc to take to local office supply.
I dont have a winch, but do have a large High Start, I fly alone at home,
this is my main reason for interest in Electric Launch.
I would also prefer wood construction over foam.
So back to this process of having plans printed, I am willing to learn but may have some elementary questions for this group about this process.( first question how large of a memory stick do i need?)
I would like a Horten type wing design that fairly stable in flight.
so before I decide on a design, I was thinking tailess without vertical stabilizer or rudder.
Mark, I did look at both links you sent for planes and I thank you. I was looking more toward something without turned up wingtips, but with a swept wing.
I will look at Cpdudes blog next.
Am I being unrealistic in my quest ?

Thank you both for your answers
Dan
Dan, any memory stick will do. Even the smallest ones will hold more plans than you could build in years. CPdude has some nice builds, but like most things Horten, at least as I have found, finding a "full" set of plans with rib detail and build tabs / jig to scratch build from is almost like finding hens teeth. At least in the "free to download" department. And try to find a set of cut files for one... Hortens are best built that way, with build tabs or a jig due to the nonlinear twist. Trying to get that right with out such building aids is a difficult task at best. There are some providing short kits for the Hortens, but the hundreds of $$ they wanted for what was just a hand full of plywood... I didn't want a Horten that bad!

On the other hand, there seem to be plenty of plans out there for the old timers and even a good selection of planks and a few Swept wing finless like The Paoli which could be fitted with a pod and prop.

Sorry I can't be any more help in the plans department, but if you find one, I sure can tell you what you need to know to get it printed out.

Mark
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Apr 2000
34 Posts
Ok so after some, review I really like the shape of the HO -18. Some Planes along that shape have my intrest,the HO-III, Mini-Elli, HO-XII, But the plane does not have to be exact scale. I am just trying to explain the basic design i was thinking about.
What I am looking for is a design that can fly well, if built properly and balanced correctly. If it can Thermal after a 30-60 second motor run, that would be a plus.
Please give your input if I am being unreasonable, i dont want to spend a long time building with a poor design.

Thanks, Dan
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Apr 2000
34 Posts
Mark, the term "cut files" did help me as far as terminology, and building jig or with tabs would be fine, I am willing to pay for the cut files or basic plan for the Jig. I will search posts here for photo's of a Jig.
I dont want this to appear like, I am just looking for Free Plans.
I do now understand a Kit most likely does not exist.

Thanks Dan
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan D View Post
Mark, the term "cut files" did help me as far as terminology, and building jig or with tabs would be fine, I am willing to pay for the cut files or basic plan for the Jig. I will search posts here for photo's of a Jig.
I dont want this to appear like, I am just looking for Free Plans.
I do now understand a Kit most likely does not exist.

Thanks Dan
Here is a post with a simple building jig for the Klingberg Wing (linear twist) but there are still no rib templates so one is still left with an incomplete plan... And if you look at the most excelent Schapel Sa882 here in this forum, John has many pics of build tabs on the ribs.

Oh, and I wouldn't be ashamed of looking for free plans, after all, free is the best price. Though sometimes you get just what you pay for.

Full kits for a Horten E-glider... yea, not so much, but there are a number of those out there that can provide laser or router cut short kits. I would look around at the builds, find one you just can't live without and PM the person and ask where / how they got their parts and how you might be able to grab up a set.

Mark
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Apr 2000
34 Posts
I guess maybe a better way to say this is. I am not opposed to pay for quality plans, and nothing wrong with public domain stuff. You are correct, sometimes you do get exactly what you pay for!

Thanks for the great information.

Dan
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:54 PM
Crazy Cessna Owner
Australia, SA, Windsor Gardens
Joined May 2001
1,931 Posts
CP dude has the authority to cut some kits from some of the German designers. They all hover around these boards from time to time.
Robbie d is offline Find More Posts by Robbie d
Closed Thread